the picture of dorian gray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megz_hayes
Bookshelf Size: 0

the picture of dorian gray

Post by Megz_hayes »

Hi
im a new member on here and thought id ask for the general opinion on 'the picture of dorian gray' by Oscar Wilde?
Im only a few chapters in but finding it difficult to maintain concentration and interest so is it worth the struggle of carrying on??
Lola82

Post by Lola82 »

Hi, welcome!

It took me a few tries to get into the novel too. I finished it and have since reread it a few times. It is definitely worth it. It's such an amazing novel. I think it's definitely worth the trek through it. It does get easier.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I agree with Lola82. You may have to read it a couple of times (it is only a short book) but it is very rewarding. Fantastic book, Wilde shows what amazing imagination and beautiful style he has.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
MandyMe

Post by MandyMe »

I also agree that The Picture of Dorian Gray was a great book. It really forces one to think on their actions and imagine what their portrait might look like.

Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors. If you like satiric works written in a scintillating tone then he is the author for you. I greatly enjoyed An Ideal Husband and his fairy tale, The Happy Prince.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

It's a fine work, and you may see it in light of the film version from the 1940s.
samsmum

Post by samsmum »

I have always wanted to read this ... had several copies and ended up 'lending' them and not getting them back :)
shall search the charity shop shelves with earnest this weekend :)
SPReader16
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spreader16.html

Post by SPReader16 »

This is my all time favorite book. I have recommended it to a few people who were not fans of it, so it might depend on your taste. I tend to read a lot of classics and historical literature. If you are looking for casual reading this might be a little heavy, but it is short enough to read in one sitting.
KingPhillip

Post by KingPhillip »

I read this book, it was a good read
Lillian Martin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lillian-martin.html
Reading Device: B00PVD57F4

Post by Lillian Martin »

Oh my goodness, this has got to be one of my favorite books ever. I currently have one copy where I just highlight all my favorite quotes. Put your favorite one from this book down in the thread and I'll highlight them and write your username next to it!
KarlaE89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlae89.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KarlaE89 »

Oh my goodness! I LOVE The Picture of Dorian Gray. I am so glad you posted this conversation because I am constantly surprised at the underrated level of attention that this book gets. Maybe I am simply finding myself in the wrong social circles but I have often been met with incredulity when I attempt to share my love for this book. The fact that Dorian is able to live his life with seemingly no consequences is something I feel many people secretly (or overtly) desire. Who loves getting consequences for things they have done? I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I hate experiencing the negative repercussions of my actions. But as the book goes, Dorian falls further and further into depravity and yet somehow manages to avoid any negative repercussions. Even the basic side effect of life, aging, is avoided by Dorian. However, once you are done reading the book you do not feel as though Dorian has actually "gotten away" with living a life in darkness and depravity. In fact, I pity him and the final realization at the end that there is a cost to the choices we make. We may never personally experience those consequences- but others may. And sometimes that IS the consequence we have to live with: the fact that we do not always get to experience the negative repercussions that are thrust on others due to our decisions. And that can often be more difficult to live with than the alternative. In conclusion, it a great book and a quick read. I heavily recommend it!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

This is one of my favorite books! As Dorian falls further and further into depravity he looks into the portrait of himself and it's definitely no way you can miss the point, a mirror of his soul! Insanity and death the ultimate ending !! An excellent portrayal of the end of the road for a life of sin.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”