Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Simworm
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Simworm »

I picked up Twilight at the end of last year at a clearance book shop for $5. I wasn't too interested in the series but thought I'd buy it since it was so cheap and to see what the hype was about. I read it and after that first read, I LOVED it. I read the whole series including the Bree Tanner novella a few times and continued to love the idea of having a fantasy love and saw it as a good book that helped me escape reality. I finally got out of the twilight bubble and started reading other books and now that I look back I really can't see what I got myself worked up about. I like the ideas Stephenie Meyer offers such as Fantasy love versus reality love but I feel it was just very very messy. Also, I started reading some Classic books such as Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights - which Meyer apparently loosely based her books upon - I feel that perhaps she straight out copied them, put them into her own words, turned the characters into mythical creatures and called it Twilight. There are some things I still like about the series but definetly can see how overrated it all is.

I've only read the first Harry Potter book quite recently and am yet to read the rest but I agree that HP and Twilight definetly cannot be compared, they're so different.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I couldn't stand Jane Eyre or Wuthering heights, they just struck me as a bunch of melodramatic riff raff, and the fact that Stephanie Meyer based her books on these really doesn't surprise me. It just goes to show that the woman can't even come up with her own idea, let alone a good one, in addition to her abysmal writing.
Seregil

Post by Seregil »

I prefer Harry Potter.
Harry Potter series are some of my favorite books of all time. I've only read the first part of Twilight and I didn't like it. The characters aren't interesting enough for me to read the rest of the series.
Kdor11

Post by Kdor11 »

I did not read any of the Harry Potter books but did see the first movie (only last summer :o ). I didn't mind it but I wasn't really excited about it either, so it did nothing to inspire me to read the books.
I wasn't very interested in seeing the first Twilight movie actually but a friend said it was great. So I watched it. After it was over I was so angry that I wasted two hours of my time that I would never get back!! I was so unhappy with the movie that I decided I would not read the books. Last summer my cousin gave me a copy of Twilight and it sat on my shelf for months before I decided to give it a try. I was totally hooked. I even bought the rest of the series and plan on reading it again soon. Stephanie Meyers did a great job although I really disliked the last book.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

This whole discussion is preposterous. Several vampire books mysteriously similar in plot and characters appeared prior to Twilight, which begs the question of whether Meyer is a real artist, or simply a cog in the book writing machine. (Read Lucas Cumiford's May 22, 2010 blog on the Unnamed tab of his unnamed tales website). JK Rowling, on the other hand, is a scholar, story teller, and a great imagination. Twilight's popularity is limited mostly to teenage girls, whereas Harry Potter's appeal runs the gamut from Grandpa to second graders.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I'm shocked that the question as to whether or not Stephanie meyer is a real artist has been proposed, for, especially in light of pookysucker romance already being an established genre, Twilight was a success because it lacked any semblance of artistry.
EmmaRhiannon

Post by EmmaRhiannon »

Harry Potter & Twilight cannot at all be compared.

They're both so different yet brilliant in their own way/right.

Twilight is about vampires, humans and werewolves yet Harry Potter is about wizards & witches. I don't see the comparison?

Twilight, for me, was an unbelievably amazing series. From the moment I picked up the first book I'd fallen head over heels with the series. It's like a modern day Romeo & Juliet - they shouldn't be together yet they're so in love it's sickening. I adore the twists and turns that each book has and something else shocks you. Yet, It's predictable at the same time. (Not that It's a bad thing necessarily.)

Harry Potter was completely my childhood. I was captivated by the journey Harry, Hermionie & Ron went on. So many twists and shocks along the way made spellbinding reading and I adored every single second of it (the books and the films). It's a series of books that I can never tire of and re-read them countless times. I felt so emotional after watching the last film, even though I'd read the books so many times, it was definitely the end of an era for me, the last thread I had of my childhood. Nothing, for me, will ever compare to these books. I sincerely hope my children read these books (when I have them) and get as captivated as I did by Harry.

If I had to say my favourite series, without a doubt It'd be Harry Potter. J.K Rowling hit a winner there!
MaxDaniel

Post by MaxDaniel »

Twilight is more interesting than Harry Potter. So my vote goes to Twilight.
Eric Tolevsky

Post by Eric Tolevsky »

Not a huge fan of either, but HP is easily my favorite.
Stella

Post by Stella »

Harry Potter will always win my vote. I think it was the first novel I ever read. I love the depth of the world JKR has created.

Twilight and I have had a rocky relationship. In the beginning I was in love with the books and it made me want to punch every man I passed in the street and demand that he be more like Edward Cullen. But after the movies came out I completely lost interest. All the screaming fangirls ruined it for me. Oh, and I finally came to realise that Edward has some serious issues that he needs to resolve - the biggest being his stalker-ish tendencies. I don't know about you but the thought of someone climbing through my window and watching me sleep kind of creeps me out. Just sayin'.
Simworm

Post by Simworm »

Stella wrote:Twilight and I have had a rocky relationship. In the beginning I was in love with the books and it made me want to punch every man I passed in the street and demand that he be more like Edward Cullen. But after the movies came out I completely lost interest. All the screaming fangirls ruined it for me. Oh, and I finally came to realise that Edward has some serious issues that he needs to resolve - the biggest being his stalker-ish tendencies. I don't know about you but the thought of someone climbing through my window and watching me sleep kind of creeps me out. Just sayin'.
On the same page with you there! I was so in love with Edward for a while and then after being away from the books for a while I was thinking "hmm...he's a bit creepy actually"
"Oh, tis love that makes the world go round" - Lewis Carroll
Stella

Post by Stella »

Simworm wrote:
Stella wrote:Twilight and I have had a rocky relationship. In the beginning I was in love with the books and it made me want to punch every man I passed in the street and demand that he be more like Edward Cullen. But after the movies came out I completely lost interest. All the screaming fangirls ruined it for me. Oh, and I finally came to realise that Edward has some serious issues that he needs to resolve - the biggest being his stalker-ish tendencies. I don't know about you but the thought of someone climbing through my window and watching me sleep kind of creeps me out. Just sayin'.
On the same page with you there! I was so in love with Edward for a while and then after being away from the books for a while I was thinking "hmm...he's a bit creepy actually"
Yes! He needs to see a counsellor. He obviously has control issues. He needs to realise that there are in fact other ways to keep your girlfriend safe without resorting to kidnapping, stalking or ripping the wires out of her car to prevent escape. Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I hate Bella Swan. She may as well have ripped Jacob's heart out with her bare hands to save time. That would have hurt him less. That chick really ticks me off.
Simworm

Post by Simworm »

Stella wrote:
Simworm wrote:
Yes! He needs to see a counsellor. He obviously has control issues. He needs to realise that there are in fact other ways to keep your girlfriend safe without resorting to kidnapping, stalking or ripping the wires out of her car to prevent escape. Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I hate Bella Swan. She may as well have ripped Jacob's heart out with her bare hands to save time. That would have hurt him less. That chick really ticks me off.
Completely agree! When I finished the books I thought I understood how Bella could be the way she is but now thinking back I think Bella and Edward deserve each other... but I'm team Jacob, poor Jacob
"Oh, tis love that makes the world go round" - Lewis Carroll
Siddharth Kumar

Post by Siddharth Kumar »

I am team Jacob too...but eventually it ends well for Jake doesn't it..We should also think from Bella's point of view as to how confusing and complex the whole situation was to her and its not easy to handle it at her age... eventually ,what she did turned out to be the right thing..
But coming back to the main discussion,though Harry Potter and Twilight are based on fantasy worlds,they're different and cannot be compared as such... Each has its own good qualities and shortcomings...
Twilight is excellent when it comes to feelings and emotions. Stephanie Meyer has done an amazing job.The story is also fascinating.After reading it, I actually wished I'd run into vampires and 'werewolves' whenever i went into some creepy or forsaken place... :? ... Another point is ,it cannot be categorized as a book for girls..Its for both. Wouldn't guys like to know what goes on in a girl's mind? And there are so many action packed situations where its pure guy material.
Harry Potter on the other hand is genius when it comes to imagination. I mean,who could think of something like this and write seven,i repeat,SEVEN books about it..! yes,there are many who have pointed out loopholes,but its tough to maintain a finely threaded story when u have so much details. There are bound to be inconsistencies somewhere or the other,and anyways,it doesn't take away the magic from the book.... :-) .. The story was so invigorating and there were so many nail-biting instances,its tough to get away once started ..
altairslover
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-altairslover.html

Post by altairslover »

I grew up reading Harry Potter so I might be a little biased. I absolutely loved the series and everything about it. Rowling created a world that is so unique and amazing. I went to the midnight release of the last few books at Barnes&Noble. I fell in love with the magical world she created.

I too picked up Twilight on a whim. I didn't really know what it was about but I was interested to find out. I read all four books in a week. I loved it, but it didn't really compare to Harry Potter.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”