Spam folder

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Spam folder

Post by Bighuey »

Why have my webmaster e mail notifications started going into my spam folder?
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Sometimes if you enter the email address (e.g. this one) into your Contact address book, it will be recognised as a valid sender. Perhaps the Forum subject headings have been changed and deemed as suspicious.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ill try that. It hasnt done it for a couple days now. Might have been just a glitch. Thanks, Maud.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Did they all go into the spam folder or just some of them?

Who is your email service provider?

There are many factors that can cause this to occur, some of which can be fixed at the server level (i.e. by me) and others which cannot.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Scott wrote:Did they all go into the spam folder or just some of them?

Who is your email service provider?

There are many factors that can cause this to occur, some of which can be fixed at the server level (i.e. by me) and others which cannot.
About half of them were going into spam and my service is Yahoo. But it hasnt done for a day or two, it may be ok now.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I seem to be having the same problem as Bighuey. All of my notifications are also going into spam. I have a google email address. Really frustrating.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Is there no way for you to tell the Google software that it is not spam? My email client has adaptive controls, so if I mark a message as not spam it remembers for future use. Also, I can set up more specific controls.

The problem may be the amount of spambots that have previously registered with fictional email addresses or whose email accounts are no longer valid or have full mailboxes. The big clients like Google and Yahoo use the percentage of emails that bounce as an indicator of spam. So if the forum sends out a big batch of emails over to Yahoo and, for a hypothetical example, most of them go to email addresses that don't exist, have been unactive for a long time or have full mailboxes then Yahoo may mark ALL the forum's emails as spam. I have been working on this for some time, by creating a script that automatically processes bounces and deactivates and eventually deletes members whose email addresses bounce. However, depending on how forgiving these automated systems are, they may still hold previous bounces against the forum. In any case, it could be a lot worse. It is possible to get blacklisted for too many bounces, which would mean the email wouldn't even show up in your spam folder! :O Anyway, if you do try to see if there is an easy way to mark any one of the emails as 'not spam' in your client, and if so see if that causes future emails to not be put in your spam box and then see if that helps.

Alternatively, if you know how to check the full source code of the email with headers, you can send that to me (privately! for your own sake) and I can contact the server with it and see if they can give me any more information.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I did as Maud suggested and added the forums email address to my contacts and I also transferred the emails from spam to the inbox and that worked for a while. Then it did it again. So I transferred them again...it straightened out and for the past couple of months things have been fine. It's impossible to communicate with Google. I've tried forty ways from Sunday and there's just no way. If I don't get the emails when I think I should, I just go to Spam. At least they aren't totally lost.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”