Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on December 11, 2016, at 1:29 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Bard's Exile

by Carolyn Gross

The First Ten

Because Bard's Exile was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as I love the genre. The cover is lovely and the blurb informative. The official review had me more intrigued though. The sampled started really well, with the card games, and the protagonist impressed me. The premise sure sounds unique, with a blind protagonist no less. And a skilled fighter too! I enjoyed the sample but my reading list is just too full to justify buying another book.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 10:35 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

CrescentMoon

I love the cover of this book. It's so beautiful and eye-catching. After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this up because it's so intriguing and I love fantasy. After reading the first ten pages, I am actually hooked. I really like the premise of this book and the world building. I think I will read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 12:09 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

I really like the cover art of this novel. I thought the blurb did a good job of making me interested in reading the sample.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is well-written and professionally edited. Although the online book club review states that this story is unique. I feel like the plot is too familiar, therefore I do not intend to purchase this novel today.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 12:13 pm by Sarah_Khan.

hsimone

The cover and title are both appealing, the blurb is interesting, and I do enjoy a good fantasy read. The customer and OBC are all positive. However, I would not have sampled this read on my own, due to the price and number of pages, without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The author wrote a very compelling beginning - Marek's dealings and being accused of being a demon and I can easily picture what is happening. I think this could be an engaging read, however, I do not plan on purchasing this book today because of the price and I don't have KU.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 12:19 pm by hsimone.

Vermont Reviews

I knew after reading just a few paragraphs that this story was one that I wanted to add to my 2017 reading list. Carolyn Gross creates characters who show her readers a bards tale not soon to be forgotten. Mark is my favorite. Looking forward to seeing how this one ends. Well written.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 2:16 pm by Vermont Reviews.

jamesabr

This sample was very immersive. If I were not a part of this program, I would've read it based off of the OnlineBookClub review. Overall, the first ten pages were good exposition. My introduction to Marek wasn't forced, and I could tell that he was blind, which is an important characteristic of his, from what I could tell. I hope to gather more information on him as I continue to read the book after my purchase. The best part, for me, was how close Marek came to being killed/injured at the bar shortly after being called a demon. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 7:13 pm by jamesabr.

James Craft

I like the cover of this book and the fact that it received a max rating from the nine book club rating. It seems like an excellent work and very compelling but right now I just have too many books to fit it in. All in all the hook is good in the opening pages but it could use a little bit better of plan opening to set up the world.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 7:32 pm by James Craft.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the book sample, I would have read the book. The cover is beautiful and it drew me in right away. The blurb also sounded interesting. I really liked the writing style and the unique character, which is why I have not changed my mind. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on February 11, 2017, at 9:25 pm by psychopathycathy.

ZenaLei7

This book had an official review on onlinebookclub.org so the review made me interested in reading it. After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked. I am definitely going to read the whole book. I love how the author started the book with a bang and created suspense and tension within the first few moments in the first chapter. I'm already loving the main character and the plot seems to be very interesting. The book also seems to be well edited.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 1:03 am by ZenaLei7.

L_Therese

The cover of this book is so beautiful, I would probably have noticed it even if it weren't for this program. Even so, I initially dismissed it as likely to be just another (probably YA) fantasy book- until I read the OBC review. In that review, I learned that I can expect a well-written, balanced story that featured a protagonist who is not only participating in the plot but also rising above a physical disability. It sounded different, and I was curious. When I read the sample, I couldn't stop. This one needs to go on my list.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 1:27 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I did not notice any errors, and I quite like the cover. I'm not sure if I would have looked at this, but the sample has me intrigued. I do believe I would enjoy this, and hope to get a physical copy sometime. However, I'm forced to answer no, because I won't be purchasing the eBook.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 6:40 am by Gravy.

bookowlie

The cover picture is intriguing, but it made me think the book would be a Western-style saga instead of fantasy. The Amazon summary is technically well written. However, the last paragraph is confusing since it appears to be about a completely different book. The main character is introduced well in the sample pages, and the writing has a nice flow. Unfortunately, I didn't really care for the subject matter, so I am going to take a pass on this book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 9:12 am by bookowlie.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of the book is interesting. I read the OBC review, which gave it 4 stars and really enjoyed it. I read the first few pages and felt it seemed a little different than the usual sci-fi/fantasy novels. The writing was well-edited. The author was descriptive in both the setting and the characters. I was drawn into the story within the first few pages. I may purchase this book in the future. However, I currently have a long reading list and will put this one off for awhile because of the genre.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 2:33 pm by Momlovesbooks.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. While I found the pace of the plot in the sample a little slow, I thought that the book was well written and professionally edited. The book has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I am sure that fans of the genre will enjoy reading the book, but I will not be reading it further.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 2:34 pm by AA1495.

mratdegraff91

I loved the cover of this novel and was immediately interested in checking it out. After reading the OnlineBookClub review my curiosity was increased even more. In sampling the book I fell in love with Marek's character and was interested to know more about him. It also fascinates me how he is such an amazing fighter while being blind. In the sample I did not observe any grammatical errors. I look forward to finsihing this book. I would have purchased this book with out testing it after reading the book summary.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 6:21 pm by mratdegraff91.

Kdonegan91

The cover caught my attention right away. I normally do not like books in this genre but read the first two chapter anyways. At first, I was intrigued but as the sample progressed I became bored. The sample was well-edited. However, it just didn't flow well for me. I will not purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 9:58 pm by Kdonegan91.

anneloretrujillo

Without this program I would not have sampled this book. The genre isn't really one that I enjoy. There have been few sci-fi/fantasy books that I have been able to get into. The length would have also deterred me. I don't have a lot of time to read, so I tend to pick short books. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be purchasing this book. It was kind of interesting, but the content still wasn't really for me. It did seem to be professionally edited. This just isn't a book that I can really invest myself in.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 11:48 pm by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

Of all the fantasy/medieval-era jobs there are, bards are my favorite characters in video games and books. As such, I'm sure I would've at least looked at the Amazon description if I came across it. Marek (the main character) being blind is an interesting twist, especially since he doesn't seem to have Daredevil-style super-senses to make up for it. While the plot seems really interesting, I'm not hooked enough to buy this one.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 12:43 am by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because fantasy and the plot sounds extremely good and I think I would enjoy this. I will be reading the book because it seems like the book has many different fantasies and action, and I enjoy reading books like that. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 1:12 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I figured that this wasn't going to be a book that I would want to read. It looked like a fantasy, and after reading the OBC review my thoughts were confirmed. The first ten was full of action and suspense, but the names and the setting just weren't interesting enough for me. I enjoy action, but not the fantasy aspect. It is well written and free from errors, but I will not be picking this one up to read.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 6:21 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

This one caught my attention pretty quick, as I was immediately a fan of the cover and always have been a fan of this genre. The sample started off well, with an intriguing card game. I think this book would be something i could really enjoy, however, my current list is far too long for what is actually a reachable goal, so I'm going to pas.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 6:39 am by klbradley.

MarisaRose

After reading the official OBC review as well as those on Amazon, I was really excited to sample "Bard's Exile." Other than the reviews and the blurb (which makes the book seem right up my alley), I was drawn to this book by the cover art; it's absolutely beautiful! I sampled the first ten pages of "Bard's Exile" and I really enjoyed them! I think the author does a good job setting the scene; we learn a lot about Marek in a short amount of time. I like that he has a pet (Bright). There wasn't anything I dislike about the sample; I look forward to reading the rest of the book. I purchased the book as soon as I finished the sample. Lastly, the book seems well written and I did not notice any editorial errors in the portion I sampled.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 7:59 am by MarisaRose.

SandraTWP-BRW

Based on the cover and title, I would probably have not have selected this book. Although the genre and summary are somewhat interesting, I I'd not find the title or cover intriguing. In particular, the cover seems a bit bland. The editorial review was slightly more interesting. If I had a weekend to kill, I might have selected this book. The thing is, my time is usually very full, and this book wouldn’t have made the cut based on just the cover, title, blurb, and editorial review.

That said, I have gotten the book and the first ten pages had me hooked. In fact, the author does a great job of bringing the reader into the action of the story immediately. You’re rooting for the main character and his escape from his current scrape. You related to his bond to his dog. The author also does a great job of showing how the main character is blind before it’s ever addressed directly in the book, and from then helps us “see” how the main character is able to function so beautifully in the world of the sighted. This book is definitely now on my to-finish-reading list. I really want to know what happens to the characters I met in these few pages.

I noticed no editorial or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 8:14 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

Total ~ 43%

This book earned a score of 43%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 43% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Bard's Exile in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Bard's Exile in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

nicolehoward2011

Want To Read Shelf

Kaymai23

Want To Read Shelf

catherine barry

Want To Read Shelf

DRL_Books

Want To Read Shelf

Reigning

Want To Read Shelf