How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Terri2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terri2 »

Do you consider yourself a writer? How long have you been writing? What got you started?
MichaelBretHood

Post by MichaelBretHood »

I've been a writer for almost four years now. My first book, Outrage: We The People was published two years ago and received critical acclaim. I have also written over fifteen travel articles and short stories that have been published in newspapers and magazines in the US and England. Currently, I'm completing the edit of my latest work, tentatively titled Jericho's Walls.

As far as the title of the thread, bad television was the reason I got into writing. Other than Lost and South Park, is there any television program that is not a reality show and/or has an original idea?
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

I think most animated sitcoms have good writing, like the Simpsons and the Boondocks.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Do you consider yourself a writer?
Yes. Most definitely yes. Always.

As long as I can remember - or since I learned how to write. I remember in elementary school I was relentless when it came to writing books - especially because when you did you could "publish" it (it was just a nice cover and a spiral binding on it, but I thought it was amazing when I was little :lol:). I also remember in 5th grade when I was filling out this memories questionnaire the question was "What I want to be when I grow up" and I simply put: "To be an author" - simple but to the point. And dead on.

What got you started?
So many things. My lack of verbalness - I'm a quiet person, I think a lot and I observe much. I also think that reading had a lot to do with it. Plus writing seems more permanent to me. When I die my writings, journals, and what not will still live on. There are probably so many other reasons that I have not mentioned so ...yeah.
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

Do I consider myself a writer? Yes, it is part of who I am. Not all of me, but a part.

When did I start writing? I've always been writing. I've always been able to express myself best via the written word. I was always writing stories, plays and poetry when I was a kid.

What got me started? Hm... I think my overly reserved family while I was growing up. I had all these emotions, and I had to put them somewhere!
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Yes I'm a writer. I've been writing since I was 5. My overactive imagination is probably a big part of why I started writing.
sportsguy33

Post by sportsguy33 »

I'm a sportswriter for a newspaper, so I guess I do consider myself a writer. . . since, of course, it's in the name of my career field. :lol: I've been writing for years; ever since I developed a keen imagination. How I got started? I'd like to say it's all in the genes. My father had a knack for creativity and I seemed to have received the same creativity along the way as my life has prolonged.
genkav

Post by genkav »

been writing on and off for the pas 7 years, and now in school for creative writing. i guess everyone does it, but when i was young having to write stories for homework was awesome.
RichardG

Post by RichardG »

I have been writing occasionally for almost 4 years now.
katrinatienza

Post by katrinatienza »

Do you consider yourself a writer?
Absolutely.

Pretty much all my life. I started in grammar school with poems about Christmas and the Easter bunny ;) ... and as I was growing up so did my poems.

What got you started?
I don't really know, it's just in me. I've always had the inner urge to write and express myself in written form.
jackihal

Post by jackihal »

I am also a writer. I am writing when I was in class 5th.

The writing only depend on the standard of the writing which depend on the topic, age of the writer and many other reasons effect this.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

Before I was not comfortable calling myself a writer, even if my work is web writing, I'm still not comfortable with the name. I think I'll be a "real" writer if I won a writing award or writing degree or any writing contest. . .
mchelle

Post by mchelle »

I started writing when I was about 10 or 11 I think. I had read all the books in the library near our house and decided I would just have to start writing my own! I still haven't finished that novel, but I like writing a good bit :)
jingwen

Post by jingwen »

Sometimes i want to write something about my life,but due to the work,i have no time to do it.What a pity.
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

Yes, I consider myself a writer as that is how I make 70% of my income. Can't say what got me started, but I'm sure glad that I did start.

Return to “Writing Discussion”