Cover for Bluewater Walkabout

The First Ten Feedback for Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel

Because Bluewater Walkabout was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled this book without the program as it isn't my preferable genre The cover is nice but the blurb is way too long and full of unnecessary details and praises. I like it that the author gave us the background to the trip before moving to the trip itself. The pictures added much to the story I have to say. I found the language a bit flat and didn't connect to it at all. After reading the sample I decided not to read the balance of the book. It isn't my cup of tea nor have I become engaged in the tale. I didn't see any official review, but it didn't affect my decision either way.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 9:44 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. It doesn't belong to a genre that I usually read. Having sampled the book, I found it interesting. I liked the writing style of the author. It is evident that the author has put in considerable effort into the book. However, I would have liked to understand the characters better. The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not come across an official Onlinebookclub review. While a favorable one would have helped, I think I will still read this book further at some point in the future.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 10:28 am by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching and made me interested in finding out more about the book. Although the Amazon summary gave a good flavor of the story, it was long and rambling. It made me think that the writing style in the book would be the same way. I liked the inclusion of photographs and cute pictures in the sample pages, since it gave the story a personalized feel. Unfortuantely, I found the writing long-winded and a little rambling like the summary blurb. Based on the summary blurb and beginning pages, I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 10:47 am by bookowlie.

ALynnPowers

The summary of the book had me hooked. I love travelling and experiencing other cultures, and I'm all about reading other adventurers' true accounts of the same. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this story; I suspect it might be more of what I was expecting as it moves along, but the opening just did not draw me in. In fact, I felt like it kind of pushed me away. The may be a strange way to put it, but the ostentatious tone just felt a little exclusive to me -- I didn't feel like I was welcome aboard this journey along with the family. They're so much better than I am, being able to take such an amazing trip and experience these things. I'd much rather read about something more inviting.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 11:42 am by ALynnPowers.

Sarah_Khan

I find the cover of this book appealing to the eyes and the title is unique. Reading the blurb only left me confused and expecting a bunch of editing errors. After reading the first few pages I can say it was better edited than I expected and the story is interesting for people who enjoy this genre but it is not my type of book so I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 12:02 pm by Sarah_Khan.

L_Therese

When I saw this book, I was excited. It was going to tell a story of travel and discovery, and there was an elephant on the front! When I read the first ten pages, I was a little disappointed because the beginning didn't seem to match my impression. It still seemed like an interesting book but not fascinating enough for me to add to my list right now. It wasn't what I was hoping for.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 2:48 pm by L_Therese.

hsimone

Typically, I do not read traveling memoirs, so even with the interesting cover, title, and fairly good reviews, but no OBC review, I would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on the bit that I read, it seems like the book has been professionally edited. I really like the concept of this book - traveling to a different country and have the adventure of a lifetime. I'm not sure how relatable this is to me, but nonetheless, it sounds exciting. Unfortunately, I will not be buying and reading this book. Even with its seemingly thrilling concept, I was not captured enough to want to spend money on this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 3:13 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I don't think I would have sampled this book based on the blurb. I don't usually like memoirs. After reading the first pages, I will not be purchasing the book. The style was a little hard for me to get into. I am also really hesitant because there was not an OBC review. I also noticed a few errors right away in the book. An example of an error was an extra "the" in one of the sentences.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 3:20 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Rachel1019

This book is a wonderful portrayal of the author's adventures. It is written less as an autobiography and in a more story-like way. I really appreciate that about the book. It is a real shame that this book has not been reviewed on the OBC website, because I would have liked to see a good summary of the book as a whole. Reading the first part of the book gives a good idea about how the book was written, but gives no clue as to what is coming later. This would be a great book to read if you are interested on going on a walkabout, or if you are an adventurer. As I am neither, this book does not interest me as much. I will not be finishing it.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 3:28 pm by Rachel1019.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I like the cover, but the blurb seemed too much like a list of everything that happened instead of something that would pull the reader in and make them want to know what was going to happen next. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. Until the end of chapter 3, I thought the writing was straightforward and professional but a little dull. I did not read an official review but this did not alter my opinion.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 4:04 pm by psychopathycathy.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, and blurb, I would not pick this book up. I am more into fiction books and this really is not the genre I go for. After reading the first ten pages, I will not read the rest. I think the writing style is straight and direct which is fitting for a memoir. I have a hard time getting into the book, so I will not finish it. I am not the target audience for this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 5:08 pm by CrescentMoon.

klbradley

What caught my attention first about this one is how the author took their children on the trip to Africa with them, with sounds like a journey all in its own. The synopsis and the first ten pages sound wonderful.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 5:08 pm by klbradley.

Vermont Reviews

Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
After reading the preview I have decided not to download this book.
I did find two errors that I will point out for the author to correct. The first one (and wilted (from) the earth (not form). The second one "That was my favorite hat!" (he) shouted (not se).
You may want to consider having your book proofed and edited. These two errors were from the preview. There may be more in the balance of the book. I was glad to read that you escaped the world of real estate. With the likes of "Big Al" and "Thomas". My reading schedule is overbooked right now and I would not have the time to finish your story. Congratulations on being book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 8:29 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Gravy

I do not believe this was professionally edited. There were multiple errors, and the stories just don't seem to go anywhere. It all feels like a series of digressions that will never get to the point.

Jeffrey's Bay is called Jeffrey's Braii, but I believe the correct version would be "Jeffrey's Baai". Braii seems more likely to be a misspelling of the South African BBQ, brai. I would brush this off as a simple misspelling, except I believe travel memoirs should be accurate to the place and people it's describing, and I've never heard it pronounced with an 'R'.

In the same vain, I wish there would have been an attempt at accuracy with the map. It shows Jo'burg way too far south, and doesn't include Cape Town at all, despite its being mentioned in the text.

Memoirs are something I greatly enjoy, and I have a great interest in South Africa (and great white sharks, for that matter), so I would have looked at this book. However, given the digressive style of the writing, as well as the inaccuracy overall, I will not be continuing.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 10:41 pm by Gravy.

Rachaelamb1

The book has a great cover, title, and description. This is the type of book I would normally read. I enjoyed the first ten pages. It sounds like a crazy adventure and I am interested to hear more about it. The beginning seems a little slow because of a lot of background information. I will not be buying this book right now because I have too many other books to read, but I will keep my eye on it. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2016, at 11:40 am by Rachaelamb1.

Cjgarland89

Based on the Amazon reviews I wouldn't have read this book normally. I typically don't read nonfiction, unless it is a historical biography. I didn't really enjoy the first ten, I respect the author's love of what she was embarking on but it's just not interesting enough to finish the entire book. It does seem professionally edited and well written. I didn't see an OBC review but it likely would not have changed my mind or opinion on the book.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2016, at 1:03 pm by Cjgarland89.

CataclysmicKnight

From the title and the cover I definitely expected adventure from this one, but what I didn't expect was the exceptional writing style. It flows poetically with such an obvious love of adventure that it could inspire anyone to travel! The concept also screams trouble as a family with two teenagers decides to go on their version of a walkabout. While it may not be high in my list of books to read, I'm sure I'll end up finishing it!

First Ten review added on November 8, 2016, at 12:02 am by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I don't often read memoirs. I prefer fiction or more scholarly non-fiction so I probably would not have chosen to read or sample this book had it not been for this program.

I will not buy and read the whole book because the price is above my eBook price limit. If the price would have been lower, I might have been more likely to purchase it, as I enjoyed the sample.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

The author is very engaging in the telling of her tale. I felt like I was experiencing the story right along with her. I think it's amazing the way they travelled as a family. That kind of adventurous spirit is inspiring and makes one think they can accomplish anything. The only thing negative I can say is sometimes she suddenly flashes back when talking about the present and that was a bit confusing.

This book did not have an offical OBC review, but the lack of such did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2016, at 3:44 am by truebookaddict.

Christina O Phillips

The summary sounded somewhat interesting. The beginning of the chapters feel cluttered: there's a title, a picture, a caption, and a quotation. I would prefer to see either a picture or a quotation, but that may just be me. The writing seemed solid: clear, descriptive and narrative sentences. The subject though was just not interesting to me. I did not read anything in these first ten pages that made me want to read more.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 11:13 am by Christina O Phillips.

Scerakor

The cover, blurb, and review of this book were very attractive but I likely would not have given it the time of day were it not for the first ten program. I am not a big reader of memoirs and it really is the only reason why I wouldn't have picked it up. After reading the first ten pages, I was engulfed in the adventure on which the narrator is embarking. It sounds like an amazing experience. It looks very well written and edited, but simply due to my ever present TBR list, I likely will not read the rest of this book. The official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 12:10 pm by Scerakor.

ananya92

I have honestly never come across such a book in the non-fiction genre. It chronicles the adventure of one family across the seas, from South Africa to South Pacific. What really impressed me about this book was not the comic, sometimes dangerous, adventures, but the spirit of exploration, of living, and of experiencing nature that is embodied in this book. For a non-fiction book, there is no thrill missing in this one. Perhaps just to remind us that this book is based on real events, the author supplements her stories with plenty of pictures. The description and review of the book were quite encouraging, and hint that there are some serious issues discussed in this book as well. Though this novel certainly seems interesting, I think I'll skip this one since currently I'm not up for reading a book in this genre.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 1:25 pm by ananya92.

classicaltwist

If I hadn't read the sample, I might read the book just based on the title, cover, blurb, and reviews. It does seem interesting and I do like nonfiction. I also loved the cover. It's beautiful. However, I wouldn't buy it outright. The blurb was interesting, but the writing wasn't great. And I just so many books on my list, that it wouldn't be compelling enough for me to buy immediately. This would be a maybe for me.

I really liked the sample. It's still not something I would buy immediately, but it was interesting. It seemed to be professionally edited, and I liked the writing style. The official OnlineBookClub review was really positive as well. I won't be buying it today, but it will definitely be on my to-read list.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 3:08 pm by classicaltwist.

chocomeiske

Such a cool cover! I really get the Africa Safari vibe with the elephant.I love the idea of a walkabout, a sort of spiritual journey which took the writer to follow her dreams of seeking adventure in foreign climes. I enjoyed the sample and loved the personal photos placed throughout. I can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 3:16 pm by chocomeiske.

ZenaLei7

This seems like an interesting read, but I usually don't read memoirs. I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either. Based off of the book cover, I think I would read it and see what the book is about.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 4:28 pm by ZenaLei7.

Jaime Lync

Bluewater Walkout by Tina Dreffin has a very cool cover and judging from the sample the book is pretty cool too. Tina, her husband peter and their teenage sons are going on an adventure to Africa on their catamaran. The book seems to be professionally edited. Tina uses the first person perspective to narrate this memoir in a conversational writing style that seems to afford this story a good pace. I am grateful for the first ten program because my lengthy reading list would not have included this book if I had not been enrolled in the program. Yes, I hope to be able to read this book from cover to cover in the not so distant future.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 6:18 pm by Jaime Lync.

James Craft

The cover of this book is really interesting with the elephant sort of built into the skyline. The opening was clean and enticing and really set the story up, but right now I'm too busy with other books to pick this one up and give a full chance. I didn't find any editing mistakes and the reviews I saw made the book sound great. All in all, looks like a good book just now one I'll get right now.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 7:55 pm by James Craft.

va2016

A great book of travel and adventure! The narrations about South African coast and the plan for the voyage towards the Caribbean sounds awesome! The author has sprinkled interesting tidbits of information which is interesting. The willpower of the protagonist to carry on with the journey in spite of difficulties is also well illustrated in the beginning of the story itself. I sampled a few pages. It sounds like a great book, but not my type. Thanks.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 10:34 pm by va2016.

Miche Sora

The cover art is neat. I read the sample, and the BotD reviewer is correct--it's very easy to get into the author's style. She draws you in immediately.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 1:15 am by Miche Sora.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. The blurb made me interested in the story, and the book has received many wonderful reviews. After reading the first ten pages, I will be reading the rest of the book, because I am interested in the story. It does appear to be professionally edited. The OnlineBookClub review encourages me to read the rest of the book, especially since it says that the book has a humorous tone while dealing with serious subjects.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 3:41 am by Kitkat3.

Momlovesbooks

The cover and title of this book caught my attention. The OBC review was positive and I thought I'd give it a try, even though it doesn't seem like my usual choice of books. I read the sample and found it to be well-written and interesting. Although it would appeal to those fans of this genre, I'm not sure I would enjoy it. I won't be reading it at this time.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 4:45 pm by Momlovesbooks.

MarisaRose

Prior to sampling this book, I would not have chosen to purchase it. I'm not a huge fan of memoirs and this choose to read then sparingly. After sampling the beginning of "Bluewater Walkabout," I was impressed with the format of the book as well as the rapids the author included. Based on the prologue, this book seems to be written from a very personal place, which makes the narrative voice appealing. However, the overall content of the book just didn't pique my interest enough to warrant purchasing its entirety. I can see how this book will appeal to many, but I'm just not up for reading this one.

First Ten review added on May 30, 2017, at 10:22 pm by MarisaRose.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because when I first look at it, it seems like it's a nonfiction book with no plot line. I will not be reading this book because I feel like I would not enjoy this book because it's mostly about Africa, and no story much. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 1:43 am by jungkookblog.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover, blurb, and reviews I don't think I would have read this book. The cover makes it look pretty serious, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the reviews and blurb. I don't read a lot of memoirs, and even though I do enjoy reading about travel, I'm not seeing much in the blurb to interest me. It seems hokey or like it's trying too hard.

After reading the sample, I've decided that I'm going to give the book a shot and try reading the whole thing. The writing is friendly and accessible, a good style for a memoir. The book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any mistakes.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 3:54 am by CarrieMe.

Snowflake

The cover of this book is quite cool and I like the title. I would likely have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the sample and the OBC review also added to my interest. I did notice a few typos/grammar errors but they were not significant. The memoir flowed well and it was easy to understand and imagine. I find this type of story interesting and since it is free on kindle unlimited, I plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 9:26 am by Snowflake.

Vickie Noel

I think the book cover is cute and the title is nothing short of intriguing. I'm not so sure if I would have been that interested in reading it though. I think the story line would appeal a lot more to travelers and adventurers as it didn't quite catch my interest when reading the sample. Grammatically however, I found nothing to be improved on. The OBC review was fine as well.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 11:49 am by Vickie Noel.

IsabelMay

I find that this is the perfect book to read on a rainy day with a cup of coffee. Full of adventure, it's still light-hearted and takes the reader on a journey. Formatting is praiseworthy, but when it comes to writing, there's some room for improvement. The summary reveals a bit too much and (judging by the cover) I thought it would be a suspense novel, not a memoir so it's a bit misleading. Overall, I like the premise, but am not interested in buying the book.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 12:54 pm by IsabelMay.

Gingerbo0ks

The cover looks eye catching and professional which is nice. The blurb is helpful in understanding the book. I like how the writing is almost like it's telling a fictional story. I don't really like the title as it seems to describe a little fun trip into Africa. Whereas Africa is a big continent, it's more than one country, more than one place. It can't be explored and discovered and just happened across in a "walkabout".

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 1:07 pm by Gingerbo0ks.

geoffrey ngoima

I would choose to sample this book before reading the ten pages because of the exciting title and interesting book cover. The blurb and the editorial review are very exciting and encouraging.
I still feel I would read the book after reading the ten sample pages because of the wanderlust it instilled in me. I think it has quite a lot to say and the genre of adventure is quite appealing to me. The book was clear and well edited apart from one or two punctuation errors.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 1:25 pm by geoffrey ngoima.

ashley_claire

I really can't even begin to guess what this book is about based on the cover alone. I do think it's gorgeous, though. Reading the OBC review made me excited to sample this book. It deals with some issues that I've been through myself while also using humor to tell of their adventures. Memoirs are usually an immediate turn off for me, but this one sounds like something I might be able to relate to. I didn't find any errors in the first ten pages. My thoughts about this book after reading the review haven't changed and I'm still excited to read it. I'm happy this is a book of the month pick because I can see how there will be many different aspects to talk about. I look forward to reading more!

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 1:57 pm by ashley_claire.

micoleon13

This is a beautiful cover, I would pick this up to find out more just from the picture. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and, even though I don't read many non fiction books, made me want to read it. The pages which I read were well written and edited. I liked the passion behind the writing as well as being able to appreciate the bravery of the author. This is a book I would like to read. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 2:15 pm by micoleon13.

Excitedreads

This is a great book. Travel, adventure, family, fun, and personal trials from a real person, who lived, loved and laughed will always be something worthwhile. I loved Mrs Dreffin's humour. She has a sure way of making you chuckle while you read. I can connect with her, as a mother and as a woman struggling with my own personal trials. I also loved that she is honest with her feelings. She's not afraid to say she is afraid or has doubts, even though it takes courage to do what she did. It doesn't feel forced, and that's great when trying to connect to an author. The OBC review also reiterates that, and had I not sampled it, the cover alone would have intrigued me. However, as well written and as relatable as it is, with no noticeable grammatical flaws, I don't think I'll read it. Not because the book isn't good, but because it's not my type of novel, as non fiction almost never appeals to me. I'm sure however, that other adventure seekers, and actual non fiction readers will enjoy this one.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 2:27 pm by Excitedreads.

Naval Aulakh

"Bluewater Walkabout" is a well written non-fiction novel. It depicts the experiences of Tina Dreffin and her husband. After reading its review on OnlineBookClub, I decided to read the sample of the book. But, I got confused and could not understand the story at the beginning of the sample. But, after reading it further I got an idea of the plot.

I liked the cover of the book but I would not like to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 3:43 pm by Naval Aulakh.

Christina Rose

This is not a genre that I typically read, and although the cover is unique, it would not pique my interest. The first ten pages were interesting and well written. I did not notice any errors. The Official review was also positive, but I do not think I will be reading the book any time soon. I may keep it in mind for the future though.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 4:39 pm by Christina Rose.

Izesicle

The cover is very well designed and attractive. I would read the book based on the cover the award and the review. The sample is written clearly and simply with a casual tone. The photographs and the maps add more interest to the story. I especially like the drawings of people jumping that are in the map. I didn't notice any errors. However i will not read or buy the book simply because i'm not interested in continuing to read the story based on the genre and the review.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 5:38 pm by Izesicle.

Donnavila Marie01

Tina Driffin's travel memoir gives us a perfect picture of life in the ocean. Her life with her husband and her two teen boys is exciting yet, full of trouble. They reached the dangerous parts of Africa and here, their heart-breaking but humurous experiences commence.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 5:56 pm by Donnavila Marie01.

Lennycat

Had I not read the first ten pages as a part of this program, I probably would have read this book because it is a Book of the Month book on OnlineBookClub.org. I also read the review at OnlineBookClub.org and the Reviewer really liked the book, so it peaked my curiosity. I love the cover. It is very professional looking and I like that it includes the Award Winning seal. After reading the sample, I did not find any technical or grammatical errors. I think I went way past ten pages. The author's writing style is very easy and flowed nicely. I was engage in the book immediately and felt taken away to the sea as the writer described her adventures. I will definitely finish this book at some point.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 6:47 pm by Lennycat.

RegularGuy3

The cover art is definitely eye-catching. Honestly, a little weird--but it's the kind of thing that I would pick up off the shelf purely out of curiosity. I probably also would have started reading it--I like memoirs involving struggles against nature. And the review was certainly effusive in its praise. However, I did not enjoy the first ten pages. I was quickly distracted by the lack of the word "a" before "walkabout." It was jarring, and I had to stop and re-read to make sure I hadn't missed something. Then a few pages later, the "a" suddenly showed up. It made me question the editing of the book. And "Peter" shows up right at the start without any introduction. Then the prologue begins with a really vague sentence--Young children are impressionable. Note that there is both a preface and a prologue. One would suffice. Suddenly we are in Africa. It's too jumbled for me. I just didn't connect with the book. As I said, this kind of book is generally up my alley, but I won't be continuing reading based on these initial impressions.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 7:03 pm by RegularGuy3.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. I've seen this book often and wondered about it. Just based on the cover, I always thought that the book was about elephants. After reading the blurb, I learned that this was a non-fiction novel about a woman's travels. This book sounds interesting, but just not for me. I think that some of the "adventures" would be a bit too much for me. I think that the author tells a remarkable story that many will enjoy, but it's just not one for me. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The review for this book is engaging and very positive.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 7:15 pm by BunnySTx.

Jeyran Main

I love the cover but from the sample, the book is not what I would wanna read. It is nonfiction and about a person traveling which does not really appeal to me. The book is edited and the official review for the book does provide a lot of information. However, it still did not make it that interesting to buy.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 8:08 pm by Jeyran Main.

Kdonegan91

By cover alone, I was drawn to this book. It is absolutely stunning. After reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, I am even more anxious to read this book. I enjoyed the author's style of writing and easy to understand terminology. I will buy this book.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 8:59 pm by Kdonegan91.

Afuglsan

Based on the cover and title, I thought the book looked and sounded unique. What really sparked my interest was learning that it is a memoir about an adventure of a lifetime. I love traveling and books that inspire me to never lose my wanderlust. The book so far is amazing. The author can certainly tell an entertaining story. I thought the setup was a little goofy how she keeps going back in time with each chapter, but it works well. I was very surprised to see her backstory. I am very eager to see where this book will go, and I will be reading it in the future.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 10:54 pm by Afuglsan.

Londera

If I had not sampled this book as part of the first ten program I most likely would not have read this book.Though I usually enjoy travel memoirs,currently I want to read something more fast paced. The plot sounds good but the first few pages didnt capture my attention enough to buy and read the book. For these reasons I wont finish read it.I did not notice any errors in the portion that I read so it does look profesionally edited.I have read the official book club review and this did not change my opinion of the book.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2017, at 11:05 pm by Londera.

Bluecobia

The cover and title are interesting. The fact that the book has been given an award already is impressive. The amazon review gave me a favorable impression. I sometimes read travel books, so that is in the book's favor.

The preface of the book tended to turn me off with the talk of personal issues and mental healing. That sounded like the book might be depressing. Reading more made it feel much better, a travelogue, an adventure, descriptionso of far off places, this is much more attractive to me. The official review supports these thoughts. I think this is a book that I might read but I need to be in the right mood. I am not buying it today but I might in the future.

I did not see any editorial errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 12:27 am by Bluecobia.

jwalker73

I love the cover and title. The blurb and reviews are positive. I would have probably purchased this book solely based on these. After reading the first ten pages, however, I do not feel like I have connected with this book. While the sample I read discusses how the journey came about, and introduces the characters about to embark on this journey, I did not feel I could relate to the story. I was probably too eager to be on the boat and off exploring. For me, personally, the book would have probably have gained my interest more if it had started on board the boat, and then discussed what made them decide to undertake this adventure. At this point in time I do not plan to continue reading this book. I may reconsider this at a later date.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 1:05 am by jwalker73.

ReviewerDiksha

Though the cover of this book is very catchy, I was still sceptic about buying this book. However, when I read the official OBC review, the premise of this novel became a bit more clearer. After reading the sample, I am pretty sure about it. I loved the engaging writing style of the author and look forward to reading it further.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 1:05 am by ReviewerDiksha.

Yolimari

At first, I was interested in the book because of its beautiful cover. The reviews in the forums were positive. After I read the sample pages, I decided I will not read this book. It seems professionally edited, but the story failed to grab my attention.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 4:52 am by Yolimari.

DDunstock

Reading the blurb, I had a bit of an Eat, Pray, Love Deja Vu. I like the idea of reading about a self-better'ment journey, especially when it involves traveling to other countries to essential find yourself through perils and discovery. I would probably take a gander based on that.
I enjoyed the first ten pages of this book. I like the pictures, too. What a different way to live! As a mom of three, I have a traditional life in the suburbs, carting my sons to where they need to go. This was fascinating to me, being someone awfully fond of traveling! I will read this book!

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 10:57 am by DDunstock.

Mallory Whitaker

I would have sampled this outside of this program but not outside of this site. I would've sampled it because it's the book of the month. The book sounds interesting enough but I'm not usually too into travel stories unless there's something that personally interests me about the plots or locations mentioned. I just wasn't particularly drawn to this book. I don't really think anything stood out to me that said this was a different book than several other travel narratives I've read. I don't think I'm going to be reading the whole book. While the first ten pages were enjoyable enough they still didn't really resonate with me or make me feel like this book was going to take me somewhere that other books in this genre haven't gone before (and I'm not talking about actual locations or anything). Basically, it just feels like books I've read before and there are too many books out there for me to want to read one I feel like I've already read. It does seem to be professionally edited. I like that the author has a very casual tone and it's easy to see where her sense of adventure comes from, relate to both her and her family, and understand why she's receiving this call to adventure. It just seems generic, but I'm not sure how that can be changed. I'm sure for others it doesn't come off that way. We all look for different things in memoirs like this and I'm sure it will resonate with others. The Official Review was good, but it didn't really sway my opinion either way. Although I do think the random jumps in time would've been difficult for me to keep up with.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 1:13 pm by Mallory Whitaker.

ReadingRebecca

I don't think I'm going to finish this one. While it is really exciting, some of the writing stumbles just a tad or words are repeated within a paragraph. The OBC review is very positive, but it did not change my mind in this case. I would not have picked this book up on my own since I don't usually read this genre. The sample was good, I just don't think I want to read this one right now.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2017, at 7:57 pm by ReadingRebecca.

desantismt_17

Even though I don’t usually read memoirs, the title of this book caught my eye. After reading the description and checking out a few reviews, I thought “looks cool, but not for me.” After reading the sample, I will read this book. The writing is absolutely gorgeous and appears professionally edited. I didn’t notice any mistakes. The sense of adventure the author conveys through her words was my favorite thing. It called to me. I can’t think of anything to improve this based on what I read. The OnlineBookClub.org review gave this book 4 of 4 stars, which helped push me along the decision to read this book.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 9:31 am by desantismt_17.

DancingLady

I don’t think I would have looked at this book based on title and genre because I really don’t care for memoirs in general. The review made it sound a bit more interesting though. Reading the first 10 pages was somewhat interesting. I definitely got the sense of adventure, but at the same time the writing didn’t seem to flow well. It feels like something written by an inexperienced writer. The author didn’t seem relatable to me since unlike her, I have not encountered predators and have lives in very few locations. I didn’t find any errors and the editing was professional with the pictures well placed. I will not be reading the rest of the book because I’m not really interested in the subject.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 9:58 am by DancingLady.

Emmanae

I think with this being nonfiction and about Africa and a walkabout, I would have had to read the sample without this program. Ever since LOST I’ve been curious about walkabouts. I thoroughly loved the descriptions of the adventures on the boats, and it made me think that their boys must have been well behaved to live in such a confined separated space. I didn’t find errors, though there were some changes I would have wanted if it were a novel rather than a memoir, as things seemed to be styled in the English way ‘Going on walkabout’ vs ‘Going on a walkabout.’ I do believe the book was professionally edited. I’m not going to buy the book but I would consider it as a review book. $8 is too steep for me.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 10:04 am by Emmanae.

MsTri

Even though the cover for "Bluewater Walkabout" is very attractive, the title made me think that the subject matter would not be interesting to me. The synopsis and review confirmed my initial thoughts. I don't care for memoirs or books about journeys, and this one is no exception. The sample read was just okay, but I was glad to see that the book seems to be edited well. The thing I liked most was the inclusion of pictures, but my favorite part of the sample was when the author jumped into the water and was face-to-face with a barracuda. I have no suggestions for changes for this book because it's written well, it just isn't for me.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 10:25 am by MsTri.

kfwilson6

The word memoir pretty much solidified the fact that I would not read this book. The reviews are excellent, with almost all of them being extremely positive, which can frequently cause my interest to be peaked, but not in this case. I predict I would find this too boring to enjoy after reading the synopsis (even though the cover seems very exciting!). After sampling the book, I continue to feel the same. It appears to be very well-written; the descriptions are very vivid and are probably one of the strongest points of the book. I don't really find any added value in the pictures (especially the ones of the author and her family) as they are pretty meaningless to someone who doesn't know the author. I will definitely pass on this book but can see how it would be enjoyable for someone who enjoys adventurous memoirs.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 11:17 am by kfwilson6.

BookishCreature

At first glance, I was definitely interested in this book. I love travel memoirs, and this one seems packed with adventure and emotion. The OBC review was very positive, as were the Amazon reviews, which definitely helped my first impression. After reading the first ten pages, I was captivated by the writing style. The author's voice immediately jumps off the page, and I loved the inclusion of photos and maps to tell the story. I didn't find any errors in the sample, so I'm sure the book has been professionally edited. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget right now to buy the book today, which is the only reason I'm marking this book as a no. I hope I can come back to it soon.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 12:59 pm by BookishCreature.

ccrews0408

Based on the genre, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. I don't usually read non-fiction memoirs because they tend to be too heavy and emotional. I also prefer fiction novels. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I still don't plan on reading the whole story. The beginning was well-written and descriptive but it didn't keep my interest enough to continue. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 1:12 pm by ccrews0408.

melissy370

I don't usually read memoirs but "a comedy travel memoir" sounds promising. So from the blurb and cover I would at least sample the book. The sample itself was gripping and flowed with ease. I can relate with the wanderlust and enjoyed the pictures the author put in the book. I wonder how the author used this trip to help her recover from her rape so I will be reading the rest of the book. There were no errors that I saw in the story.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 3:33 pm by melissy370.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Bluewater Walkabout even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was very positive and made the memoir seem interesting and emotional. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the premise of the book. It was touching that the family decided to embark on one last journey together before the children grew up. I would have liked if a little bit more detail was used to described the scenery and characters. I probably will not buy the book today because I'm not very interested in boating.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 7:03 pm by lavellan.

Haute_Coffee

The cover got my attention right away, and since I enjoy memoirs, I was immediately interested. I enjoy reading about people who have lives completely different from mine- stories that are a window into something different. The beginning of this book certainly makes it seem like I will be taken on an adventure. It was introduced with a small amount of teasing to the story ahead. It was well-written and cleanly edited and I will enjoy reading an adventure taken by a family.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 8:46 pm by Haute_Coffee.

BriennaiJ

I was planning on reading this book prior to reading the first ten pages because I thought that the review made it sound interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I definitely want to read this book. I will read this book because the first ten pages drew me in and made me attached to the main character of Tina. I think that it is interesting that she felt bad about being adventurous until she met her other half. I also want to learn more about her adventures in Africa. This book did seem professionally edited, and I did not notice any errors. The only thing that could be improved would be the photo quality, if at all possible. They came up as really stretched and blurry on my computer scene. The inclusion of the Online Book Club review definitely influenced me to give this book a try more.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 9:27 pm by BriennaiJ.

Tbunde5

I enjoy reading about other countries, and the OBC review made this book sound interesting. Unfortunately I had difficulty following the story in the opening pages due to the overuse of flashbacks. There was no clear transition from one to the next, and the book read like a stream of consciousness babble. I noticed a few editing errors like a missing word here and there, although for the most part it was well done. However, due to the style of the author I will not buy or finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2018, at 11:46 pm by Tbunde5.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample Bluewater Walkabout apart from First Ten since neither the cover nor the title draws my attention. I was not eager to begin sampling this novel due to my current lack of interest in reading a memoir. Overall, I didn't find the sample interesting. I found it a bit difficult to focus on the text as a result. I will not be finishing this book. The official OBC review didn't influence my decision. This novel seems professionally edited and I didn't find any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 1:05 am by ladycraic.

cristinaro

I think the cover is one of the best I have ever seen. In addition, the title is also perfect for this non-fiction book which seems to be a delighful travel comedy memoir. The Amazon blurb provides enough details about the adventures in the book to trigger any reader's curiosity. There are many positive customer reviews praising the book for the author's unique writing style and ability to create vivid images and stir a variety of emotions. I am glad this program gave me the opportunity to check Tina Dreffin's book. Otherwise, I would not have been aware of its presence on the book market. The prologue impressed me with the sincerity of the author's observations. As Tina writes, every person should find some time to deal with his/her problems and look at life from a different angle. Her journey was a spiritual quest, a journey of self-discovery. It helped her realize she overestimated her problems and underestimated herself. I understood that her book might help others look at their own life from a different perspective. I liked her narrating style very much. I could easily picture her family in the Bahamas, rolling in the hammock and playing the game "I Dream Of...". Perhaps the greatest achievement of this book is that it teaches us all to follow our dreams as Tina and her family did when they decided to go on the South Pacific Expedition. The format of the book is appealing too. There are pictures of their adventures to make the story more credible. The descriptions are beautiful and entertaining. Besides, flashbacks are skillfully used to describe some story or memory from the past. The first-person narration makes us join Tina and her family in their incredible adventure. Since the book is professionally edited, I see no reason to spoil the pleasure of reading. The OnlineBookClub reviewer highly appreciates the book and recommends it to all those who love travelling or reading travel memoirs. I do not have time to plunge into such a book right now, but I hope I will be able to do it in the future.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 3:46 am by cristinaro.

Momiji1987

I love the colorful maps and personal photos the author included in her memoir. That, combined with her emotive writing style, really brings the story of her life to the reader. I like the adventurous story about going on a walkabout and I’m interested in finding out what happened. I also heard from the review that the story ends on a cliffhanger. I think that’s really cool and unique and makes me wonder if she’s planning a sequel. The editing looks very professional and I like the cover design as well. I’m interested in memoirs, but don’t look for books myself. The cover is interesting and draws me in, and the reviews interest me in sampling. I’m pretty busy at the moment, but I’ll put this book on my want to read list for later.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 5:11 am by Momiji1987.

ButterscotchCherrie

That's quite an intriguing cover, but I wouldn't have sampled this book on the basis of the genre because I don't normally read memoirs. I won't buy and read the rest of it on the basis of the first ten pages as those confirmed that this is the sort of collection of reminiscences that I don't normally read. It does seem professionally edited as I didn't notice any errors. What I liked best was the colourful descriptions of the author's inspiration to travel and of the abandoned buildings. Nothing could really be improved - the style and arrangement of the material are acceptable for a memoir but I just don't normally find those all that gripping. I have seen an OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 3:42 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. The description didn't really interest me at all. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. This book doesn't do anything to draw my attention. The story about the dolphin was sweet and I enjoyed it. However, it didn't interest me enough to want to finish the book. I would suggest the author improve the description. It's unclear what the topic of this book is, or whether it's a novel or a biography. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 4:05 pm by RebeccasReading.

ritah

Based on the title and genre alone, I wouldn't have sampled the book because I don't usually read memoirs. I read the official review for this book a while back, and I thought I should give this book/genre a try because the story sounded like something I really wanted to read; I wasn't disappointed, I found parts of the story to be compelling while others were heart-breaking. I also liked that the author included maps and images of her and her family's adventure, as they were relevant and added to her narrative. I'm happy I chose to read this novel and have recommended it to friends. When I read the book, I did encounter errors, and I thought that the book could benefit from another round of professional editing.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 5:59 pm by ritah.

ScoutWrites

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program I would probably have been interested in this book based on the title, cover, genre, blurb, and reviews I saw because it sounds like a good story about a journey, both physical and emotional. After reading the first ten pages, I changed my mind. I did not see any grammatical errors or anything to suggest the book wasn't professionally edited, but so far it just seems choppy to me, like the author couldn't figure out where the story begins. What I like most so far is the author's bravery, her willingness to embark on this perilous journey. But I just wasn't drawn into the story.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 8:28 pm by ScoutWrites.

Kathryn Price

Even before I started reading the sample, I wasn't super excited about this book. It's not the type of book I usually read, so I was willing to give it a try, but I was not very impressed. I think it's probably a good story, and the writing was very good, I just think that I was not in the right mood to enjoy this book when I read the sample. I still might try it out in the future, though, because this seemed like it was really good - I just didn't get a good first impression, probably because of my mood. I do think that others will probably enjoy this book. though.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2018, at 11:16 pm by Kathryn Price.

N_R

When I read this book, I knew that I was not going to be keen to read it. This is because I do not enjoy reading memoirs by people. I did read the sample and it did not change my mind at all. However, I do like the title and the cover page. Whenever I think of Africa, I think of elephants first and this is a very creative and well-done cover page. The sample was easy to read and it appeared to have been professionally edited and formatted. I did like how photographs were included of the family as this will help readers to develop a bond with them and really start to enjoy their story through their eyes. The reviews for this book are very positive and I think that people who enjoy this genre will enjoy this book.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2018, at 12:32 am by N_R.

SPasciuti

I was interested in this book prior to reading the sample, but not excessively so. I enjoy reading memoirs, but I don’t typically seek them out. I’m still interested after reading the sample, but not as much as before. I’m not sure if I like the voice in which this story is being told as it reads too much like the author is trying too hard to add in language that doesn’t match and isn’t telling enough of the story.

I didn’t like the introduction would suggest removing or rewriting it to improve the book. Though I did absolutely love the map in the beginning. I’m somewhat ambivalent about whether or not I will continue reading this one. Since it’s a maybe for me, I’m marking it as a no and will see if I come back to it at some point in the future.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2018, at 1:21 am by SPasciuti.

Total ~ 27%

Bluewater Walkabout earned a score of 27%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 27% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Bluewater Walkabout