Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on November 29, 2016, at 8:03 pm by Sarah_Khan.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Cancelled: The Ultimate October Surprise

by Michael Pinsky

The First Ten

Because Cancelled was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as political novels aren't my preferable read. Reading the sample didn't change my mind, though the premise does sound interesting enough. The cover isn't that fetching and the blurb is far too short, but the official review had me intrigued. The sample started well enough, with the conflict between the Seal and the FBI, then lost stream when moving on to the candidates. I found the language a bit dry and didn't connect to it, nor did the tale kept my interest. I won't buy and read the book as it isn’t my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 10:34 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

The cover doesn't really seem to fit what the book is about and I never would have guessed it was a thriller. I also don't like books that follow a very specific political opinion, so that is one callout that worries me a little bit. It seems like a plausible storyline, which makes it both good and bad. Delving into the introduction, I have to say I was a little bit confused about what was going on and didn't really enjoy it enough to continue. All in all, it looks like a good read but not really for me.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 10:40 am by James Craft.

Scerakor

Had I not sampled the first ten pages of this book, I am on the fence on whether or not I would have chosen to read it. The blurb and the cover didn't appeal to me (personal reading preferences) but the official OBC review did sell it well. After reading the first ten pages, I was swayed towards the "No" side solely due to the fact that it is a heavily American-centric politically based novel and being a Canadian, I really don't have the same buy-in that many American readers might. It seems like a well written and edited novel and will definitely seem appealing for the politically minded American readers of this genre. As mentioned, the OBC review that I read did have me on the fence on whether or not to read, but ultimately it was the sample that told me it wasn't for me.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 11:16 am by Scerakor.

ashley_claire

I read the OBC review for this book a little while ago and was intrigued by the premise. Political thrillers don't normally hold my attention, but I was more hopeful about this book than others I've sampled in the same genre. The cover is interesting and makes me look twice at the book. The book is well written and the prologue set up an intriguing scene for the reader to question how events in the book could have led to such a predicament. Even in the best circumstances, I'm not a political thriller fan. But especially with the details of this book following so closely to real life events, I've had all the politics I can take. I won't be purchasing this book, but I think it just boils down to personal taste of the subject matter.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 11:20 am by ashley_claire.

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching and made me want to know more about the book. I can't say anything bad about the summary blurb, except that it's a bit short. I wish it contained a few more details about the plot. However, the summary is clear and appears to be professionally edited. I wasn't too interesting in reading the rest of the book after reading the sample pages. I found the prologue a little hard to follow with too much dialogue. After that, the story flows better, but the themes are not really my cup of tea. After the latest Presidential campaign, I want to take a break from political fiction for a long time.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 11:28 am by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. From the review and the sample, the plot seems unique and interesting. However, the sample was not easy to follow. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 12:12 pm by AA1495.

jamesabr

This book was a bit conflicting for me. From what I have heard from the Online Book Club review, there isn't a dull moment, which was true. On the other hand, my sampling of it seemed pretty dull (for my tastes at least). This book was very politically charged, as one would expect from the title and cover image. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled this book due to the intrigue it caused me on Facebook. No part stood out to me as particularly good, so I will not purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 1:28 pm by jamesabr.

Vermont Reviews

Today's book Cancelled by Michael Pinsky I thought from the preview lacked originality. About the only thing different from the election in 2017 was the character name changes. Maybe further along in the story there will be more items of originality. I am choosing not to download this book based on reading the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 2:12 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this book up because I'm a huge fan of the genre and political thrillers. However, after reading the first ten pages, I do get confused with all the added characters. There are far too many in my opinion and it's really frustrating trying to read them all and keep them all straight. I am not enticed to read the rest of this.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 4:51 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, this book did not interest me because it implies that this book is politically themed. I am not a fan of political thrillers. After reading the sample and OBC review, my original thoughts were confirmed. I am simply not interested in this genre or the plot. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 6:35 pm by Kdonegan91.

Amagine

Just by judging the book cover, I would have thought that this novel was going to be an amusing read. I laughed at the image of a cancelled voting booth when right above it, our American right to vote was written out. After reading the sample, I wasn't amused anymore. The novel resembles the past election too much. One of the characters resemble Trump too much and I feel it will alienate a wide range of readers. There were also some strong political opinions in the book that I'm not sure if it was the narrator's or the author's. Politics is an uncomfortable subject and I felt uncomfortable reading it. In terms of grammar, it was well written. I still wouldn't buy this book though.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 7:01 pm by Amagine.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I usually do not read political thrillers because I find them extremely hard to get into. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I was a little confused about the technical terms and what was going on, but my favorite part was the beginning of chapter 4. It really hit me and I enjoyed the sudden dose of reality. It was professionally edited. The official review made me want to read the book less because I often have difficulty putting aside my political views, and I fear that this book would be too different on the spectrum.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 7:45 pm by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

When I read the review for this book, I was pretty sure I would not be going beyond the sample. The review indicated that this book had a definite political flavor, and I don't read books for the purpose of making myself feel angry and frustrated (which is what politics does to me). As I read the sample, this feeling solidified. The opening pages showed a thinly-veiled interpretation of the 2016 presidential race. At one point, the name of one of the characters was written "Suzanne", which also raised concern from an editing point of view. Between the politics and the editing (but mostly the politics), I'm going to stay away.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 1:21 am by L_Therese.

dhomespot

While I sometimes like to read political thrillers, I cannot say that I will be purchasing this book. It looks to be professionally edited and the Official OnlineBookClub review did not play a role in my decision. After this election year, I just want a break from anything dealing with politics. The one thing I will say is that the beginning of the book was a little hard to keep track of with the names of the characters resembling each other. The blurb and sample were great.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 1:38 am by dhomespot.

chocomeiske

I don't like this cover; it doesn't make me want to read it so if not for this program, I wouldn't have taken a second look. Having read the sample, my interest was piqued. It's a political thriller which I like to read sometimes and the concept is interesting; an American president who doesn't want to leave office, but decides to instigate incidents to create a state of emergency so that he can remain in office. Terrifying but not too far-fetched in my opinion. It appears to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 3:22 am by chocomeiske.

ananya92

The book is based on an interesting premise, where the President of the the USA plots to establish himself as a dictator, and how a retired military man uncovers the plot and attempts to prevent that. It is immediately evident that much of the initial plot is based on real characters and events, but there is no subtlety in their adaptation, leading to an artless ripping off of real scenarios. I came across a few grammatical errors, including missing words in one paragraph, in the sample, and I think the book could have done with better editing. The review was to-the-point and encouraging; however, based on the review and the sample I've decided to not peruse this book, as its not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 4:25 am by ananya92.

Momlovesbooks

The review was well written and unbiased, which was important to me since this is politically based. This book seems to reflect our current political climate. It looks like an interesting one to read at this time. I enjoyed the sample and will have to read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 7:55 am by Momlovesbooks.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

At first glance, I honestly thought the cover portrayed a pack of cigarettes. At closer look, I realize this isn't the case. However, I find the cover fairly unappealing. The title is simple and understandable, which is good. I've read a couple of political thrillers that I've enjoyed. Also, I like how the blurb is short and to the point. Even though there are positive reviews, so far, I am leery of the comment made in the OBC review. I don't tend to like racist comments. Therefore, I would not have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I find it interesting that the former First Lady is very similar to someone in current news; this makes me curious on how the story will play out. In the Prologue, I think different names (other than Adams and Aarons) would have helped distinguish who is speaking. The two names are so similar that I had to read certain parts twice. However, my interest is piqued and I do plan on buying this book and reading it eventually.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 1:45 pm by hsimone.

CataclysmicKnight

This book manages to cover some very familiar characters in a really interesting way so far. It's realistic and covers something many of us joked about as a possibility. Luckily this wasn't a prophetic book! While it seems interesting enough so far I don't see finishing it simply because I can't escape from politics anywhere online and have grown rather sick of them lately. Those who love a good political book will probably love it though!

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 7:15 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

SandraTWP-BRW

The book has a well designed cover that caught my attention. It actually made me expect something non-fictional, which put its own interesting spin on the plot. Of course, at this point in our current history, the plot summary is very interesting.

In the excerpt I read, I was very intrigued by the author's characterization of the candidates. I found myself both despising and sympathizing, at the same time, with each. It was very thought-provoking to have insight into the personal thoughts of the candidates.

The excerpt I read could have been better edited. Occasionally, there is a word missing, or an incorrect word used.

I will be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 10:28 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

Bfrisco

I would not have looked into this book given the title or the cover. Frankly, the description didn't give me much to go on either. After reading the sample, I'm sure I won't continue to read this book. The setting is obviously intended to be very similar to the most recent presidential election, and I'm a little hesitant to read anything related to that, given how stressful politics has become in real life. I also found the writing style a little stilted, and the way the characters spoke came across as a little too formal. I think a few contractions might have made them sound a bit more realistic. I think this could turn into an interesting premise, though.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 11:19 pm by Bfrisco.

Gravy

I noticed no errors, and the cover certainly fits. I do have to say that, if the names of the characters are going to be fictionalized, then everything should be.
To be honest, I never would have looked at this, but every book stands a chance at changing my mind. I doubt this one could have, though the premise is interesting enough, the author's style is not to my taste.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 11:30 pm by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book without this program based on the genre. It is a genre I enjoy. However, I wasn't sure about the rest of the content before sampling it. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. The content isn't for me. The political end of this book just isn't for me. It does seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 1:44 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it seems like there is a lot of politics involved. Politics is not my cup of tea and it makes me confused. I will not be reading this book because throughout the whole first ten pages of the book, I was very confused. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 2:33 am by jungkookblog.

klbradley

I probably wouldn't have sampled this book on my own, only because political novels aren't something I usually gravitate to. The cover is actually a nice one though, seems to be an attention grabber. I like how it gives an insight to what the book will be about, with showing the voting booth and then the large Canceled stamp. Overall it does seem like an interesting read, but I'm just going to pass.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 6:03 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

I was surprised by how quickly I decided to read this bkkk based on the OBC review. I enjoy everyday political speak, and due to the author molding characters after individuals that appear in current political circles I was definitely excited to read this. The sample wasn't too thrilling and it started slow, but it began to pick up shortly thereafter. I didn't spot any errors and I will be finishing this. Ok soon.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 6:40 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

"Cancelled" is not a book I would have chosen to read prior to sampling it for this program. After reading the official OBC review and the book blurb, I just didn't think I could handle another political thriller. I usually find the genre is either too far fetched or hits too close to home. While reading the sample I enjoyed the author's writing style. The book seems professionally edited and the narrative flows well. However, the overall content of the book just didn't excite me. The main characters, from what I've gathered so far, seem like cookie cutter political figures. Nothing in the opening pages really jumped out at me as unique. I have decided not to continue reading this book, though I see how it could appeal to others, mostly fans of the genre.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 7:14 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 15%

This book earned a score of 15%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 15% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Cancelled in their shelves?

27 members have Cancelled in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Sarah_Khan

3-Star Shelf

Paula V

Want To Read Shelf

boosbeforepeople

3-Star Shelf

rbhavsar236

3-Star Shelf

lvw31328

Want To Read Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf