Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 25, 2016, at 3:57 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780692673959

A Confession

by William F. Aicher

The First Ten

Because A Confession was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover and blurb aren't that appealing, but the official review had me intrigued. The sample was well written and easy to read. I am impressed with the honesty of the author, especially when talking about his reasons to hang out with "unsavory" characters. The views of the author sure sound original, at least according to the official review. However, I won't read the book as its subject matter isn't one that interests me. I am sure it is a good book for fans of the genre, but philosophical books aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 10:19 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I love the photo album feel of the cover and the font used. The Amazon blurb is well written and gave me a good idea of what the book is about. However, the summary made me think the book was a non-fiction memoir. I only realized it was fiction from the words "a novel" shown on the cover. I enjoyed the author's conversational writing style in the sample pages. There is a formatting error on the first page, with one paragraph indented much further in. Although the sample is well written, I don't like the subject matter (as described in the summary) enough to want to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 10:24 am by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. However, I like philosophy as a subject so I had high expectations from this one. I liked the way the book started. The author expressed his thoughts well. However, it is easy to get distracted while reading the book. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I like the subject, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 11:50 am by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Scerakor

The cover, blurb, and description of the book really didn't speak to me and I likely wouldn't have considered it further if it weren't for the official OBC review and the first ten program. The subject matter seemed dry and really didn't seem like it would be something that I would enjoy. The OBC review really sold the book, however, and definitely placed a bit more intrigue into the work. Having read the first ten pages I am partial to believe that the OBC reviewer was right and that this book has a lot going for it. I loved the no-nonsense, straightforward way that this book is written and how our main character is talking directly to the reader. After reading the first ten pages I think that I will continue reading this book and finish it. It seems very well written and edited and I didn't pick up on any errors if there were any.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 12:20 pm by Scerakor.

Vermont Reviews

A Confession by William F. Aicher probes the life of the storyteller character in ways to make the reader question whether the character is good or bad based on their actions. The people that they associated with did that make them good or bad? I liked the preview enough to want to finish the story. I have added the book to my 2017 reading list. I found the preview thought provoking. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story. I would have purchased the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 1:33 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this book up out of curiosity because it sounds really interesting. I do think themes on free will and choice are very interesting to read about. After reading the first ten pages, I don't I'll be able to finish this any time soon. Mostly because this book involves a lot of deep critical thinking and I want to be able to read it when I have more spare time. So for that reason, I can't finish it now, but I do think readers interested in the subject matter would enjoy it.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 2:56 pm by CrescentMoon.

Bfrisco

I might have looked into this book, based on the title, but the cover makes me think it's historical fiction. Based on the description and the sample, I can see that it isn't, however. The onlinebookclub review caught my interest, and I was looking forward to reading something a little morally ambiguous that would encourage me to think about things. When I started reading the book, however, I didn't see the main character as relatable or even likable. The way the main character spoke about the friends that made the main character feel superior immediately contradicted everything that was initially stated about the character being a good person. I can't understand why someone would, in the same chapter, say "I'm a good person" while also saying "There's nothing as uplifting as watching another person suffer." I would not continue reading this book. I did feel it was professionally edited, and I felt that the writing style was enjoyable. I found the character and the direction of the story to be off-putting.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 3:35 pm by Bfrisco.

chocomeiske

I don't like this cover so if not for this program, I wouldn't have taken a second look since I am usually attracted first by a cover unless I already know about a book. It does however sound very interesting and like a book that would lead to self-reflection. The sample was written in such a way as to be very engaging and immersive and I do plan on reading the rest of the book at some time.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 5:38 pm by chocomeiske.

Gravy

The story is very interesting, and I liked the author's style. I didn't notice any errors, and the cover is nice (though it makes it feel like a memoir, which also kind of fits).
I can't find a bad thing to say about this, but it just isn't something I'm interested in reading right now.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 6:28 pm by Gravy.

Sarah_Khan

The title of this novel immediately draws me in. The blurb and the Online Book club review were well-written and did a good job of making me interested in starting to read this book.
After reading the first few pages, I was hooked.The premise is interesting and it is easy-to-read. I look forward to reading the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 6:45 pm by Sarah_Khan.

jamesabr

Some parts of this book were pretty exciting, but the main character's input on his situation does not appeal to me. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have overlooked this book due to the Online Book Club review of it. To me, the best part of the sample occurred when the main character stopped expositing and one of his "friends" entered his abode. The unnamed main character seems arrogant and unrelatable, so I will not be purchasing this book or reading it. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 8:13 pm by jamesabr.

Amagine

This book was an interesting read because the narrator is an interesting individual. He is a man who doesn't claim to be good and he starts to question the choices he made in life. This book is definitely for the philosophical crowd. The cover art is intriguing as well.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2017, at 8:28 pm by Amagine.

Shreyoshi Sen

I don't read philosophy so I am not buying this book. Though I liked the fact that the readers are asked to judge the plot. Though I don't buy books merely by cover had I not read the review.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 12:00 am by Shreyoshi Sen.

ananya92

This is an interesting book where the reader sits in judgment of the narrator's tales. This book offers a slow unravelling of events in the author's life, leaving the reader to ruminate over the confessions. This is quite a thought provoking and philosophical novel. The book seems to be edited professionally. However, despite the intriguing description and encouraging review, the sample was rather slow and I lost interest in the book pretty soon. Therefore, I won't be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 4:06 am by ananya92.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the book. It seems interesting as I am interesting in psychology. The review also contributed to it, and after reading the sample I agreed that the writing was very interactive. This is why I have not changed my mind. It was professionally edited. I really enjoyed how the narrator seemed to speak directly to the reader.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 4:53 am by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

From the first look at the cover, this book called to mind a journal. That's not typically my style, and once I read the description and review, I wasn't too sure if this was really a good fit for me. If the book were non-fiction, I probably would have been more inclined to read it in full because it would be real, but since the book is promoted as a work of fiction, I'm less intrigued. As I read the first ten pages, like I anticipated, the informal, quasi-conversation writing style didn't work for me. I'm sure there are plenty of good thought-nuggets in there, but it just isn't a good fit.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 5:43 am by L_Therese.

SandraTWP-BRW

The composition of the book cover caught my attention. It very much gives the idea of a memoir, and that matches up with the delivery of the story. I had a neutral response to the plot summary, neither very interested nor disinterested,

In the first ten pages, the story is well-written. The main character, speaking in first person, does a good job of coming off as conversational while avoiding being confusing. There's the "flavor" of stream of consciousness thinking, without the chaos. I admire the job the author did in this respect.

I noticed no errors in the excerpt that I read.

I will not be reading the rest of the book. This style of novel is not one that I'm drawn to, I simple prefer other genres.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 6:37 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

James Craft

This definitely seems like a very intriguing book, though not necessarily something I would enjoy reading on first glance. The opening didn't manage to hook me and I didn't particularly like the writing style of the sample, though, so I won't be continuing. It seems like something a lot of people would enjoy, just not really something I wanted to continue with.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 9:03 am by James Craft.

Pilar Guerrero

The cover of this book looks interesting, vintage looks are on trend. The style of narration is engaging, the way in which the protagonist talks to the reader made me feel as if I was there, in the room where action takes place. I consider the author a good storyteller. However, this topic is not my cup of tea, so I am not interested in reading it further.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 11:16 am by Pilar Guerrero.

Momlovesbooks

I wouldn't have chosen this book based on the title or cover. However, the review piqued my interest. I read the sample and was intrigued by the set up of this novel. It seems to be thought-provoking and out of the ordinary. I downloaded the book and will add it to my reading list.

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 8:20 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and the OBC review I was interested in reading this book because I haven't seen something like this before. The author wants to be judged right off the back and I think it's an interesting concept. After sampling I wasn't really interested in the content of the book. I didn't see any errors in the sample, but I'm not interested in buying and finishing this one!

First Ten review added on April 4, 2017, at 9:27 pm by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I probably wouldn't have sampled this book without this program. The OBC and blurb had me thinking that the content wasn't really for me. After reading the first ten pages I won't be finishing this book. I did like how personal the voice of the book was. It feels like the narrator is really talking to the reader. Unfortunately, it just didn't capture my interest. It did seem to be professionally edited. It just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 12:09 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it doesn't seem like there is any plot. There is a lot of deep thoughts in here, that can change your experience with life. I will not be reading this book because it seems like I've already known most of these things, and it doesn't seem like there is a lesson to learn from the book. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that will affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 1:22 am by jungkookblog.

hsimone

I like the old photograph on the cover, and the title is eye-catching. The reviews seem to be fairly positive, including the OBC one. It does seem more like a philosophical book, which is typically not to my taste. After reading the blurb, I am convinced that I would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like how the author's writing style is inviting and extremely open. It takes a lot for a person to admit that watching other people suffer lifts him up. Though the tone of voice is inviting, I don't find myself interested in the topic at hand - questioning one's own actions. Therefore, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 3:11 am by hsimone.

klbradley

This probably isn't one I would have sampled on my own, mainly because the title and the cover didn't catch my attention. The cover doesn't have an appealing effect on me, which is one of the things I look for when choosing a book. I did find the OBC review for this one, and there were some nice things said about the story. Overall, I think I'm going to pass on this one. It's just not my cup if tea.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 7:12 am by klbradley.

MarisaRose

When I first read the OBC review of 'A Confession' by William F. Aicher, I was intrigued. I thought it was interesting that the reviewer likened the work to that of a modern day 'Catcher in the Rye.' The book appears to contain a lot of relevant content so I was excited to give this book a try. After sampling the first ten pages for this program my favorite part so far is the conversational tone in which the book is written. After reading only a few pages, I felt like I had a clear idea of the type of person the narrator is. However, I wasn't as excited about the actual content of the book. I don't know that I will be able to connect with the narrator. Certain events he is describing don't really relate to my personal life and I'm not sure I want to read about them. I will not be finishing this book at this time.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 7:17 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I probably would have chosen to read/sample this based on the blurb and the reviews. Reading about this book was compelling, to say the least.

The book was free as book of the day so I did download it. I do plan on reading the whole book eventually. I actually found myself identifying with what was happening if I'm to be completely honest.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

The brutal honesty of this book is astounding. I found that refreshing. How many times have we looked back on our lives and questioned our actions? I'm looking forward to finding out the outcome for the protagonist.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on April 5, 2017, at 8:45 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 33%

This book earned a score of 33%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 33% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has A Confession in their shelves?

More than 28 members have A Confession in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

mohammedaslam

Want To Read Shelf

sandeesandlz98

Want To Read Shelf

CataclysmicKnight

4-Star Shelf

Majikalone

Currently Reading Shelf

uk8971

Currently Reading Shelf