Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jacob »

Yes,

I believe that Marijuana should be legalized... I don't go much on Tabaco and all that other stuff. But I am really, really interested in Marijuana legalizing.. Alcohol is worse, so why don't we ban that?
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

the fight about drugs is useless

as long as they don't commit crimes to get their drugs I say let them be.... it's a waste of public funds
CashJames
Favorite Author: Leo Tolstoy
fav_author_id: 2780

Post by CashJames »

“If you want to understand a society, take a good look at the drugs it uses. And what can this tell you about American culture? Well, look at the drugs we use. Except for pharmaceutical poison, there are essentially only two drugs that Western civilization tolerates: Caffeine from Monday to Friday to energize you enough to make you a productive member of society, and alcohol from Friday to Monday to keep you too stupid to figure out the prison that you are living in.”
― Bill Hicks
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

I have never used Marijuana, and I don't like it and generally don't like the people that use it, and I have serious doubts about the justification the term "medical marijuana" is used for. All the same, I also do not see the benefit of turning the trade over to the street criminals again, as they are proposing to do here in California. The "sketchies," as my kids call them, have dwindled in number here since the advent of the quote unquote medical marijuana.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I dont use that stuff, never have. I tried a joint when I was about 18 and got sicker than a dog. Maybe they should legalize pot, it might solve some of the problems if they made it easily accesable, like buying cigarettes or liquor but hard drugs like heroin cocaine stuff like that they should never legalize. Ive had friends and family members killed by that crap.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

One other benefit of legalization is that they can dampen down the hard edges of the drug. Apparently, sometimes the street stuff is mixed in with dangerous chemicals. I agree with you about the harder drugs not being legalized, however.
alexhenry
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexhenry.html
Latest Review: "Butcher Boat" by Frederick Fichman

Post by alexhenry »

If the govt.'s intention is to "protect people from themselves" then they ought to illegalize tobacco, alcohol and doughnuts. However these things appear to be favorites of their supporters.
Latest Review: "Butcher Boat" by Frederick Fichman
bizworldusa12

Post by bizworldusa12 »

This is stupid law by the government.
If the drugs are legal then many people use it publicly and another people like mostly students addicted to this.

Thank you
kara_pifer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kara-pifer.html

Post by kara_pifer »

Everyone has there own choice on what they do and why specially with drugs. But the fact of the matter is especially when it come to marijuana, its never gonna be legalized because the government makes more money off of it while its illegal then if it were legal. Yeah true they could take it, but if u were the government would u be wanting the little bit of money u get off of the taxes or would u rather make around 20 grand of a 20 dollar bag of weed. Because when a cop arrests someone for possession that person has to pay for bail, and pat for a lawyer and god knows what else so they are making more off of drugs by keeping them illegal then they would if they were legal. So sorry to u pot heads out there the government isn't ever gonna make it legal
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

That drugs should be legalized because alcohol is legal is a non sequitur.

The amount of consumption and places for consumption can be regulated and enforced because over-consumption is relatively easy to determine. Therefore, when a person becomes a menace because of his level of consumption, law enforcement is able to do something about it.

That is not so much the case with drugs. They can be imbibed without the same level of notice. Users become public nuisances without an opportunity for enforcement.
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

socialsue wrote:I am from Holland and my opinion should then not surprise anymore. I am for legalisation.

It is not only the drug that is doing all the damage. It is the criminal atmosphere around it. If it is difficult to get some marijuana and you need to find dealers to get a little bit of herbal stimulants, it is only a small step further to other criminal activities. Since you are then already in touch with the wrong people, in an uncontrolled environment and more, it is not unlikely that you slip further away.

Another argument: WHY IS ALCOHOL LEGAL?
Alcohol is legal, and can be bought anywhere. Does anyone know how many families are ruined by alcohol? It also has way more worse effects in man than marijuana. Alcohol creates angry people that fight and kill. Marihuana doesn't. How many drunk drivers are there out on the street every night, because it is legal to buy alcohol? When using marijuana, you still can control yourself and remember. Drunks do not even remember what they did the night before. That is a waste of life!

In my opinion alcohol is way more damaging than marijuana. But everybody is totally ok with drinking a beer or a glass of wine. Then what is the big deal about Marijuana?

Ask your smart government!
(APPLAUSE) Very Well said!!! I have said these same things so many times!!
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
Artistic

Post by Artistic »

Most people when intoxicated can do virtually anything. Legalizing drugs would mean they could become available to be sold over the counter at your local drugstore. Everyone would have access to them. Imagine what this would do to kids who know no better than doing drugs is cool since celebrities do it all the time. Imagine being driven through town by a stoned taxi driver.

Imagine being treated by a physician who's hallucinating that you've got spiders on your face. . .

Pretty bad, huh?
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

When you put the kids in it makes since not to legalize it. But then again it has been around along time that's where being a parent and teaching your children that it is not okay
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

It is ridiculous, weed should have been legal a long time ago. Seems to me they could make more revenue taxing that than busting people for it. The government just realizes they wouldn't be able to regulate it, if someone wants to grow their own, the government wouldn't be getting any $$$ out of it. Alcohol and tobacco are responsible for illness, accidents and death and are quite legal...does that make sense?

I'm not talking about stuff like crack or heroin, just weed...recreationally and responsibly weed doesn't lead to reefer madness...just ask Willie Nelson :D
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

Artistic wrote:Most people when intoxicated can do virtually anything. Legalizing drugs would mean they could become available to be sold over the counter at your local drugstore. Everyone would have access to them. Imagine what this would do to kids who know no better than doing drugs is cool since celebrities do it all the time. Imagine being driven through town by a stoned taxi driver.

Imagine being treated by a physician who's hallucinating that you've got spiders on your face. . .

Pretty bad, huh?
See what is confusing me about your post, is why you think it would be legal to be high and driving or working. It's not legal to drink and do those things, so why would anyone make it legal to smoke marijuana and work. While it is conceivable that your examples might happen, they wouldn't actually be anymore likely to happen if marijuana was available for recreational use by adults than they are now. Contrary to popular belief, just because a thing is easily available does not mean "everyone" will use it. I like to think in my happier moments that the majority of people have enough common sense to know that taking drugs while they work or control heavy machinery is a bad idea, not because of the (or any) long term health effects or because "DRUGS ARE BAD" but because for all recreational drugs, the stated intention when using them is to alter your mental state. I would like to think that most people realise that you should be in your best physical and mental state while working.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”