Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Henrietta Howel is a school teacher at a girl’s school until her best friend, Rook gets attacked by a monster known as an Ancient. Using her flames to drive off the attacker, a visiting sorcerer named Agrippa sees her power and convinces her to join him and the other sorcerers in a fight against the Ancients. While struggling to become a sorcerer she finds out that she is actually something far more dangerous. With the help of a secret mentor, she is able to master her power as a sorcerer as well as master her secret abilities.

The story is set in Victorian England but based in a world filled with magical creatures both good and bad. The plot was a bit predictable but there were some surprising twists. There is some romantic tension between Henrietta and two other characters but it was mostly PG-13 rated. There are also a few gory scenes of the monsters attacking England and the fight scenes between the sorcerers and monsters were a bit violent.Overall, I would give the book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

This is on my order list! It sounds so good and right up my ally but I need to finish the other 5 series I'm currently in before jumping into another one!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”