The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chloesays
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chloesays »

I actually met Markus Zusak today at a literary festival!

I saw a synopsis of the book on wikipedia (I know, I'm horrible), and it makes me want to read it!
texascat

Post by texascat »

Great book, one of my favourite books recently read. i thought it was an original book that made me really think for ages afterwards. I couldnt wait to lend it to friends so i could talk about it.
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING book. It is a little hard to get into but after awhile it is AMAZING. I recomend this book a hundred times over!!!!
therewaseden

Post by therewaseden »

thanks so much for all these reviews, it sounds great - I will check it out!
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

I have made two attempts at reading this book. Both have failed. I'm an avid reader, and feel perplexed that I can't get past the first few chapters. I think I feel a little patronised by the narrator. Having read Mort by Terry Pratchett, perhaps I keep expecting the narrator to crack me up.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Considering most of you have given it good reviews, I'm going to request it from the library. Thanks for your help!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Shakeelah

Post by Shakeelah »

Easily one of the best books I have read in a long time. What really sold it for me was the play between the major and minor characters. And how nothing is insignificant. Every last detail has been well thought out.

Honestly, it's as close to flawless as you can get. A refreshing viewpoint of a WWII Germany and the effects it had on the common German. I find it hard to believe that Zusak is as young as he is, yet he can write with such insight.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

This book is AMAZING. I love love love books, all books, and this one is in my top 5. That is REALLY saying something for me. I've read more of Markus Zusak's work...I had to, after The Book Thief. I Am the Messenger is great too, but I think The Book Thief is one of a kind. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Although there are many references to this book by Forum members, I can't find a dedicated thread.
You may like to read my thoughts on the subject - and post your own comments.
(Note: Contains short quotes from various chapters but no plot spoilers).

“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak is a superb book or a depressing read depending on how I felt when I picked it up. The concept of fantasy and WWII Nazi occupation in Germany is a clever one because who better to narrate this harrowing tale than ever-present Death himself.

Liesel Meminger is an absorbing creation, like a candle in the dark, she moves through a grim world which Zusak barely needs to describe because I have vivid images already in my mind from other sources. This doesn’t make it any the less graphic, emotionally torturous or twisted rather like Max “his body felt like it was being screwed up into a ball.”

Young Liesel finds a book in the snow and it's her first act of book thievery. There are moments of humour although any joy is quickly dismantled. There is a Liesel moment I interpreted as joy which is both subtle and understated until I remembered comparison text earlier in the book:

The Next Temptation, page 489, “This time there were biscuits. But they were stale. They were Kipferl left over from Christmas and they’d been sitting on the desk for at least two weeks. Like miniature horse-shoes with a layer of icing sugar, the ones on the bottom were bolted to the plate. The rest were piled on top, forming a chewy mound. She could already smell them when her fingers tightened on the window ledge. The room tasted like sugar and dough and thousands of pages.”

Then earlier in The Flag, page 13, “Within minutes, mounds of concrete and earth were stacked up and piled. The streets were ruptured veins. Blood streamed till it was dried on the road and the bodies were stuck there, like driftwood after the flood. They were glued down, every last one of them.” At least Liesel gets to share the biscuits with her friend Rudy.

The Duden Dictionary and Death’s entries are almost tiny stories in themselves. And there are chapters I can’t read without tears. I get the feeling many Jewish family memories have been poured into this book as a tribute. On pages 299-300, Zusak writes almost biographically “Originally Max had intended to write his own story. The idea was to write about everything that had happened to him – all that had lead him to a Himmel Street basement – but it was not what came out. Max’s exile produced something else entirely. It was a collection of random thoughts and he chose to embrace them. They felt true.”

I would recommend “The Book Thief” to people of strong, determined constitutions because this book will linger on your mind. Zusak reinforces the fact that it was a truly terrible time in human history and that both good and bad elements of human nature are never defeated until Death arrives. As Death said “Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.” However, I do think the opposite of that is true.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

As ever Maud you do a brilliant review. Loved this book & I'm so glad you too found chapters you couldn't read without tears ... I cried buckets over this book & I have read many a Holocaust themed book.
As you say The Book Thief is one of those books that once read will linger in the mind long after the book has been returned to the library.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Its in my top ten favourite books of all time. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I agree with Fran. I could not improve on your commentary for T he Book Thief. It's been a while since I read it and it's one of my favorite books. Others in that vein are Mila 18 and QBVII by Leon Uris. Sarah's Key is another one to bring tears to your eyes and makes you wonder about man's inhumanity to man.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Geneen Karstens wrote:I agree with Fran. I could not improve on your commentary for T he Book Thief. It's been a while since I read it and it's one of my favorite books. Others in that vein are Mila 18 and QBVII by Leon Uris. Sarah's Key is another one to bring tears to your eyes and makes you wonder about man's inhumanity to man.
Have you read The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell? IMO a brilliant if disturbing read.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Fran wrote:
Geneen Karstens wrote:I agree with Fran. I could not improve on your commentary for T he Book Thief. It's been a while since I read it and it's one of my favorite books. Others in that vein are Mila 18 and QBVII by Leon Uris. Sarah's Key is another one to bring tears to your eyes and makes you wonder about man's inhumanity to man.
Have you read The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell? IMO a brilliant if disturbing read.

No I haven't but i'm putting it on my list to read. Thanks.
Hannellene

Post by Hannellene »

Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”