Cover for The Last Valentine

The First Ten Feedback for The Last Valentine: A Labyrinth of Love Letters Novel

Because The Last Valentine was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I may have sampled the book based on the beautiful cover and the blurb, as they had me intrigued. The OBC further enticed me to sample the book. Unfortunately, the sample itself didn't grab me, though it started off with a murder. I didn't notice any obvious errors, but some of the sentences were long-winded. Also, the pace was far too slow for my taste. I won't read the book, as it didn't engage me enough to want to continue reading.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 12:31 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Naval Aulakh

I really liked the title of the book and the cover. Then I read it's review on OnlineBookClub and juse lover it. I have read the sample of this book on Amazon and enjoyed it. I could not stop reading it.

This book is a combination of true love and mystery, something I love to read. The book is professionally edited and there are no spelling and grammatical errors. I would definitely like to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 12:36 pm by Naval Aulakh.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

I truly enjoy the writing of Felix Alexander. Through his characters you can feel the emotion of love and the preview of today's book The Last Valentine is another feather in his cap. I did purchase the book based on the preview. Felix Alexander is on the top of my top 20 authors. Well done.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 12:59 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover of this book and the plot is definitely something that interests me. The writing is good and seems to be well-edited. I will be adding this to my to-read list.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 1:03 pm by Sarah_Khan.

James Craft

I am going to pick up a copy of this book because it sounds great and was very heavily favored by the reviewer from OBC who recommended it. All in all, I think it sounds like a great read and the opening really managed to hook me, so I'm willing to give it a shot. The cover is phenomenal, though the lack of editing worries me a little bit.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 1:18 pm by James Craft.

Gravy

I was interested in the premise, and I was drawn to the cover. It's gorgeous.
I could "hear" the author's voice in small parts, and when I did, it was very pleasent. However, much of it failed to capture that. It almost feels, to me, as though it is an early draft. One that is very promising, but that needs a bit of polishing. Because of this, I would not say it had been professionally edited.
If it were a little more coherent, I would be more interested in finishing it. However, as it is, and with my already overpopulated to-read list, I don't plan to continue reading this.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 1:26 pm by Gravy.

va2016

A pretty interesting and intriguing story, set on the land of Puertico Rico, that involves an investigation of a possible murder and a lost evidence. I am certainly reading this in full when I get a chance. Thanks for introducing this book to me!

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 1:47 pm by va2016.

Snowflake

The cover picture and title are very good and I would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the sample of this book but as I was reading it, I was wondering if it had been translated into English from another language. There were some definite editing issues. I like the idea of the story and the mystery so far but I do not plan to read the rest of this book at this time. I have enough other books on the go at the moment. I may come back to it in the future.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 1:53 pm by Snowflake.

BunnySTx

I believe that even if I had not read a sample of this book that I would have eventually purchased it. In time I intend to go and purchase this book because it pulls at my heart. The beginning of this story is so touching and yet heart rending at the same time. From what I've read this book appears to have been professionally edited. What I like most about this story from what I've read is the man finding the woman he is looking for, even though he doesn't remember. This book does have an Official OnlineBookClub review. The review had no affect on my decision to get this book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 2:57 pm by BunnySTx.

ZenaLei7

Reading the sample was intriguing, but I don't think this is the book for me. The book cover is what really caught my attention. It only would have made me interested in reading this book. However, I will take a pass on this book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 3:12 pm by ZenaLei7.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the book. The official review talked about how there were lots of relatable and beautiful quotes. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I liked the writing style and the nostalgic atmosphere, and I liked Isaac and Olivia's interactions at the end of the sample. The book seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 4:49 pm by psychopathycathy.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of this book. I love the grey backdrop and the red title, it really makes it pop out and it's so fitting for a book about love. After reading the blurb and sample however, I don't really think I am the target audience for this book. I'm not really a fan of the fact that there are so many characters pov in this. I would rather read from the pov of a few characters and get to know them better.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 5:12 pm by CrescentMoon.

MarisaRose

Initially, I was intrigued by 'The Last Valentine.' I'm a fan of mystery/thrillers, and I thought the blend of romance within the plot of this book sounded interesting. Further, the positive OBC review also piqued my interest. I would have considered buying this book prior to sampling it. After reading the first ten pages, I am on the fence about whether or not I want to continue reading this one. Although there was nothing wrong with the writing grammatically, I found it rather mundane and basic in some places. However, I was intrigued by the characters and the setting. At this point, I don't plan to buy this book as I was't really captivated by the writing. However, I will keep this book in mind in the future.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 6:51 pm by MarisaRose.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of this book is striking. I read the OBC review and wasn't sure how I felt about this one. I liked the idea of a murder/romance with different POV's. However, the mention of needing more editing made me wary. However, I read the sample and was immediately hooked. The story is so intriguing and written with a poetic, old-world feeling. I can't wait to continue reading this one.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 7:17 pm by Momlovesbooks.

micoleon13

I loved the cover of this book, it's both beautiful and slightly haunting. The Onlinebookclub review was quite drawn out and didn't make me all that excited to read it. The review also mentioned that there were a lot of editorial mistakes. I dislike reading books with either grammatical or punctuation errors,and this alone would have put me off reading it. The book itself started out a bit intriguing, but I found that it didn't hold my attention. The sentence structure sometimes sounded a little messy. I would recommend another edit through to neaten up the structure. I will not continue with this book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 8:05 pm by micoleon13.

Scerakor

From the cover and blurb alone I probably wouldn't have considered this book. I'm not a fan of romance novels at all. After reading the review, however, I decided to reserve judgement until after reading the first ten pages as it seemed to have some unique concepts. Once sampled, it confirmed that this book was not for me and that I will not be reading the rest of the book. I lived the descriptions in the beginning of the book, but it wasn't enough to get me to break into the genre. Despite this, the book did seem very well written and edited.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 10:28 pm by Scerakor.

CataclysmicKnight

I was expecting romance out of this title, so the murder mystery plot really took me by surprise! The twist of the detectives having a rivalry themselves is interesting and I love the bit of humor I found in the first ten pages. I'm definitely interested in what will happen, but I'm not really hooked yet so I can't see finding time to finish it if I buy it.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 11:09 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kitkat3

I love the cover, and I like the title. The blurb makes me interested in the story. Romance isn't normally my favorite genre. I probably would not have sampled this book without this program. It does appear to be professionally edited. The OnlineBookClub review spoke very positively of the book but lets me know that it probably isn't for me. After reading the first ten pages, I still feel like this book wouldn't hold my attention.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 1:19 am by Kitkat3.

Miche Sora

I was surprised when I read that this story takes place in Puerto Rico. There's a nice cadence to the author's writing that suits the time in which the book takes place. As far as the sample goes, the plot reminds me of a telenovela.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 1:41 am by Miche Sora.

ananya92

From the prologue itself, it is evident that the writer has beautifully expressed the depth of love in this book, and this book is no light romantic read, but it really delves deep to uncover the meaning of true love. Romance is not the only element in this book; there is also a murder mystery, some adventures, and other elements which blend into an engrossing historical fiction set in the aftermath of the American-Spanish war. The book has been edited well. The description and the well-written review do a good job of explaining what to expect from the book. Though I found the book pretty engaging, it's too emotionally involving for me to read at present, hence I'll skip it for now.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 4:01 am by ananya92.

EMoffat

Had I not read the sample pages I would not have read this book. Although I like the cover, the blurb is good, and the reviews are great, it is just not my kind of genre. After reading the sample pages I will not continute reading the book. I did really enjoy the writing style, the book is just not for me because of personal preference. The book seemed professionally edited and I found no grammatical errors. My favourite part was the realistic writing style, and I have no suggestions for improvement. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review which was very good, but it did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 7:31 am by EMoffat.

bookowlie

The cover artwork is intriguing. However, I found the summary blurb hard to follow due to missing commas and a long-winded style. The beginning pages appear to be professionally edited, but I found it difficult to get into the story. Based on the summary and sample pages, I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 10:09 am by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I do not know if I would have read it. While I like the genre, the cover did not make me curious. Having read the sample, I found it easy to follow and understand. While I liked the writing style of the author, the sample did not make me curious enough to want to read the book further. I did not come across any major grammatical errors. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since the sample did not make me curious, I do not think I will read this book further.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 11:29 am by AA1495.

classicaltwist

I really like the cover. It's definitely something that would catch my eye if I was browsing. Although, I do think the font and color of the title seem a little out of place. The blurb was interesting but had some grammatical errors, which dampened my interest in the book. Some reviews also mention grammatical errors as well as a lot of cliches and poor execution. I would not read this book based on my initial impression of it.

The sample did not change my mind. I did not enjoy the writing style and like the blurb, I found several grammatical errors and typos. The official OnlineBookClub review also mentions grammatical errors and unedited content throughout. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 6:15 pm by classicaltwist.

Amagine

The prologue caught my interest as I loved the intrigue of mystery. The rest of the sample seemed pretty interesting as well. I love the cover art because it has a mysterious feel to it that complements the story well.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 10:27 pm by Amagine.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book, my first thought - from the title and cover - was that this was not a summer book but a winter book. It definitely gave the impression of historical fiction, and while I appreciate an informative cover, that genre is not one I'm looking to add to the list before. I've read poetry by this author before and enjoyed it greatly, so that was a major positive mark as I read the sample. The review spoke well of the plot, but it mentioned some faults in the editing as well. As I read the first ten pages, I caught a couple of minor editing mistakes. The real reason that I don't plan to finish the book, though, is that the use of language doesn't feel like it fits the plot to me. The language is very descriptive and almost poetic, and that seems at odds with the police procedural set-up.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2017, at 11:37 pm by L_Therese.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program based on the genre. Romance is my go-to genre. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I felt like too much time was spent on description instead of moving the story along. I also felt like the book lacked proper punctuation. Several sentences were long and missing commas.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 1:23 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

From the cover, I think I would enjoy reading this book because it seems like a woman has found a Valentine, but she has to rescue them. I will be reading this book because the book shows deep meaning and the writing is beautiful. It makes you feel like you're in the book with all the romance. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 3:22 am by jungkookblog.

CarrieMe

Based on the title, I didn't think that I would enjoy this book. However, the blurb and the reviews make it sound pretty interesting, so I would give it a chance. After reading the sample, I've decided that I won't be reading the rest of this book. The story does seem interesting, but this writing style doesn't appeal to me. The sentences often feel too long and over-wrought, and it also seems like there's some missing punctuation.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 3:49 am by CarrieMe.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover of the book I was a little interested at first. After reading the OBC review my interest definitely grew. The author take a romance and adds in so much more, and has a way with words like no other. After sampling the book I understand what the reviewer meant. The first ten caught my attention quite a bit, and while this isn't my go to genre I think I will finish this one and see how it goes. I didn't spot any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 6:20 am by Cjgarland89.

hsimone

The cover is beautiful and I love the title. The blurb did state the bloodstained love letter twice. I would be a little worried that repetition would be common in the book if it happened in the blurb. However, the reviews are fairly positive, and the OBC one has piqued my interest. The only other thing I would be worried about is the errors that the reviewer mentions here. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read. The author leaves me curious about the murder that took place in the beginning of this read. Though I find the writing a bit slow, I am intrigued; I'm wondering about this love letter and its content. Overall, I do plan on purchasing and reading this book.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 6:57 am by hsimone.

klbradley

At first glance, I'm a sucker for this cover. I love the Gothic look it has going on, and the simplicity that will cause you to want to know more. The prologue kind of threw me off, and I couldn't really tell much from it. However, I did like how it jumped straight into action withing the first two pages, describing the body of the man that was found. I am already so interested, and am about to order my copy now!

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 8:52 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

I was interested in this book because it looked and sounded like historical fiction although it was categorized as romance. I also absolutely love the cover. It really exudes a certain mood. I was not disappointed in what I read in the first ten pages. The author has a real knack for wriitng beautiful prose. Also, the prologue gives enough mystery to make the reader want to plunge into the book. I've decided to buy the book and read the whole thing eventually. I found the story to be enticing. Also, I did not notice any errors as far as editing which is always a plus. (This book was officially reviewed on OBC)

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 10:01 am by truebookaddict.

Christina O Phillips

I don't normally read romance nor things about veterans (the first due to a lack of interest, the second for fear of inaccurate portrayal). This prologue was beautifully written. The descriptions, the word choices, everything was well written and it made me want to read more of the prose.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2017, at 10:18 am by Christina O Phillips.

Total ~ 41%

The Last Valentine earned a score of 41%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 41% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Last Valentine