Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Tolevsky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric Tolevsky »

Love this thread! I was going to state my humble opinion, but I will default to Stephan Kingman's reply and end with a piece of Fran's post(slight changes).

The ease with which so called intelligent human beings can be manipulated has been shown over and over again and we don't need to look too far to see how society is controlled by totalitarian forces.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

That is so true, I saw on a Brazilian website that the U S wants to make it harder and more expensive to get a passport. They want the address of every place you have lived in from the time you were born, and if your mother had prenatal care when you were born, the dr. name who delivered you and every job you have ever had and the names of your immediate supervisors. My brother in law is going through the same thing to get a passport for one of his kids so I know this is for real. The pigf----- want to control your movements and want you to stay where they can keep an eye on you. Theres even rumors of putting location chips in newborn babies like they do with sex maniacs and dogs. I think that is why gas is so expensive so you cant travel very far. The SOB's want you right under their thumb so they can screw with you and run your life. And who knows what those gps things they have in all the new cars are hooked up to? Maybe to some super-computer of Big Brothers. Theres even stories of how the new digital tv's have cameras in them to watch your movements. Thats probably BS but you never know. 1984 is closer than we think. I guess Ive ranted long enough, Im probably all wet and I hope I am. I better shut up or the Men In Black will be knocking at my door.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:That is so true, I saw on a Brazilian website that the U S wants to make it harder and more expensive to get a passport. They want the address of every place you have lived in from the time you were born, and if your mother had prenatal care when you were born, the dr. name who delivered you and every job you have ever had and the names of your immediate supervisors. My brother in law is going through the same thing to get a passport for one of his kids so I know this is for real. The pigf----- want to control your movements and want you to stay where they can keep an eye on you. Theres even rumors of putting location chips in newborn babies like they do with sex maniacs and dogs. I think that is why gas is so expensive so you cant travel very far. The SOB's want you right under their thumb so they can screw with you and run your life. And who knows what those gps things they have in all the new cars are hooked up to? Maybe to some super-computer of Big Brothers. Theres even stories of how the new digital tv's have cameras in them to watch your movements. Thats probably BS but you never know. 1984 is closer than we think. I guess Ive ranted long enough, Im probably all wet and I hope I am. I better shut up or the Men In Black will be knocking at my door.
I'd be more worried about the ones in the white coats ...
:lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Fran wrote:
Bighuey wrote:That is so true, I saw on a Brazilian website that the U S wants to make it harder and more expensive to get a passport. They want the address of every place you have lived in from the time you were born, and if your mother had prenatal care when you were born, the dr. name who delivered you and every job you have ever had and the names of your immediate supervisors. My brother in law is going through the same thing to get a passport for one of his kids so I know this is for real. The pigf----- want to control your movements and want you to stay where they can keep an eye on you. Theres even rumors of putting location chips in newborn babies like they do with sex maniacs and dogs. I think that is why gas is so expensive so you cant travel very far. The SOB's want you right under their thumb so they can screw with you and run your life. And who knows what those gps things they have in all the new cars are hooked up to? Maybe to some super-computer of Big Brothers. Theres even stories of how the new digital tv's have cameras in them to watch your movements. Thats probably BS but you never know. 1984 is closer than we think. I guess Ive ranted long enough, Im probably all wet and I hope I am. I better shut up or the Men In Black will be knocking at my door.
Damn! Not again, they just let me out. :lol:
Fran

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:
Fran wrote:
Damn! Not again, they just let me out. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Nothinginexcess

Post by Nothinginexcess »

Fran, my suspicion is that any generation that manages to be well-fed and warm in winter sins of being apolitical or at least very ignorant of the real evils in their political system. The examples are countless, but just think about how western society tolerated slavery and the displacement of aboriginal people in America and the tolerance for colonialism and imperialism over the centuries. Remember that the average IQ is 100. Most people don't go past the here and now and rely completely on their parents, pastor, their holy book and their politicians of choice for their opinions.
Kris0

Post by Kris0 »

I dont mean to cause an argument, but if the average IQ is 100, then half of people are over that, and half are under (roughly). Did you mean that it 100 means an unremarkable, normal human? Just for clarification.
Nothinginexcess

Post by Nothinginexcess »

Kris0, i meant to say most people with IQs either a bit above or below 100, have no inclination or ability to see past the smoke screens hiding the real causes of their suffering and of the real nature of what they do. Very bright people are the real chess players satisfying their vanity and greed. I'm not of the opinion that being smarter makes you better. I think it just makes you more accountable for your behavior.
Rinalj09

Post by Rinalj09 »

What 1984 warns us of is the inherent power of government. When there isn't a system of checks and balances (even when there is one) the government has a power that has no paralleled equivalent. As some of you have mentioned, the news of the world scandal reminded you of this book, but the Patriot Act is closer to the theme of government control in 1984. When a government assumes the authority to break into someone's house without a warrant there really isn't much else they can't do; the saying 'where does one draw the line' doesn't apply here, for that line has already been crossed.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Rinalj09 wrote:What 1984 warns us of is the inherent power of government. When there isn't a system of checks and balances (even when there is one) the government has a power that has no paralleled equivalent. As some of you have mentioned, the news of the world scandal reminded you of this book, but the Patriot Act is closer to the theme of government control in 1984. When a government assumes the authority to break into someone's house without a warrant there really isn't much else they can't do; the saying 'where does one draw the line' doesn't apply here, for that line has already been crossed.
Agree ... everytime I hear someone say 'well if you doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear' I always think of Orwell & 1984. It is indeed a book that should serve as a warning against the complacency inherent in all of us.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I heard they are going to or already have passed a law in Indiana where the police can break into your home and arrest you without a warrent.
Eric Tolevsky

Post by Eric Tolevsky »

To be informed, terrified and depressed or apolitical, stupid and happy? Is that the question?

It is not so bad here inside this whale
Fran

Post by Fran »

Eric Tolevsky wrote:To be informed, terrified and depressed or apolitical, stupid and happy? Is that the question?

It is not so bad here inside this whale

Might just join you there ... we'd could have a whale of a time :lol: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
TheMadHatter

Post by TheMadHatter »

I think we are nearing something like the society depicted in 1984. Like you said, the iPad and interactive television bear a resemblance to the telescreen from the book, and the USA PATRIOT Act gives the police a lot of unnecessary power, not to mention blatantly violates the Fourth Amendment.

With political correctness, it seems that we can now get in trouble for even THINKING certain things and expressing our opinions, which reminds me a lot of the idea of thought crime. And, just last week I was at the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ and the national anthem started playing, and I noticed how almost everyone instantly stopped what they were doing, took their hats off and put their hands to their chests. What the f*ck is that about?! It really bothers me how people just roll over on command like that, kind of like how the people of Oceania's blind patriotism for "Big Brother".

And, get this, the government is now beginning to implement RFID (Radio-frequency identification) technology into nearly all aspects of our lives, such as work, school, and even our homes. It's a technology that is used to track whatever it's put in, including clothing (Wal-Mart has been putting these RFID tags in their clothes since at least August 2010) and humans are now volunteering to have them put into themselves and their kids, in the name of "safety".

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive heard stories like that, too about putting location chips in people. The goverment is slowly taking control of everyone and we are slowly losing our freedoms. I heard last week that they raided the Gibson Guitar Co. because they were not using goverment approved wood in their guitars. Im glad I live in Mexico, they are screwed up with the drug wars and stuff but at least they are not so petty about everything else. At least here you can build a shed or re roof your house without having a bunch of inspectors making sure you are using the right kind of nails and paint and charging a fortune for permits to even paint your house. They are also trying to get something through where you will need govt. approval to sell your house. 1984 is here.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”