Official Review: Prague: My Long Journey Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Prague: My Long Journey Home

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prague: My Long Journey Home" by Charles Ota Heller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s value in reading about events in history from different perspectives. The more countries, cultures, and races of people there are involved, then the more sides there are from which to view those events. In his memoir, Prague: My Long Journey Home, author Charles Ota Heller tells a story of World War II, the Holocaust, and immigration to the United States from his unique perspective.

Yet, it might be somewhat limiting to indicate that the perspective is the author’s alone. In the book, Heller gives a rather extensive and insightful layout of history concerning his native country of Czechoslovakia. (The country has since split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia, or the Slovak Republic.) The author also includes many important details of his family’s history.

Hence, one doesn’t only get the sense of reading the story of the author, the man born Ota Karel Heller. One also gets the sense of reading the story of his family, his country, and the WWII experiences of the Jewish people and families of mixed religions. In the Preface, the author conveys how crucial it is for him to share his account; before too long, there will be no more eyewitnesses or people with firsthand knowledge of the Holocaust.

Admittedly, I’m not a reader of many memoirs, but this one pulled me in much like a literary novel. Chapter One begins with a gripping scene, and then the author goes on to paint a charming and rich picture of Kojetice, the village where he grew up right outside of Prague. The chapter opens in present tense as it sets the tone for the story, and the following switch into past tense is fitting and natural. It’s interesting to see how the author views conditions in his country, the initial ideas he has of America, and how his ideas shift the longer he lives in the U.S. Then, even with all of the historical material the author incorporates into the book, he doesn’t fail to bring his personal story full circle. In this way, he not only depicts his outward, international journey but also his inward journey as a person.

In the beginning, I found the reading a bit bumpy due to the awkward usage of commas. Also, as the author makes certain explanations more than once in the book, I wasn’t sure whether or not the repetition is intentional. Otherwise, I didn’t find anything that put a hitch in the flow of the reading.

This memoir is at once informative, layered, heartrending, and inspiring. Therefore, I give Prague: My Long Journey Home a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to readers of biographies and narrative nonfiction, as well as to fans of literary and historical fiction. More broadly, I believe that anyone who values remembering and learning from history can appreciate this book.

Prague: My Long Journey Home
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I really like your review! I come from Prague, so I welcome any books of this topic. This one sounds interesting- even though the dark events that the Jews went through are hard to read.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Moizajani
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moizajani.html

Post by Moizajani »

Sounds interesting. Thank you for the insightful review!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the great review!
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

karolinka wrote:I really like your review! I come from Prague, so I welcome any books of this topic. This one sounds interesting- even though the dark events that the Jews went through are hard to read.
Yes, books like this aren't light or easy reads, though I'd ultimately find it harder not to read some of them. I'd feel like I was being left in the dark. :techie-studyingbrown:

How interesting that you're from Prague! I appreciated how much of the city's and country's history the other included in the book, giving a wider scope to his individual experience.

-- Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:00 am --
Moizajani wrote:Sounds interesting. Thank you for the insightful review!
My pleasure. :)

-- Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 am --
AA1495 wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the great review!
You're welcome! I was fortunate to come across this one.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Yes, definitely not a light read, like you said, but a piece of history nevertheless. People must remember the atrocities that the Jews went through in the hands of the Nazis, so history doesn't repeat itself.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

karolinka wrote:Yes, definitely not a light read, like you said, but a piece of history nevertheless. People must remember the atrocities that the Jews went through in the hands of the Nazis, so history doesn't repeat itself.
I absolutely agree.
CDJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdj.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good

Post by CDJ »

This was a good review, I loved that you made reference to the fact that the author made historical references (which I love books that do that). I also like that you mentioned the rich picture the author painted of his town, it makes me want to jump in and read it. Another interesting point you made regarding the book is that it appears to span a few years,which is always good for me when reading. I think I may add this to my reading list. Thanks again for the great review
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

CDJ wrote:This was a good review, I loved that you made reference to the fact that the author made historical references (which I love books that do that). I also like that you mentioned the rich picture the author painted of his town, it makes me want to jump in and read it. Another interesting point you made regarding the book is that it appears to span a few years,which is always good for me when reading. I think I may add this to my reading list. Thanks again for the great review
Oh, you're welcome--I'm glad you find it interesting!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I'm not one that is in to memoirs but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

ebeth wrote:I'm not one that is in to memoirs but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
Oh, you're welcome. I'm not a big memoir reader either. I might read one, maybe two a year. :D
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Great work on the review but this does not seem like my kind of book. Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”