Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 30, 2016, at 7:13 am by Jennifer Allsbrook.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Arrival

by Alex Slade

The First Ten

Because Arrival was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book without the program as I love the genre. The cover isn't very fetching, but the blurb is fine. The sample started well enough, with the disappearances of two people, but the changing POVs was somewhat confusing. I didn't notice any major typos other than the use of a period instead of a comma (on the second line). I will not read the balance of the book as it didn't hook me enough to want to finish it.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 10:03 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

The cover artwork is eye-catching. However, it has a supernatural feel and I don't like to read books in the supernatural genre. The summary blurb is well written and the plot sounds intriguing. The beginning pages have a nice flow and the dialogue feels natural, especially between the two detectives. I usually like detective novels, but this one seems too eerie for me, with people disappearing in a spooky way. A little too creepy for my taste.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 10:28 am by bookowlie.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the title and the cover art of this novel, they are both intriguing. The blurb does a good job of getting your attention without giving too much away.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is well-written and professionally edited, it also does a good job of keeping your interest. I could see myself eventually picking up this book but just not today because I already have a long to-read list.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 11:26 am by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it because I do not read Sci-Fi usually. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. The book seems to have a good plot. The sample was interesting and mysterious. However, there were times when I got confused with names because the characters' weren't introduced in detail. The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not come across an Onlinebookclub review for the book, but I don't think the absence of one affected my decision. While I'm sure fans of the Sci-Fi genre would love the book, it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 12:56 pm by AA1495.

Rachel1019

The title of this book is quite intriguing, but vague, which makes it mysterious and appealing. The cover art of the book is even more mysterious. It hints at ghosts? Or perhaps aliens? But we know that something unnatural will happen for sure. I wish there was a review of this book on OBC, because then I would have a better idea of the overall plot of the book. Even though there isn't a review, I will still be downloading this sample. The first couple of chapters of the book introduce a few characters who are experiencing people going missing. Thus, it lends itself to be a suspenseful mystery with a possible hint of the supernatural. I am excited to read this at some point in the future.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 1:21 pm by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Shelle

The cover and blurb make this book look and sound scary, so not usually one I would gravitate to. However, I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. The action starts right on page one and is pretty intense. I liked the main characters, the detectives, but think the subject matter, missing persons, isn't really one I would enjoy. This book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 2:44 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

I love the cover of this book. It gives off a very mysterious and creepy vibe that is perfect for this kind of book. I would pick it up after reading the blurb because it sounds so intriguing. I love mystery and crime and this book also has a science fiction element which I love. After reading the first ten pages, I am hooked. I definitely want to see what happens next and what the greater mystery is. It is an interesting premise that people have disappeared but there is no actual exits from which they could disappear so it really makes the reader wonder. The author has definitely got me curious.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 2:55 pm by CrescentMoon.

chocomeiske

Sci-Fi is not my favourite genre so I doubt I would have taken a look at it if not the First Ten programme.
That being said, I did enjoy the sample though not enough to want to read the full book. I especially like the slight supernatural slant of the book and I can't recall any obvious editing issues.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 4:11 pm by chocomeiske.

Vermont Reviews

Arrival by Alex Slade today's book of the day was one that I enjoyed reading the preview. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked and I will not be downloading this book. Based on the reviews and the preview that I did read I would have purchased this book. I do like the cover art. Congratulations Alex Slade on being the choice for the book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 4:15 pm by Vermont Reviews.

hsimone

The cover is eye-catching, as well as the title. Reading the blurb is also something that piques my interest. However, I am leery of the Sci-Fi genre; I have read a fair number of books in this genre and have not enjoyed several. On top of this, the customer reviews seem to be pretty spread out and the book does not have an OBC review, which still does not convince me that this book is for me. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like how the first chapter is gripping and grabs the reader's attention as Jake and Chris question Lana about her missing husband. When the perspective changed, I was thrown off for a second, however, it wasn't anything major. Due to its interesting beginning, I might have considered reading this book, however, it isn't free and I don't have Kindle Unlimited. Therefore, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 4:21 pm by hsimone.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read this book. This seems to by my type of genre, and the blurb was very interesting. The cover also seems to suit the story well. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was very clear cut, and I loved how the different anecdotes flowed. I do wonder whether the first paragraph of each chapter should be indented, and there also seems to be a formatting error in Chapter 1 ("Roughly.") Other than that, it was great, and me not reading an official review did not change my opinion.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 5:20 pm by psychopathycathy.

Kdonegan91

The title caught my attention right away. On the other hand, the cover decreased my interest because it implicated that the book would be written in the sci-fi genre. I am not a fan of that particular genre and have not read a sci-fi book in a long time. However, after reading the sample, I am hooked. I can't wait to see what happens next! The sample was professionally edited and flowed nicely. The author offered the perfect amount of character development and emotion. Therefore, I will surprisingly be buying this book.

First Ten review added on December 13, 2016, at 11:47 pm by Kdonegan91.

CataclysmicKnight

I love sci-fi, but hate when it's confusing, so I was leery but excited about this one. The first bit so far already introduced two main characters and they each experience a missing person's case in a different way. I'm intrigued as to how they'll intertwine! The book is also written well, in a much more entertaining manner than most futuristic sci-fi. I'll definitely finish this sometime!

First Ten review added on December 14, 2016, at 12:11 am by CataclysmicKnight.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book's cover, I was thinking ghosts. Then I learned that it was at least part sci-fi and started thinking aliens. The plot description promised a unique blend of sci-fi and mystery. I read the first ten pages, I got the mystery part, but I was missing the sci-fi, and more importantly, I was missing the unique part. I wanted to know what was so special about this book that I wouldn't be able to put it down. After ten pages, I was still able to put the book down, so I did. I won't be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2016, at 8:45 am by L_Therese.

MarisaRose

Arrival is a book I would have at least sampled prior to reading it for this program. I enjoy thriller/paranormal books and I like that there is a touch of mystery in Arrival as well. I do wish there had been an official OBC review of this book. I enjoy reading other reviewers points of view as I feel the OBC reviews are more informative than typical amazon reviews or book blurbs. After sampling this book, I can tell it is well written and appears to be professionally edited. The author hooks the reader from the beginning with the first scene where two detectives arrive at a house where a woman says her husband has vanished. I enjoyed that the detectives were skeptical about the situation, it made the scene feel more realistic. My only issue with this book is that I feel like I have read this plot before. I am hoping if I continue to read this book, the reason behind the vanishings will be different. At this point, I do not think I am going to finish reading Arrival mostly because I worry it wont be different from previous books I have read like this. But, I will keep it in mind for the future.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2016, at 3:35 pm by MarisaRose.

Gravy

There were some issues. A few sentences were bad enough that I had to reread them a few times. Mixed up words and such. I would definitely recommend an edit to fix that.
The premise is interesting, and I would probably have looked at this book. I like the cover. However, I'm not a fan of the style, it's a little too simplistic for my taste. The writing is a little too light, like I'm skimming a story, rather than reading it.
Due to these issues I won't be reading this.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2016, at 7:55 pm by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, cover and title. It seems pretty interesting and along the lines of something I would read. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I was fairly interested in the book, but not quite enough to buy it. If there were an OBC review, I might be able to be persuaded otherwise. However, I don't want to buy a book when I'm not sure if I'll like it. It did seem to be professionally edited, it just didn't pull me in.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2016, at 12:58 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I think I would've read this book based on the cover and title because books like these are so great! I love the idea of it. I am going to read the book because it was just what I thought it would be. It didn't change me from my original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved the details in the book and it was very descriptive. There could be more information. I did not see a review, and it hasn't affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2016, at 1:26 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

At first glance this is a book I would sample. I enjoy a good detective story, most of my favorite books involve detectives solving cases. These detectives were intriguing and with so much going on in the first few pages I was hooked. I will be buying the book and finishing it because I was glued to the sample and didn't want to stop reading. The book is error free and well written. There wasn't an OBC review but it wouldn't have had an influence because I liked the sample so much.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2016, at 6:59 am by Cjgarland89.

Momlovesbooks

Based on the description of the book, I wasn't sure what it would be about. I read a few pages and was instantly drawn into the mystery. The storyline is engaging and only gives hints as to what is really happening. The book seems to be professionally edited and well-written. I really want to find out what is happening to the missing people!

First Ten review added on December 15, 2016, at 8:39 am by Momlovesbooks.

Total ~ 40%

This book earned a score of 40%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 40% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Arrival in their shelves?

26 members have Arrival in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

mindyg123

4-Star Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

TatteredRemains

Want To Read Shelf

greekbard_vty

Want To Read Shelf

Celticlady

Want To Read Shelf