Sookie Stackhouse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Melaniep wrote:Here's my opinion on Anna Paquin. She is great as Sookie in True Blood. But she's not right for Sookie in the novels. I mentioned before that I like both the show and the book series as separate entities. I watched the show before I started reading the books. As soon as I started reading them, I had completely different pictures in my mind of each character. When I read the books, I don't picture Sookie as Anna Paquin or Eric as Alexander Skarsgard.

Not sure if that makes any sense to anybody but me... lol!
I actually absolutely agree with you! You put it very nicely. :wink:
None of the characters i see on the show are the same way i see them in the books. I just find it interesting to see who other people see as each character. I think the closest to book/show characters are Sam and Alcide. Both of those i think were picked perfectly, but that's my opinion.
Last edited by laci_baby on 12 Jan 2011, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

laci_baby wrote:I think the closest to book/show characters are Sam and Alcide. Both of those i think were picked perfectly, but that's my opinion.
I actually considered using Sam as an example of one character who fit both! Also, Lafayette!
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

Melaniep wrote:
laci_baby wrote:I think the closest to book/show characters are Sam and Alcide. Both of those i think were picked perfectly, but that's my opinion.
I actually considered using Sam as an example of one character who fit both! Also, Lafayette!
Absolutely! Lafayette was roled so perfectly! I love him!

While i'm at it... I found a site where you can read Charlaine Harris ( and other authors) books for free! Check it out:

http://www.freevampirebooks.net/search. ... 3269163748 %3A483qpmedsfj&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=charlaine+harriss&siteurl=www .freevampirebooks.net%2F#1293
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Annaintheworks

Post by Annaintheworks »

Hi, I had the same thing with Lost. Completely confused, gave up.

Still like looking at Sawyer, though! Maybe he should have played Eric! (I will cast this man in something and if it kills me.)

I didn’t really picture Sookie like A.P., either. Maybe that’s why I can’t get into the series. Don’t think she’s a bad actor, though.
Agree about Sam.
When I saw the first episode of the show I was impressed how true to the book it was. And then it just wandered off onto a completely different path.
Still trying to get back into the show (giving series 3 a go at the moment) but I find that some things are just a bot boring - like the king.
And - and here I think is the snag - I just don't like the look of Bill! I like that she gets over him in the books. So maybe I'd enjoy the series more, if Sookie let go of Bill like she should.
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

I agree.. i can't stand Bill. He just annoys me for some reason. He doesn't fit the role at all in my opinion, but i don't like book or show version of him. Bill could have been non existent and i would be alright with it, but then we wouldn't have the books/show we love so i guess we have to lose one to gain one, right?
Shanskies

Post by Shanskies »

All I can say about this is "Thanks you Charlene Harris".

I have been a Vampiric story fan for a while now and The Sookie Stackhouse Novels have captivated my imagination, along with the show. However the HBO series is very different from the plot in the books it is still wonderful.

Highly Recommended!
Rockinroller

Post by Rockinroller »

laci_baby wrote:Woot woot! For all you sookie slaves (Or Eric Slave imo):
The eleventh installment, Dead Reckoning, has been given the release (of course) of May 3rd 2011. You can now preorder it! AH! I'm all excited and stuff! She's killing me making me wait for all of the books! Anyone else?
Please let there be more Trubies out there! :(
There are a lot of truebies out there! :P
I fell in love with the series before I read the books (and honestly, the books were a little disappointing at first, but they opened up all these new things that the show didn't so that kind of made up for it). So now I'm a real True Blood junkie.

Also you gotta feel a little national pride over Eric (Alexander Skarsgård). I'm glad that he is the face of Sweden the rest of the world gets to see...

I still have a hard time with Anna Paquin though, like annaintheworks said above. She doesn't feel like Sookie. Also, there is something with her face (forgive me, I mean no offense) that just doesn't work well with me. I can't get into her facial expressions even if she's pretty.

And yes, Bill's character is annoying. I joined Team Eric a long time ago and am proud of it (nerd alert 8) !)
Annaintheworks

Post by Annaintheworks »

Hi guys - any feedback on the other Charlaine Harris series yet? I enjoyed Shakespeare's Landlord but wondering what others thought.
Looking forward to the new Sookie book, of course.
Might re-read (audiobooks, so re-listen?) to the old ones in the meantime.

Go Team Eric!
Bug

Post by Bug »

Pob75 wrote:hello, i am new to this site and glad i found it, i LOVE TRUE BLOOD and bought books 1-10 as a set BUT i am only on book 1 and struggling as although you say it doesn't run with the show so far the first book seems to be doing exactly that.
should i perservere? i have all these lovely books waiting to be read but i just can't get motivated

thank you

the first two books are kinda identical to the show but the others are very different so far but there is a few things in the first two that arent in the show and reading the others without reading the first two would be confusing.

i love the books and cannot wait til the next comes out.
SydneyMckloven

Post by SydneyMckloven »

Im an Eric fan all the way! The books are much different than the series both can be enjoyed but i think as different things
Wulaishiwo2

Post by Wulaishiwo2 »

There is no doubt of that it is really wonderful.I I definatly reccomend it!
Annaintheworks

Post by Annaintheworks »

Hi - Who's read Dead Reckoning yet? What do you all think?

potential spoilers...

Certainly sounds like it might not be the last one yet, which is nice. Do you think she should find a new man in the next installment or should she get (back) together with Eric, Bill, Sam? Or even Quinn?
mayme

Post by mayme »

Team Eric ALWAYS :)
I have been a TrueBlood lover for a long time now and i hav to agree with a few of u on the issue of characters (from TV show) not fitting the decription and general personality of the book characters, disappointing but not a hurdel i cant jump, makes reading the books a little more personal for everyone as the characters become there own.

I am very excited to see what more charlaine harris can do for us in her new books coming out 2012 and 2013 :) HAPPY DAYS
A_dinky_camel

Post by A_dinky_camel »

the books are good, although the variance can be a little high. The TV show is a lot like a painting inspired by the books but painted in tar, blood, and human waste. They are both good but in very different ways.
Texansfan

Post by Texansfan »

I am so glad to see the excellent Sookie discussion! I love the books and the show and applaud the TV show creators for straying from the books. I think it works in some cases to stay true to the books (Game of Thrones) but in this case some of the best characters on the show are different from the book (case in point Lafayette who is killed off early on in the books but is a VERY fun character on the shows).

That said, I prefer the books though a few of the installments were a little boring. I suggested the series to several friends and I believe all who sampled Sookie were extremely pleased they had. Oh, and I am really and Eric fan, yummmmm

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”