Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 25, 2016, at 12:30 pm by ALynnPowers.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781534922594

The Maid of Salerno

by Vi Zetterwall

The First Ten

Because The Maid of Salerno was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

jamesabr

The events that occurred in the first ten pages drew me in immediately! The exposition flowed easily, with Nana Rose’s status and Cassie’s understanding being clear to me as I read of Charlie and Nancy’s panic situation. If I were not a part of this program, I would have sampled this dystopian novel due to the positive review that it received on Online Book Club. Nana Rose seems like the level-headed type of guardian that will aid in Cassie’s development as a teenager, and Cassie appears to be inquisitive and eager to learn. These two characters may hold more importance to the story later on, and I look forward to reading about them after I purchase this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 10:16 am by jamesabr.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I would have sampled the book on my own as I love dystopian novels. The cover isn't very fetching. The blurb had me hooked though, and the official review has further whetted my appetite. The sample started really well, with the dream and the treatment of the ill woman. It was well-written, but I found the pace a bit slow. I won't buy the book right now as my reading list is full. Otherwise, I would have gladly read the book based on the sample.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 10:48 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

I'm not sure what to make of the cover or the title. These do not show typical Dytopian-style reads, which could be something positive or not. The blurb does not really stick out as something that would have a strong plot. The reviews are fairly positive, including the OBC one. And usually, I weigh the OBC review highly. However, there is something about this read that doesn't seem original. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like how easily distinguishable the characters are from one another since there are only a few to start with. However, I feel it's lacking some excitement, at least, for me. Therefore, I do not plan on purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 1:56 pm by hsimone.

Sarah_Khan

After reading the blurb and the Online Book club review, I'm not sure the cover of this novel accurately depicts the plot of this book. The writing itself seems professionally edited and well-written. The premise is interesting but I do not think it is unique enough considering this genre is very competitive. For this reason, I do not intend to read the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 2:06 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Scerakor

The blurb and cover weren't enough to convince me to read the book, but the official OBC review definitely see as all praises and made it sound excellent. The first ten pages though were excellent and left me wanting more. I loved the mix of mystery/witchcraft (perceived) based on traditional/natural healing methods. The book seems extremely well written and appealing all ages. I probably wont buy this book today but if I'm looking for a fresh dystopian read, I'll definitely come back to this one. The OBC review didn't affect this decision, but it did convince me to read the sample.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 2:55 pm by Scerakor.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would read the rest of the book. Mostly because I went through a phase of reading only dystopian books when I was younger and I am now kind of sick of the genre. After reading the first ten pages, I do think the storyline is interesting and well written. I would recommend this for fans of the genre, but it's not for me.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 2:56 pm by CrescentMoon.

ashley_claire

At first glance, the cover of this book doesn't really appeal to me. It looks like it belongs to a biography or a memoir. After reading the Amazon summary and the OBC review, I thought this book might be my taste after all. I like how the book is set in the future with actual event of The Darkening only taking place a few years into the future. The first ten pages were written well and appeared professionally edited. The author's style of writing is very easy to read and the plot was intriguing. I've honestly been looking for a new young adult dystopian series to read and I will definitely continue with this one in hopes that I like it enough to continue with the series.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:11 pm by ashley_claire.

James Craft

This one looks really interesting. The cover is provocative and it seems to have a good review from OBC and on Amazon. All in all, it seems very promising, but not really my type of book. That being said, after checking out the opening pages I have to say it reads very well and flows in a very practical style I enjoyed. I don't think I'll have time to read this, but it seems to be a very well put together and well-written book so I am certain many people will enjoy it.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:12 pm by James Craft.

CataclysmicKnight

I love a good dystopian novel, and this one definitely seems realistic so far. It also teases perhaps some mystical bits in these first ten pages as well. While the writing is okay and there's an intriguing plot ahead, I don't see finishing this one. It just hadn't captured my attention yet.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:17 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

MarisaRose

"The Maid of Salerno" did not immediately interest me; after reading the blurb I don't think the cover fits the story. When I first saw the cover art I thought for sure this would be a romance (also based on the name). I was shocked to learn this is a YA dystopian novel. After reading the official OBC review, I was a little more optimistic about the book since the reviewer found little fault in the book and had very positive comments. Based on the first ten pages I was impressed with the writing style. I thought the author's use of imagery and pacing was well done. Though I didn't find anything I really disliked in the sample, I wasn't really hooked either. I am a little curious about what's going on with the characters; especially the significance of the dream Cassie had. I can see how this book would appeal to a lot of YA readers, but at this time, I don't plan to finish reading the book. I'm worried "The Maid of Salerno" will end up being a lot like many other dystopian novels I've read.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:48 pm by MarisaRose.

Vermont Reviews

I was impressed with the preview of The Maid of Salerno. That is the reason that I bought the book. I wanted to see how Nana Rose and Cassie who are great characters end up. The author Vl Zetterwall has a true storyteller talent and is able to build an excellent story with the characters. Well written and a great plot. Looking forward to finishing this one.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 4:12 pm by Vermont Reviews.

mratdegraff91

The cover of this novel to me was not appealing. It did not inspire my curiosity at all. The summary did provide me with some inspiration to check out the sample and OnlineBookClub review. After reading the sample, I downloaded it immediately. The storyline seems fascinating, and the review gave me some, insight to what sounds like a very exciting plot. Dystopian novels are usually very interesting. I am curious to see the trials and tribulations Cassie goes through as she begins her path toward redeeming the country. I did not observe any errors in the sample, but the review mentioned a few formatting issues.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 4:50 pm by mratdegraff91.

dhomespot

I am not sure if I would have bought this book without read the blurb or the review. That being said, once I read the sample, I immediately clicked to get the book through Kindle Unlimited. It looks to be professionally edited and the beginning of the story caught my attention from the very first sentence. The book had an Official review and that was also part of the reason for my decision to purchase the book.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 6:13 pm by dhomespot.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The blurb sounds interesting but by the cover I would not have thought this was a book I'd have liked to read. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. I love dystopian novels, and the writing was extremely engaging. I especially liked the little quotes at the beginning of every chapter. It was professionally edited. The official review actually made me want to read the book a lot, especially as it mentioned the intertwining of two plotlines.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 8:55 pm by psychopathycathy.

Shreyoshi Sen

I don't buy books out of cover but the reviews did tell me that this book was based on a struggling life story. The book is too emotional for me to buy. Ya the review was helpful and the book is well edit.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 11:11 pm by Shreyoshi Sen.

bookowlie

The cover didn't give a sense of the type of story this is. The title didn't grab me either; it made me think the book would be about a maid working in a town called Salerno (or something like that). I did like the Amazon blurb which was well-written and made the plot sound interesting. The beginning pages were a little slow-paced and I thought there was a little too much dialogue instead of description. The sample was somewhat interesting. However, I don't usually care for dystopian fiction. so I have to really love the intro to want to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 11:55 pm by bookowlie.

Bfrisco

I don't think I would have looked into this book based on the title or the cover, however the description of the book was interesting. The onlinebookclub review certainly caught my attention, despite the fact that I tend to avoid dystopian novels. After reading the sample of this book, I'm honestly torn, because I enjoyed reading it, but it isn't a genre I typically enjoy. I found the writing style very enjoyable and easy to read, and I felt the book was professionally edited. I think I may someday buy and read this book, but I don't plan to buy it today.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 2:41 am by Bfrisco.

ananya92

The story starts off in a city without power and other basic amenities we take for granted. The thought of living without these utilities for an indeterminable period of time is a thought provoking concept. Among all these difficulties, one girl tries her best to help others and possesses the qualities that can make her the leader, who will lead the US out of its terrible state in this post-technological disaster world. There are two parallel narratives running in this novel, which is slightly annoying as I wanted to focus to on Cassiopeia's story. The story is quite engaging, and the author has cleverly weaved in sensitive issues like poverty and imperceptible paranormal elements, into the plot line of this dystopian fiction. Although the story itself is fairly interesting and the review quite encouraging, I think I'll pass this book because on the whole I'm not a fan of dystopian fiction.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 8:45 am by ananya92.

L_Therese

This book's cover and title didn't particularly grab my attention or make me feel like I could anticipate what the book would be about. The OBC review was instrumental in helping me get a picture of the book's plot and why I might want to read it. When I read the first chapter, I found it to be somewhat interesting and well- edited, but I'm not looking to add a YA-oriented dystopian fiction book to my list right now.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 3:20 pm by L_Therese.

Momlovesbooks

This book has really good reviews. It seems interesting, but I'm not sure if it's my type of book. I read the sample, and while it appears to be well written and a unique topic, I don't think I'll be reading it at this time.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 5:20 pm by Momlovesbooks.

SandraTWP-BRW

I enjoy dystopian fiction, so the blurb caught my attention immediately. The cover is well balanced, easy to read, and has good use of color...it's also not what I expect from a dystopian novel.

The excerpt I read captured my attention immediately, and piqued my curiosity. I admired the support within families and the community, and wondered what led to this fall from technology.

The excerpt was well edited; I noted no errors.

I absolutely will be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 7:37 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

Gravy

I enjoy dystopian fiction , so was interested upon learning about this book. Had I come across it, I would not have looked at it because the cover gives me no clue to its genre.
I had a few issues with the sample. Cassie notes that she doesnt know her neighbor's last name, yet she then proceeds to think it. I dislike continuity problems, so this bugged me.
Given the issues, and that I'm not that interested in the premise I'm not going to be reading this.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 9:06 pm by Gravy.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the characters' were introduced and how their thoughts were expressed. However, I thought that the writing was formal. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I do not usually read the genre and hence, I do not think I will purchase the book today.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 9:39 pm by AA1495.

klbradley

I always try to never judge a book by its cover, because some of my all time favorite books had a less than appealing cover. This one seems to give a false appearance regarding what the book will be about. At first glance, I wouldn't think it would be something I would choose on my own. However, after I read a bit into the story, I quickly discovered that this is exactly the type of book I tend to enjoy. I love that this Dystopia novel is based in the near future, which can make the scenario seem realistic and worry some. I am looking forward to this one and plan to finish the story!

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 11:11 pm by klbradley.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I am not a big fan of government related books. It doesn't seem interesting to me, so I will not be reading this book. The first ten pages didn't really give me a good idea on what the book is about. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 3:15 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because of the genre, and the story sounded really good.

I bought the book and I plan to read the whole book eventually, especially after reading the first ten pages. I can tell that this book is going to be really good.

The books seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

One of the most beautiful openings I've ever read in a book. The story is set up nicely for what's to come. I have to say, I enjoyed reading the firt ten pages very much.

This was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 4:52 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

I would not have read this normally as I don't like dystopian books. I do like the YA aspect because you typically don't see that. The OBC review did make the story sound tempting. After sampling however I won't be finishing this book because it's a little too slow in the beginning and I just wasn't interested. I didn't see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on March 27, 2017, at 6:47 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 33%

This book earned a score of 33%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 33% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Maid of Salerno in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Maid of Salerno in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ALynnPowers

4-Star Shelf

Richard Arup Banarje

Want To Read Shelf

CarrieMe

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf