Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 20, 2016, at 12:53 am by e-tasana-williams.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Slope of Kongwa Hill: A Boy's Tale of Africa

by Anthony R. Edwards

The First Ten

Because The Slope of Kongwa Hill was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as autobiographies aren't my preferable read. The cover is nice and the blurb informative, though too detailed. The book started with too detailed info about Tanzania, which was interesting at first but then became tedious to read. Things improved afterward, the bees' incident was exciting. While the prologue was told in the third POV, chapter one was told in the first Pov. I preferred the writing of the first POV, as I found the language of the third POV a bit dry. Nonetheless, the sample didn't engage me enough to want to finish the balance of the book. I won't buy and read the book, as it just isn't my cup of tea. The positive official review didn't affect my decision either way.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 10:40 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Amagine

Judging the front cover, I might have been a little interested in the book because the title seems interesting. After reading the book, I doubt I would purchase it because it was too much information given at once.

While it is good to give a backstory it should be done in the story at a steady rate not all at once in the beginning. The beginning read like a history book and I was instantly bored. The prologue was much longer than it should have been. When I FINALLY got to the real story, it was pretty good. However,I was already bored by all the pages beforehand that the whole reading experience was ruined. I would suggest that next time just start with the story. Leave everything else for another chapter.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 11:34 am by Amagine.

ashley_claire

Judging strictly from the information I get from the cover, I probably wouldn't read this book. I only read nonfiction about once a year because it's not something I'm drawn to. The OBC review did make it sound like an entertaining read and made me more interested in the book. Though the first ten pages were well written and professionally edited, it didn't sway my initial thoughts on the book. The back story sets up the history of Tanganyika. Unfortunately history is another subject I'm not particularly interested in. I know this isn't the format of the whole book and it's just to let the reader know some background information about the area, but it did nothing to curb my original opinion that this book isn't for me.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 11:53 am by ashley_claire.

James Craft

This looks like an incredibly interesting book about life in Africa. The over is a little bit blurry and difficult to see, but considering the old image being used it is sort of understandable. The opening of the book is very compelling and drew me into the world, and considering how many positive reviews it got it certainly seems like a worthwhile book. However, it isn't something I would normally read and I just don't have time to read it right now.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 11:54 am by James Craft.

Scerakor

Based on my lack of experience with reading autobiographies, I would have quickly dismissed this book solely on the cover, blurb, and description alone. They usually just aren't my cup of tea. The review on OBC however piqued my interest. Finally, after reading the first ten pages I saw what I would have been missing. From the sample I read this looks like an extremely well written book on a subject that I never thought I would be interested in. I loved the descriptions of the location, I loved the uncaring acceptance of danger (it's just how it was), and the mental fortitude of the British industrialist as they try to put into action a plan they haven't thought out. I likely will not buy the book today but will definitely consider it to read at some point in the future. I read the official OBC review and it most definitely did influence me to read the sample.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 1:32 pm by Scerakor.

Vermont Reviews

A spiffing good story. I loved the descriptions of the train ride. I felt like I was there. Very well written. I did purchase the book based on the preview. Adding this one to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 1:41 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I am not a huge fan of autobiographies. After reading the first ten pages, I do think the author has a great personal writing style and an interesting story to tell. I think those who enjoy this genre would like this book. It's not for me though so I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 4:15 pm by CrescentMoon.

dhomespot

This books looks to be professionally edited with no signs of mistakes and it does have an official review. I had a hard time getting past the "Background" in the sample. It reminded me too much of reading from a history book. I do not see myself buying this book as I do not usually read this genre.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 5:24 pm by dhomespot.

Sarah_Khan

I probably would not have picked this book up if it was not part of the First Ten program because I generally do not read autobiographies. The great online book club review made me think favorably of this novel. After reading the first ten pages, it seems professionally edited and well-written. The premise is set in an interesting time with a unique point of view. Unfortunately, this just is not my type of book, therefore I do not intend to purchase it today.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 6:30 pm by Sarah_Khan.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I normally don't read non-fiction. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing style seemed very detailed, but I don't have much background knowledge so I was a little confused. It was professionally edited. The official review made the book sound like a very interesting and authentic biography about a boy growing up in Africa, but I agree that some translations along the way would be helpful.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 7:18 pm by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

The Amazon description for this one was rather promising, talking about a place I'd never heard of and it was autobiographical to boot! However, so far the first ten pages have been all set-up, rather dryly full of information. I love to learn about a new place and history, so this was potentially a great combination, but it was just too rough getting through the first ten pages to want to purchase and finish it.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 7:18 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

jamesabr

The start to this book was a bit dull for my tastes. I like in medias res more than the backstory leading up to the beginning events of a book, but I can see why it was necessary. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would likely have sampled this book due to the Online Book Club review of it. I can't think of a particular moment that stood out to me as the best part, but the information regarding the boarding schools was the most fascinating to me. I will not purchase and read this book because of disinterest in the sample. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 7:53 pm by jamesabr.

bookowlie

I enjoyed reading the Amazon summary as I like memoirs and learning more about regions and cultures I know very little about. The summary appears to be edited well. The only thing that I found confusing is the use of the term "novel." The book is categorized on Amazon in the biography/memoir genre which is non-fiction, yet the book is categorized as fiction based on the author's description of it as a novel. The beginning pages are also well written, but I found the story slow-paced with too much textbook-like information. Based on that, I am on the fence about wanting to read the book, and would probably now purchase it.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 8:39 pm by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the book, my opinion remains. While I liked the author's writing style overall, I thought that the first few pages had a lot of information, which made the sample a little boring to read for me. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be purchasing it today.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 9:42 pm by AA1495.

SandraTWP-BRW

I'm not a fan of the cover of this book, it seems crowded and the colors feel grim, or scary. On the other hand, the plot was really interesting to me, and made more so by his former classmates saying it was realistic.

I really enjoyed reading the excerpt. I feel for Edwards in his loneliness, but I can also pick up the cheer of the other children, and the adventure of the train ride.

The excerpt appeared well edited. I noticed no errors.

I will be reading the balance of this book.

First Ten review added on March 28, 2017, at 10:42 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

ananya92

This autobiographical novel, based in colonial Tanzania, narrates the author's experiences in his strict boarding school and struggling against the vagaries of life in East Africa. The description was interesting and the review was encouraging as well; however my initial interest in the plot evaporated when I read the sample. Though the sample seems to be professionally edited, the author's writing style is dull and overly informative. The descriptions were vivid but the narration felt flat and did not seem engaging enough for readers. Therefore, I'll skip this book.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 2:58 am by ananya92.

Bfrisco

Frankly, based on the cover and title, I would not have looked into this book. The description would also have discouraged me from reading further. Even the official onlinebookclub review led me to believe this book would not be enjoyable for me. I don't enjoy autobiographies or stories rooted in history, generally. However, when I read the sample, I was pleasantly surprised to find it engaging and easy to read. I enjoyed the way the author wrote the dialogue in this book. I also felt the author did an excellent job describing events as they happened. The setting was easy to visualize because of the descriptions provided by the author. Unfortunately, I don't think I would continue reading it myself, but I would certainly recommend it if I knew of someone who read this genre of book.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 4:37 am by Bfrisco.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC reviewer enjoyed this book and gave it 4 stars. However, autobiographies aren't my favorite type of book. I read the sample and couldn't get into this story. It would be interesting for those who like this genre.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 12:28 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, this book intrigued me by it's cover and title. However, after reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing this book. It didn't hold my interest. I was not impressed by the author's style of writing.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 2:53 pm by Kdonegan91.

Gravy

I can't say I would've looked at this, but I might have. I get interested in different things, so it may have caught my eye.
I'm no expert so I could be wrong, but it seems like it could use an edit. I did find myself going back over sentences.
I like the author's style, and may wind up more interested in the book at a later date. It's interesting, but doesn't really fall into any category I typically read, so it's a no for the moment.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 3:20 pm by Gravy.

hsimone

I do find the cover to be a bit too red, a dramatic color, but it does seem to fit with the story. The title, the blurb, and the genre (memoir) are all of interest to me. Though with little reviews, they both are very positive. However, with the length of this book, I most likely would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the way the author tells his story. When the bee hive was knocked and a swarm of bees came to attack Sorrel and his assistant, I could vividly picture it and the scene gave me chills (although, I am deathly scared of bees, so this could have contributed to my chills). When a book can teach me something that I'm unfamiliar with, I am more prone to give it a try and I feel I can learn quite a bit here. At this point in the story, I am intrigued, especially with the beginning's connection with the boy in this tale. Therefore, I do plan on buying this book and giving it a read eventually.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 3:47 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book without this program. I'm not a fan of autobiographies. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. The content and style aren't for me. I thought the sentences were a little lengthy in the part I read. The descriptions were good, but a little wordy, in my opinion. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 5:23 pm by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

I read a lot of memoirs, and I often gravitate towards memoirs from people who have experienced things that I probably never will. For this reason, I considered it very probable that I would end up adding this book to the list. However, when I read the sample, I found the beginning quite dry. It was less an introduction to a life than an introduction to the place. Maybe the book gets better and more personalized, but I haven't got the spare time to find out right now.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 9:19 pm by L_Therese.

Pilar Guerrero

I read the sample from Amazon because I got interested in the subtitle of the book. I am interested in learning about the African continent and this book offers the perspective of a child.
I read the first part and found it engaging, clear in the historic details and honest about the conditions in which people had to live and work at the beginning of the book. I enjoyed the writing style and I have already bought the book to read it.

First Ten review added on March 29, 2017, at 10:43 pm by Pilar Guerrero.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read/sample this because I normally do not read many autobiographies.

I decided to buy the book and I will read it eventually. Reading the first ten pages convinced me that this author knows his stuff.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I really enjoyed learning about the region and the plans for colonization in the first ten pages. This could have been very dry non-fiction, but the author tells it in an engaging way. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book to find out what happens.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 2:53 am by truebookaddict.

chocomeiske

I'm not a fan of autobiographies so I wouldn't have taken notice of this is not for this program. The sample was interesting enough but I'm not interested in reading the rest simply because I don't read autobiographies. I can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 3:04 am by chocomeiske.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because the story about Africa is not what I would like to be reading. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not catch my attention. It wasn't interesting. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 3:13 am by jungkookblog.

klbradley

I have never really been much of a fan of non fiction books. I feel like it usually takes too long for me to get interested, if I'm able to at all. I usually only find interest in them if it somehow relates to me. My sister went on an a trip to Tanzania right after graduating high school and I can remember her coming home with some really amazing stories to tell us about the people she met. Any other time, I would probably pass on this one since it's just not usually my thing, but I'm going to give this one a shot and read more into his adventures in Africa.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 4:50 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and the OBC review this isn't a book I'd be interested in reading. First it's non fiction, and second it's a biography of sorts and I'm not interested in too many of those. After sampling my opinion was unchanged because the prologue was really long and drawn out and honestly boring. I didn't see any errors in the sample. I won't be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 6:55 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

When I first saw the official OBC of "The Slope of Kongwa Hill" I was intrigued by the premise. I enjoy memoirs about lives that are different than mine and I definitely think the setting for this book qualifies. Prior to sampling the book as part of this program, I considered reading it based on the positive reviews and the overall content. After reading the sample I found the writing was my favorite part. The narrative flows smoothly and I did not detect any editorial issues. However, I thought the prologue was a little dry. Though I think the information provided is necessary to describe the setting for readers, I thought it could have been provided in a more interesting manner. Perhaps it could have been interwoven with the start of the actual memoir. I think "The Slope of Kongwa Hill" could prove to be an interesting read; however, I think it will be a slow read based on the sample. I will not continue to read this book at this time.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 8:21 am by MarisaRose.

Shreyoshi Sen

Buying a book based on cover is not at all my choice and since it is an autobiography I would not be buying it soon as I don't read autobiographies much. The review was helpful and the book was properly edited. I liked how the life of the author was pictured.

First Ten review added on March 30, 2017, at 9:30 am by Shreyoshi Sen.

Total ~ 19%

This book earned a score of 19%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 19% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Slope of Kongwa Hill in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Slope of Kongwa Hill in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

e-tasana-williams

4-Star Shelf

mohammedaslam

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

CatInTheHat

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

blakejack1123

Want To Read Shelf