Cover for Immediacy

The First Ten Feedback for Immediacy: Our ways of coping in everyday life

Because Immediacy was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I don't read the genre. The cover isn't very fetching and the blurb is far too short. Luckily, the OBC review shed some light on the content of the book. The sample was written in a rather dry manner and the overview was rather tedious to read. It does sound like an important read but its subject matter is too tough for me to handle right now, nor do I read the genre. I won't read the book, but would recommend it to others.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 10:42 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

The cover for this book could use a lot of work because it is very plain and looks more like a school textbook by a lazy company than an actual nonfiction work we should be paying hard-earned cash for. It makes it seem very boring, which is never a good thing. I also found some mistakes in the first pages of the book that detracted quite a bit from the overall impact of what it was trying to say. Something like this needs to feel very professional, and this book didn't which is a real shame. I can see a lot of value in a book like this and I think that the author has the right idea behind what he is trying to do, but this seems like a rushed job and not really ready for the market. I won't be buying a copy today or reading this one any further.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 10:43 am by James Craft.

ananya92

This book is a collection of essays which explores the sociological and psychological reasons behind human actions, and specifically the negative actions committed by human beings. It takes a close look at Nazism and the factors which prompted the actions of the Nazis. The author's personal experiences also provide an insight in the book. Though I liked the premise of the book, I found the views and the writing style of the book slightly subject-heavy and emotionally weary. Also, I agree with the reviewer that there were a few grammatical errors which could have been avoided. Though I found the description and review pretty encouraging, currently I'm not into serious, non-fiction novels; therefore I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 11:22 am by ananya92.

Scerakor

From the description, blurb, and/or review alone I would not have picked this book up. Although the subject matter is interesting, It really isn’t what I would usually read. After reading the first ten pages, I didn’t change my mind. I can definitely confirm that the information in this book seems extremely powerful and that in general it would be an interesting read. That being said, however, it isn’t something that I am willing to put on my TBR list anytime soon. The book looks well written and well edited in general, I did find a couple of formatting issues that seemed to pop up in the Amazon sample. Any lists given tended to have the itemized number repeated twice (e.g. “1. (1) Each new paradigm requires…” The official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 11:32 am by Scerakor.

Miche Sora

I never would have picked up this book if there hadn't been a sample, as I generally avoid non-fiction due to lack of interest. The book is well-researched and well-written; there were no errors that I noticed. The topic is depressing, though, even though the first example of immediacy given has a light at the end of tunnel. It would be very difficult for me to finish this book given the topic.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 12:40 pm by Miche Sora.

va2016

this sounds like a psychology, human social behavior book. the narration is difficult to read because of too many technical terms. so i guess this is not my type of book. i am not going to read this book. thanks.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 1:23 pm by va2016.

Christina O Phillips

My BA is in English and Psychology, so as a student of psychology, this book appealed to me. I liked the format of essays and their topics. I liked the style and tone. I definitely want to read more.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 2:03 pm by Christina O Phillips.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I felt like the cover could use some help. The plot itself is interesting and the book seems well-written and professionally edited. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to read it now.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 2:52 pm by Sarah_Khan.

classicaltwist

Had I not sampled the first ten pages, I would've passed over this book. Based on just the cover, I would've skipped on it while I was browsing. I would not have bothered to open its page and read the blurb, check out reviews, etc. I generally pass over books that don't seem to put effort into their covers. The blurb shows that it's not something I would be interested in.

Reading the sample did not change my mind. I would not buy this book. Again, the subject matter is uninteresting to me. The writing was decent. One thing that I disliked is that the author uses four hyphens instead of an em dash. It looked unprofessional and because it's unconventional, my focus switched from what I was reading to wondering why the author would use the hyphens rather than an em dash.

The book does have an official OnlineBookClub review, but it didn't make a difference since I'm not interested in the topic.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 3:19 pm by classicaltwist.

Vermont Reviews

Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz show the reader our different ways of coping with everyday life in many different ways. Some of my favorite lines from the preview. "Much human pain and suffering is based on needless ignorance... Our ignorance is not merely the absence of knowledge--- of not having enough information... but of inadequate ways of looking at the information we have."

And

"We want, and sometimes desperately feel the need for, access to a transcendent God because we need to transcend our current situation."

I would normally have purchased the book based on the preview.

At this time I am overbooked with my reading schedule and will not be downloading today's book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 3:39 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

Based on the subject matter and blurb, I don't think this book is for me. It seems to deal with heavy themes and subjects that I am not really interested in reading about. I think this would be good for students in history, sociology, or psychology classes to read. I also don't really like the essay format as I enjoy stories more when they are told from 3rd person point of view.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 5:36 pm by CrescentMoon.

ZenaLei7

After reading the sample, I decided not to finish the book. I usually don't read books like this one. I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either. If I were to read this book just based on the cover, I probably wouldn't have read it because it's too plain and simple. It is not interesting enough for me to pick up and skim through it.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 6:57 pm by ZenaLei7.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book because I love reading about the human psyche. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really enjoyed how the author simplified the different topics they were going to talk about. Because I do not like self-help books, I was a little wary of how "preachy" this book could be, but I found that it was very objective and informative. It was professionally edited. The official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 9:25 pm by psychopathycathy.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the blurb and OBC review. I'm a psychology major, so I tend to enjoy books like this. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. It was very dry. Even though I enjoy learning this topic, I couldn't get into it. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 10:24 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Jaime Lync

The first ten pages of Immediacy is an overview of the book. This seems to be a sociology text book that is purposed to introduce a new way to perceive our surrounding and react to situations that require immediate response. Although this seems interesting the sample I read suggested that the author's writing style includes redundancies to stress a point. I am not motivated to continue reading this at the moment.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 10:36 pm by Jaime Lync.

Kitkat3

I think that the title is appropriate for the book, but the cover needs to be more interesting. The OnlineBookClub review lets me know that this book deals with some important subjects. However, it also says that there are some real editing errors. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying and reading the rest of the book. I think that the subject is too heavy for me at the present time.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 12:00 am by Kitkat3.

bookowlie

The cover is very bland, although the color combo is attractive. I didn't really care for the formal writing style in the summary; it made me feel like I was reading a term paper or textbook. That being said, it's technically well written and appears to be professionally edited. The sample pages are also well written, but again I didn't like the textbook feel and dense writing. This book might appeal to readers who are interested in the subject matter, but I am going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 12:35 am by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. The book seems well researched and well written. However, there are many technical terms and the sample is a little hard to follow. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I did not come across any major grammatical errors. Since I do not read this genre usually, I do not think I will purchase this book today.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 1:13 pm by AA1495.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, this book did not spark my curiosity. The cover lacks creativity. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided this book is not for me. I do not have a need for the information contained in this novel. Therefore, I do not have a desire to buy it or read it any further.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 1:38 pm by Kdonegan91.

L_Therese

Glancing at this book, the cover does little to attract a reader or offer any clues as to the book's contents. The premise seemed interesting, but as I read through the first ten pages, it seemed more philosophical than psychological or sociological (as I had thought). Those first pages seemed a bit dry to me, so I don't plan to keep reading.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 11:13 pm by L_Therese.

Amagine

The book has some excellent advice. I'm positive that readers interested in psychology would enjoy this book. I found myself slightly disinterested with it so I probably won't be buying the book.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 11:14 pm by Amagine.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because from the cover, it looks like it would just be a guide on how to live properly. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not catch my attention. There was so much information that made me not want to read the book. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 1:39 am by jungkookblog.

Gravy

While I would not have gone looking for this, I found it very interesting. I didn't notice any errors.
I wish it had gotten to the meat of the subject a little earlier.

I could see reading this at some point, but it just doesn't work for me right now.
I would recommend it to those interested in it's subject matter, and will keep it in mind.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 2:26 am by Gravy.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover and blurb, I wouldn't have read this book. I don't typically read psychology-based books unless they're by a researcher I know or they've been recommended to me. Also, the blurb makes it sounds like it might be somewhat religious, so that turns me off. The cover is fine, but it's a little boring.

I was surprised once I started reading the sample. The book is much different than I expected it to be, and it's clearly a book based on real scientific research. This would have made the book much more appealing to me, so I think it would help if the blurb were more clear. This is a book I would check out from the library or be happy to read for a class. However, I don't have the time to read something like this right now, so I won't be buying the book today. The first ten pages also didn't really grab me and make me excited to find out more about the author's theories. The book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any mistakes.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 3:01 am by CarrieMe.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book mainly because the subject matter interests me.

I will not be buying the book at this time, but will keep a look out for it in the future. The price is above my eBook spending limit.

This book is very well-edited. I did not find typos or grammatical errors.

I like the very scientific tone of this book. It is definitely a book that a person would need to put a lot of time into reading it. I liked the way the author explained how he was going to support the immediacy paradigm with the essays in the book.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 6:04 am by truebookaddict.

hsimone

The cover is fairly unappealing since it is very plain and bright, while the title is unclear. Though the blurb is concise, it is also unappealing to me. There only seems to be the one review, the OBC reviewer indicates that there are errors in this read and that it is a tough subject to get through. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The content of this book seems pretty dense and usually I am not one to read dense material unless it's for a specific purpose (i.e. school, work, etc.). However, I did find myself flipping through the pages in the sample fairly quickly. Then, remembering that the OBC reviewer mentions how the author pulls a lot of examples from the Holocaust, which is a subject I am very interested in, my mind has been changed. I do plan on purchasing and finishing this book.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 6:09 am by hsimone.

MarisaRose

I have read a lot of books about the subject of the Holocaust, and I do think most books have some new type of perspective to bring to light. That being said, I would at least have considered reading this book before sampling it for this program. I was attracted to the seemingly simple cover of the book; it feels appropriate given the content. Based on my sampling of the beginning of the book, I don't plan to buy or finish this one. The essays feel too short to me. There is a lot of introduction and though the writing is captivating, the essays take a lot of time getting to a point or seem to fail to make an impactful statement. I'm hoping the essays become more profound as the book progresses, but I wasn't interested enough to find out.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 6:52 am by MarisaRose.

Cjgarland89

Based on the OBC review alone I decided on reading this book. I love exploring psychology and sociology of why us humans do terrible things and what the catalysts are that make it so. This book is right up my alley in terms of subject content and the writer in the first ten does a good job in capturing the reader and preparing them for the rest of the book. There were a few errors, but I don't think it took away from the book. I will be finishing this in the next week or so!

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 7:22 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

From what I was able to gather so far with this book, it seems well written and researched. The topic of how people act and react when faced with situations is an interesting concept, and one that I look forward to learning more about. As told in a series of essays, Immediacy received a nice review from the OBC member, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 7:49 am by klbradley.

Momlovesbooks

I read the OBC review and the description of the book but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. I read the sample and it seems informative and motivational. I'm sure it will be a helpful book for people struggling with life's issues. However, it's just not for me at this time.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 8:29 am by Momlovesbooks.

micoleon13

Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz seems to be well written and professionally edited, with no errors apparent in the first 10 pages. The style it's written in is intelligent and scientific which is different to the books I would normally read.

I found the example of the woman dying in Auschwitz interesting as, even though she is in the middle of such unbelievable horror, she is able to find spiritual meaning in life.

I found the solid red cover page a little intimidating and would not have picked this book to read from this alone. After reading the sample it is still not a book I would normally read as I generally stay to fiction. It is also a bit more of a difficult intellectual topic where I would need to be in the right frame of mind to read it. I can see how other people would find it interesting and perhaps meaningful, as the Official OnlineBookClub review pointed out. However, the review also reinforced my thoughts as to it being a difficult read, so I would not personally buy this book.

As the topic is something I know very little about, I'm not sure on any improvement except that a less dramatic cover would make the book a bit more appealing to the reader.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 9:22 am by micoleon13.

Total ~ 16%

Immediacy earned a score of 16%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 16% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Immediacy