Does anyone have a kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Kchirgwi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Does anyone have a kindle?

Post by Kchirgwi »

Do you like your kindle?
Aguswgs

Post by Aguswgs »

I'm very eager to get a Kindle, but I'm struggling with guilt because I've always been a book purist. I love the feel of a new trade paperback, and I love my shelves and shelves of books. I feel a little like I'm cheating on them!

SO, for everyone who has a Kindle (or other e-reader) already, what do you like most about your Kindle? What do you like least about it?

Thanks!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

So far my Kindle has not replaced either my book buying or my library borrowings ... I make a definite effort not to let it take over.

That said I love it ... love the ease of download and the lightness and the lack of eye strain reading on it & I love the way you can see the % read moving along and I love being able to change font size & style.

What do I dislike ... I miss the book covers and the solidity of holding a book but against that it's a lot easier on the arm than holding a heavy hard back book. I also miss the chapter layout and print style of a conventional book.
Every books looks the same on the Kindle.

All in all, while I don't believe it will replace conventional books for me I will definitely not be parting with it. :D
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

I have a nookcolor and original nook, and they have taken over my reading. I honestly prefer to read on the nookcolor over a true book and even the original nook. Its just so easy, I never lose my place, my children can't rip the pages, and I can buy books while sitting on my couch, which is excellent because I don't want to bring the kiddos into the book store. I can also get books that are only available as ebooks, as well as magazines.

So, I highly recommend an ereader, just do your homework and don't buy an off brand cheap one.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

BooksByEssie wrote:I have a nookcolor and original nook, and they have taken over my reading. I honestly prefer to read on the nookcolor over a true book and even the original nook. Its just so easy, I never lose my place, my children can't rip the pages, and I can buy books while sitting on my couch, which is excellent because I don't want to bring the kiddos into the book store. I can also get books that are only available as ebooks, as well as magazines.

So, I highly recommend an ereader, just do your homework and don't buy an off brand cheap one.
I don't have kids so my opinion probably counts for zilch but I think it's a pity not to bring your kids to bookstores & libraries. Certainly in Ireland many bookstores have lovely children's areas all bright & colorful & I always smile when I see little kids engrossed in a big story book. I also love when I go to my local library & you hear the hum of someone reading quietly to the kids in their section.
I guess it's nostalgia on my part.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

I don't bring the kiddos because my oldest is autistic and is really, really loud. She is also completely non-verbal and doesn't follow directions. One of her favorite past times is tearing pages in magazines (and books if she can get her hands on them). I bring my two year old quite often, but not both together. I guess I should be more specific so I don't sound like I'm trying to keep my kids from reading! :)
Fran wrote: I don't have kids so my opinion probably counts for zilch but I think it's a pity not to bring your kids to bookstores & libraries. Certainly in Ireland many bookstores have lovely children's areas all bright & colorful & I always smile when I see little kids engrossed in a big story book. I also love when I go to my local library & you hear the hum of someone reading quietly to the kids in their section.
I guess it's nostalgia on my part.
Stmarkspriest

Post by Stmarkspriest »

I have a kindle and still love going to bookstores and the library. I try to rotate through my readings, so if I read something on my kindle, once I'm finished, then I read a book-book. I also like that I can sync my kindle with my laptop, so if I'm at the office, I can read while I eat lunch.
Euphoriameantime

Post by Euphoriameantime »

I couldn't do it. I love the smell of a book. I'm always flipping the pages over and over smelling them. Old books, new books. Maybe I'm just weird! :)
Teesie

Post by Teesie »

Euphoriameantime wrote:I couldn't do it. I love the smell of a book. I'm always flipping the pages over and over smelling them. Old books, new books. Maybe I'm just weird! :)
Yay!!! I'm not alone in my weirdness!!! Haha! Well, even though I prefer a paper book, I do have the Kindle for PC app, but I only use it for free ebooks. LOL! If there's one thing I'm better at than reading it's finding a bargain, and if you throw something like FREE BOOKS at me well, you better watch out! Needless to say my laptop if full of ebooks now! :D
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one.
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

You should keep in mind that on the ereaders there are thousands of cheaper independently published books. Some of them are very good. (of course some aren't, but not everything that gets published traditionally is good either). I review the ones I read for eFiction Magazine, so if you want a recommendation you can check it out. I also post the reviews on my blog. Efiction is also available on Kindle. :)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I cant see myself owning one anytime soon as i need a new phone more, but maybe my cynicism may fade away as they become more popular but for now im more than happy with the traditional paperback, paper covers, illustrations and all :D
You only live once.....so live!
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Euphoriameantime wrote:I couldn't do it. I love the smell of a book. I'm always flipping the pages over and over smelling them. Old books, new books. Maybe I'm just weird! :)

Ever just crack a book open in the middle and bury you nose in it? It's the little things like that that puts a smile on your face.

If you're ever in New York City and want a really fantastic smell go to the New York Public Library old paper and ink it's as nice as smelling roses. :D
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Euphoriameantime

Post by Euphoriameantime »

Tip the Bottle wrote:

Ever just crack a book open in the middle and bury you nose in it? It's the little things like that that puts a smile on your face.

If you're ever in New York City and want a really fantastic smell go to the New York Public Library old paper and ink it's as nice as smelling roses. :D
It's funny you should say that! I love going to the Old Toronto Public Library for just that reason.

I think you've just hatched a new dream for me. Traveling and smelling libraries.

Next time you check a book out, perhaps you should think about all the weirdos out there who have been sticking their noses in it and sniffing. So, so good. So, so happy!
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Euphoriameantime wrote:
Tip the Bottle wrote:

It's funny you should say that! I love going to the Old Toronto Public Library for just that reason.

I think you've just hatched a new dream for me. Traveling and smelling libraries.

Next time you check a book out, perhaps you should think about all the weirdos out there who have been sticking their noses in it and sniffing. So, so good. So, so happy!
Wow....ewww...now the next time I smell a book I'm going to think about that.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Kchirgwi

Post by Kchirgwi »

I know it is strange, the way a book smells, or how the pages feel, makes reading much more than just reading. These are small gestures, but with out them, would mean missing out on something large.

So, for kids who grow up with kindles, what would they feel is missing if they did not have their kindle?

I can't say, it would not, be like the comfort of a book, because it just so could. But, what kind of a comfort? Does a kindle excite the senses? The sense of smell and touch? I can't say.

A kindle, however, offers efficiency and time. Which some, may give up the enjoyment of the senses, for those two previous commodities.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”