Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 10 Jan 2017, 22:07

Henrietta Howel is a school teacher at a girl’s school until her best friend, Rook gets attacked by a monster known as an Ancient. Using her flames to drive off the attacker, a visiting sorcerer named Agrippa sees her power and convinces her to join him and the other sorcerers in a fight against the Ancients. While struggling to become a sorcerer she finds out that she is actually something far more dangerous. With the help of a secret mentor, she is able to master her power as a sorcerer as well as master her secret abilities.

The story is set in Victorian England but based in a world filled with magical creatures both good and bad. The plot was a bit predictable but there were some surprising twists. There is some romantic tension between Henrietta and two other characters but it was mostly PG-13 rated. There are also a few gory scenes of the monsters attacking England and the fight scenes between the sorcerers and monsters were a bit violent.Overall, I would give the book a 4 out of 4 stars.
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading: Curtsies and Conspiracies
Bookshelf Size: 18 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Post Number:#2 by Mannie913
» 20 Feb 2017, 20:02

This is on my order list! It sounds so good and right up my ally but I need to finish the other 5 series I'm currently in before jumping into another one!
Mannie913

Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 57 books
Reading Device: Kindle Voyage
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 34%