Jasper Fforde Ffan

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Jasper Fforde Ffan

Post by Maud Fitch »

My one literary weakness is Jasper Fforde. I've just purchased his sixth book in the Thursday Next literary detective series “One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing”. If anyone has already read it, I’d love to view your comments. Or indeed any Ffordian comments!

I recommend reading "The Eyre Affair" first but to get the ball rolling I'll post my review of "The Well of Lost Plots".

How can you review a story within a story within a story? This book will always be my Ffordian ffavourite because whilst reading it I adjusted fully to Jasper Fforde’s use of characters both real and written and his out-there brand of story writing similar to Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett.

For me, this novel nicely ties in all previous Thursday Next books with the others which followed. I’m talking TN series as well as his Nursery Crimes novels. It sets the scene for more adventures to come, like a baby (both human and Dodo), Landen and Jack Spratt.

Plus there’s the whole book-jumping thing, and this is where my first comment comes in - Thursday Next goes into hiding in a poor quality book in the Well of Lost Plots and from there ventures into other genres, books like Wuthering Heights and Shadow the Sheepdog to induce a happy ending; she helps generic characters get character; battles nasty grammasites and a deadly mispeling vyrus; loses a dear friend and invokes the Great Panjandrum at a BookWorld awards night (such a clever parody of the Academy Awards) to rectify a huge problem with UltraWorld technology which is evily trying to take over the reading world as we know it. Parodies galore! All done by Thursday Next with a memory-addling mnemonomorph bug planted in her brain by Aornis Hades. Two burning questions are should she trust her fellow Outlanders? Or heed the Cheshire Cat when he makes guest appearances?

If all that is a bit confusing, click on this review:
http://www.scotsman.com/features/Interv ... jp?article page=1

I love the way Fforde weaves libraries into his stories and explains how we read using an Imagino Transference Device, e.g. our brain, to transfer squiggles on a page into a completely formed story. Another delight is the JurisTech Footnoterphone which interrupts your conversations by placing adverts and other people’s phone calls in your head. It annoys Thursday Next no end until she uses it to her advantage in the final chapters.

Quite a lot of adventurous exploits to digest in one book yet Fforde pulls it off with mind-bending simplicity. Recommended mainly for adult readers. Some literary knowledge helps to get the in-jokes (like the Danvers clones) but it's worth going along for the ride. And if you ever wanted to be in books, JurisFiction is recruiting now!

Speculative Fiction http://www.jasperfforde.com/
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Its funny that I am calling myself a Fforde fan when I am only 3/4 of the way through "The Eyre Affair", which is the first FForde novel I have ever read. I think I became a fan after only reading the first chapter. I am a big Douglas Adams fan and FFordes writing style is very similar. His humour is very subtle but is found in just about every page. His characters, especially his villians are brilliant. "Archeron Hades", the main antagonist is superb. I really hope that he will be a constant thorn in Thursday's side in books to come. Oh sorry, Thursday is the first name of the hero of the book. Jasper has this thing with the names of his characters, some are easy to spot(Jack Schitt, Paige Turner) while others have you stretching the old grey matter. He also likes to change the worlds history. In "The Eyre Affair", the Crimean War is still going on and the Charge of the light brigade is made in armoured personnel carriers intead of horses. Massive airships have become the common form of transport. I must admit that I think that his style will not be for everybody, but if you love books like "Hitchhikers", there is a very good chance that you will love Jasper as well.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Hey Maud, I am up to chapter 24 “The Eyre Affair” and loving every sentence. I think what makes it so good for me is the subtle humour that invades just about every page. Can't wait to finish it and order the next one. Thanks for the tip with the names, I think my favourite would have to be Jack Schitt. hahaha I can't stop smiling every time I hear that name.
Maud wrote:My pleasure, Gannon, I am sooooo very glad you are enjoying it!!!!! I'm confident you will have no trouble getting into its nuances and subtleties. Some people think the story is wacky and give up. Of course, they are the type who love blood and guts! I can honestly say I'm hooked and have read all Jasper's books, even the YA "The Last Dragonslayer".
Gannon wrote: "The Eyre Affair" is definitely wacky. I can see how some people would give up. I think his style would not suit everybody. I mean I think he is the type of author who would have a cult following. I don't think he is going to write any general mainstream bestsellers. For me I would gladly jump in with the cult followers. "The Eyre Affair" is the most enjoyable novel I have read in a long time, I was pretty much hooked from the first chapter. I will finish it tonight and then we can discuss it on your Fforde post. I am so tempted to get signed first editions for all of his Thursday Next novels. Oh well will have to see how the budget is holding up.

Hey Maud I have finished "The Eyre Affair". Loved it, loved everything about it, ending was good. Please please tell me that Hades is not dead. I absolutely love his character, surely he can't be dead. Can't wait to get the next one.
Thrilled to receive that JFF alert in my Inbox!! Thank you, Gannon, it made my day!!

And you review is brilliant. It nicely encapsulates the storyline. And Jasper elaborates more fully on the storyline as the books progress. Save up and buy the next book!! Now, come on, Gannon, in all seriousness, do you really want me to tell you about Hades?? Do you want me to post Spoilers?? Suffice to say, <creepy echo> wait and see.....

I think you’re right about the Douglas Adams comparison. He has been compared to Monty Python, Kurt Vonnegut, Terry Pratchett and Lewis Carroll but I think that’s worthy of debate. I like the fact that the whole things revolves around Thursday Next and, to use a common analogy, she is like Harry Potter in that sense; the sturdy vehicle which travels across the bumpy terrain.

Okay, one favourite scene, one favourite line: Chapter 17 “SpecOps 17 Suckers & Biters” (cos I love Spike) vampire parody “Thoon be over,” Frampton grinned. He had sprouted an inordinately long single front tooth which grew over his bottom lip and gave him a lisp.”Thoon you will be joining Thpike for a little thnack. After I have finithed!” Apologies to vampire lovers but he does get written off by Spike.

And yours? Any special bits which made you laugh out loud?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

I guess your are right. Don't tell me about Hades. Its just that I love him so much he just can't be dead can he? Is he dead? No no don't tell me. There are so many bits in the book which made me laugh that I should have made a list. One bit that sticks in my mind is when Thursday is booking into the hotel and they can't find her reservation and the guy is saying Milton, Milton, Milton, Milton, nope its not here. Then she asks him to look again and he says "Oh here it is, sombody had put it in with the Milton's by accident. hahaha. I love how her Dad keeps popping in for a visit all the time and saying "Hope I am not interrupting anything". I love her uncle as well with all his wacky inventions. Also the "Earthcrossers" waiting to catch meteorites in their baseball gloves. lol.
Here is someting I wanted to ask you in the table of contents there is a chapter 13 THE CHURCH AT CAPEL-Y-FFIN. This chapter does not exist in the book. Is there something I am missing here. Is there a joke that is sailing over my head? Has he left chapter 13 out like some hotels don't have a 13th floor. Is it a bad luck thing. Please help me with this Maud, its got me baffled. Lastly please tell me if Hades is dead. No don't tell me I will find out with the next books. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I guess your are right. Don't tell me about Hades. Its just that I love him so much he just can't be dead can he? Is he dead?

Here is something I wanted to ask you in the table of contents there is a chapter 13 THE CHURCH AT CAPEL-Y-FFIN. This chapter does not exist in the book. Is there something I am missing here. Is there a joke that is sailing over my head? Has he left chapter 13 out like some hotels don't have a 13th floor. Is it a bad luck thing? Please help me with this Maud, its got me baffled. :)
Oh, Gannon, you always make me laugh!!! Of course, in the nicest possible way. I really enjoy reading your posts. Do you write yourself?

Now, there’s the thing, Acheron Hades.....no, can’t do it.....

Uncle Mycroft is quite a character, isn’t he, with those peculiar inventions. And I always got a chuckle out of the Very Irreverend Joffy Next. It is VERY difficult not to let too much slip because the stories unfold over the following books and there is so much crammed into my mind, I have to stop it from overflowing onto the keyboard.

Now as you rightly deduced, there is no Chapter 13. The Church At Capel-y-Ffin is a place in the Black Mountains in South Wales UK, not far from Hay-on-Wye where Jasper Fforde lives. The name means 'the boundary chapel' near the Anglo-Welsh border. The official explanation as to why it’s listed on the Contents page is, and I quote, "... don't know for sure, but I suspect the word 'boojumed' to be relevant here". A Boojum is a mythical Snark beast created by Lewis Carroll in his poem "The Hunting Of The Snark". Therefore, we could go with your highly plausible superstition theory or shake our heads and say it’s just a bit of silliness.

In later books, “The Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco” is listed as a book in TN series then crossed out. It’s relevance is explained in the new Book 6 I am reading – and it’s one of those extra-hard Quiz questions I have mentioned on other posts!

Now, getting back to Acheron Hades, I can say.....no, I can’t.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Thank you very much for the lovely comments Maud. I really enjoy reading your posts as well. As to whether I write or not, I would really love to. I don't know whether I have the ability. I have had an idea for a while about a murder novel set in ancient Rome.
Thank you for helping me with the "missing chapter". Your explanation is so interesting. Having read the book now I am not surprised that Fford would do something like that. I think it adds to the books appeal. Its like even after you have finished the book you can look for things and find more "Stuff". I did not notice the missing chapter until after I had finished the book.
I don't think Hades is dead. He can't be. If he is, I really hope there is another villian who is as good to replace him. I can't wait to get the second book.
I would like to ask what you think of his other books, other than his Thursday Next novels. Do you like them as much as the TN novels? I think I will collect them as well.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:As to whether I write or not, I would really love to. I don't know whether I have the ability. I have had an idea for a while about a murder novel set in ancient Rome.

I don't think Hades is dead. He can't be. If he is, I really hope there is another villian who is as good to replace him. I can't wait to get the second book.

I would like to ask what you think of his other books, other than his Thursday Next novels. Do you like them as much as the TN novels? I think I will collect them as well.
Gannon, with your background knowledge, I think you could write a Roman murder mystery. With all the intrigue, assassinations, lust and corruption in ancient Rome it would be a shoe-in. Rough out your ideas. Get a draft going. Work on them over a period of months. I'm not a fan of mind maps but they can help chart your progress. Keep it fresh in your mind, tinker with it and before you know it, a story will take shape.

Okay, I'll break down. Under such constant pressure, and your genuine concern, I have to admit that Acheron Hades - wait for it - does make an appearance in "Lost In A Good Book". And another baddie, Emperor Zhark, eventually enters subsequent TN books, too.

So far there's only two books in the Nursery Crime series, and unanimously according to my friends, they are the best in Fforde's repertoire. "The Big Over Easy" is Mickey Spillane/Humphrey Bogart/FBI/Columbo style with Detective Jack Spratt. It's riddled with adult nursery rhyme crimes and the suspicious death of Humpty Dumpty.

The second one is "The Fourth Bear" loosely based on Goldilocks with a bizarre twist and also starring Detective Jack Spratt. Of course, there's more to it than that. This is the book which launched him into the public gaze in Australia. It was the first book I actually purchased!

"Shades Of Grey" is a stand-alone book (except my pet theory was that there would be a second book because the ending is wide open) and not to everyone's taste. It did take me some time to warm to it. The imagery was subdued, the world of Eddie Russett is restrictive and depressing because visual colour is tightly controlled and his love interest never quite takes off although Jane Grey is a feisty woman. The mysteries are solved, heavily reliant on spoons. Don't ask!

And the final two are YA "The Last Dragonslayer", very clever and 'Merlin-type' magical and endearing, and "One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing" which has some great moments and very memorable chapters; and now that I've finished it, I particularly love the ending - perfect!

There are many authors one can read and re-read but I find Jasper Fforde more so. He weaves literature so deeply into the narrative that it takes a while to realise until a "hey I know what that it" moment hits me.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. It's your turn now.....
Last edited by Maud Fitch on 18 Apr 2011, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

WHHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO, best news I have had all week(well it is only Monday). I knew he was not dead. If I was not so sick with this flu I would be jumping up and down, what the hell I just might..................Bad idea I only managed one jump and am now wheezing and finding it hard to breath. This Zhark dude sounds very interesting as well.
Fantastic advice thanks Maud. You know what I may as well. If I am enjoying writing it then that is the main thing. It would not matter if it took years to write as long as it is fun doing it. My resource material is all here, I have a mini library just of Rome books, and in this day and age there is the net. Will let you know how I am gettin along. :)
You make all of Jasper's other books sound so good as well. I wish I could just order all of them and just go through them all in order. However one thing at a time I will order them one at a time and give them the time they deserve. I even want to read "The Eyre Affair" again because I am sure there would be little things that I missed.
The Nursery Crime books sound brilliant more to add to the list.
"Suspicious death of Humpty Dumpty". lol :)
It is such a joy these days to find an author that you really really love. Reading "The Eyre Affair" to me felt very much like "Hitchhikers" the first time I read it. Pure joy. Do you think that they would ever make a movie of one of his novels. I must say that I don't think the prospects are great. I don't think that the big movie firms could be sure about their profit margins and butts on seats. It would help if some big name actors who were fans jumped on board, but that does not always work either(Battlefield Earth - John Travolta bad bad movie)
Anyway my chicken noodle soup is ready and I am ready for my nap, so I will say goodbye till next time and thanks for the fish. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:WHHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO, best news I have had all week(well it is only Monday). I knew he was not dead. If I was not so sick with this flu I would be jumping up and down, what the hell I just might......
Now, now, don’t go over-exerting yourself, Gannon. Thank goodness you only have the flu and it’s not your ticker. In future, I think I will be very careful when giving you good news about villains! Hope you’ve been to the doctor. I know there’s not much they can do but don’t let it settle on your lungs. There’s a lot of respiratory bugs lurking around, waiting to pounce this winter. Sorry, my bedside manner is rather lacking in sensitivity.....

Keep me posted on your future writing career. I’d make a great proof-reader!

Ever watchful of the book budget, I would suggest you could leap forward and purchase the two Nursery Crimes books because they can be devoured as a tasty pigeon pair.

You are so right regarding movies. As you know, Jasper Fforde was a cameraman/focus-puller. He worked on movies for years before he took the plunge and became a writer, so he more than anyone would know if his books could be made into movies yet he has never mentioned it, or at least as far as I know it’s never been a consideration. It would probably be fringe stuff, maybe privately financed, a cult movie, an acquired taste like French house music and Daft Punk.

Your chicken noodle soup sounds delicious. That reminds me, I forgot to mention that I had lunch on Sunday at the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. Nah, just kidding. Also, there’s a bistro in Sydney named after Pickwick the Dodo. True! It took its inspiration from Fforde’s books and has a Dodo logo and I think he sent them some memorabilia. Dodo logo, dodo logo, dodo logo, dodo logo <eyes cross>.

Take care, post when you feel up to it.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

That is amazing that there is a restaurant in Sydney named after Jasper's Dodo. That is great stuff. That was one of the things I forgot to tell you about that I enjoyed in the novel, the different versions of dodo's. I have forgotten what version Thursday has. You had me with the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, nah only kidding there is no way you could of made it back in time to write this post you can't fool me.
I might go to the Doctor's tomorrow to get some pain killers, it feels like I have broken ribs from coughing all the time. Ok thats the last time I go on about my flu.
I think you would make a perfect proof-reader. If I ever get it up and off the ground you got yourself a deal. I will even mention you in the acknowledgements.
Got my bank statement today and I am way over on my book budget so I am not going to be getting any signed first editions for at least a month. This will really test out my addiction.
The chicken noodle soup is only a packet mix. :(
Dodo logo dodo logo dodo logo try saying that really fast, its quite difficult.
I will take care, and I will continue to post because I CHOOSE TO POST (little seinfeld humour). :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I might go to the Doctor's tomorrow to get some pain killers, it feels like I have broken ribs from coughing all the time.
Laughter is the best medicine, so they say, but not with broken ribs. I think the flu is a sour old germ anyway. I'm pleased to read that you are being proactive with your health care. Just let me know what time you'll be out on the streets so I can have a Michael Jackson face mask at the ready. Er, it's for me, not you.....oops, my bedside manner is slipping again.....<lopsided grin>
Gannon wrote:I think you would make a perfect proof-reader. If I ever get it up and off the ground you got yourself a deal. I will even mention you in the acknowledgements.
Thank you, thank you, Gannon. I accept the job. And thank you for the compliment. I have read somewhere that an author was offering a bit part in one of his novels to fans, the winner was picked through a writing competition. Not sure of the format, whether it was name only or to actually write something for a chapter insert. Anyway, the acknowledgement suits me just fine!!!!!

Don't you hate those bank statements. I still get a paper one. I hope the packet chicken noodle soup isn't because you've gone over-book-budget and have to forgo meat and vegetables. <cheesy grin>

Love Seinfeld. Never quite understood why he pulled the plug. And on the subject of dodo's, Pickwick features throughout the six books and she is a well recognised character in her own right according to overseas sources.

(Computer still slow). Not many sleeps til Easter bunny.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Howdy Maud. I went to the doctors today and got some painkillers. The doctor said they were very strong and to only take two at once. I took two and it did not seem to do anything so I took a third. Holly Crap, Good Golly Miss Molly. I was floating with the fairie's. It was heaven to be able to breath without the pain. I felt so good I floated out to the the kitchen, made some chicken noodle soup(packet mix) and then floated up to the shop to buy some lemonade. Then I floated back home(getting strange looks from people passing me by(I put it down to the floating). However there was one strange person wearing one of the masks MJ used to wear. Strange stuff indeed.
On the subject of Seinfeld. I think he pulled the pin at just the right time. I was the biggest fan when they first came out and still love them. It is the type of show that you can watch over and over again regardless of which episode it is. I really find it hard to come up with a bad episode. I think Seinfeld is a comic genius. I love how he will have something happen in one episode and then it comes up again many episodes later. Like when his father thinks somebody has stolen his wallet at the doctor's, and then about three or four episodes later Jerry finds it down the back of his couch. Or the famous backward's episode which starts at the finish and ends at the beginning. Classic.
The chicken noodle soup is not a result of my budgeting but my laziness. Its the only thing that I can make quick, eat quick and get back to sleep, and sleep apparently is very important according to the Indian doctor I saw. It was like a seinfeld episode, I literally had to bite my tongue while he was saying(in an Indian accent) "Your sleep is very very important, very very important. You must sleep, you must." I laughed, but I think I disguised it enough with a cough. Anyway he was a very nice doctor.
On the serious side, I would be very interested to find out how you first got interested in Jasper FFord. Was it from friends, reviews, or were you walking past the bookshop and simply liked the cover.
Err, this is awkward, but really I think you should be told. I am really really sorry Maud but there is no easter bunny. I would think that someone as well read as you would know this. There are bunnies, for sure don't worry about that, they just don't have anything to do with easter, I am truly sorry. It was hard when I was told as well.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Err, this is awkward, but really I think you should be told. I am really really sorry Maud but there is no easter bunny.
<wail, wail, sob, wail, wail> Noooo, it cannot be.....there must be an Easter Bunny! He helps the little chicks bring the brightly coloured eggs into my garden and hids them under shrubs......it's a cruel, cruel thing to invent such a non-religious symbol and then snatch it away.....where will all that lovely moulded chocolate go.....I'm bereft.....<sniff>.

On a lighter note, I saw this guy floating down the street, talking with an Indian accent and chuckling. He was literally high and I would certainly like to know what was in his bottle of lemonade. Either that or I accidently tripped and fell down a rabbit hole.....<wail, wail, raaaabbit hole, bunnies.....<sob, sob>.

Seinfeld, to know him is to love him. What a comic genius. Yes, I've done my fair share of repeats of repeats of repeats. For some strange reason the Soup Nazi and Muffin Top episodes stick in my mind. Is it because I like food or the stories were particularly clever? I think Seinfeld invented intertextualality with his layered plots. And the acting, well, that's a whole different story, such great characters.

Now onto Jasper Fforde. I can honesly say up front that I didn't get any advice from family or friends. My saying used to be that only librarians have read his books. What happened (misty scene, flashback mode) was I was searching the library shelves for a suitable light-hearted book because I'd been retrenched and mysteriously found myself in the audio book section. After pushing some old folks with hearing aids aside, I plunged my hand straight out and grabbed the nearest audio book before I was hit with a walking stick. The narrator (and that walking stick) did a good job of snapping me out of my lethargy and I then rushed out to loan the second Thursday Next book. Then the Next and then the Next! I wrote him a letter and he has been the only author who has ever replied to me so I figured he was a bit of all right. The rest just followed on, I send him the occasional email (we share a love of libraries), however, I do not blog on his website. At the risk of now becoming boring, I think some of his paperback covers could be a bit better although his typefaced (font) name is unique and distinct for me on the shelf. Lordy, what a fan I am.....

Thanks heaps, Gannon, for putting me onto steampunk. I am sure Jasper Fforde likes it. On his map of BookWorld there is a section marked 'steampunk' in SF land. Would never have noticed it until you alerted me to the genre; thank you again.

Have you got any more Thursday Next books in the pipeline?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

HAHAHAHAHAHA Oh Maud thank you so much, your whole post was so funny it actually made me feel a little bit better, ah the power of laughter.
On a sad note, sorry about the Easter Bunny but it had to be done,like Seinfeld says, "LIKE A BANDAID, RIGHT OFF" I remember when I first discovered that Santa Claus was not real. My brother and I used to leave a note with a cookie and a drink of milk. Dad used to get up and eat the cookie and drink the milk so when it was gone in the morning obviously we thought it was Santa Claus. Anyway one night we had the idea to creep out in the middle of the night and sleep under the presents under the tree. Then it happened, horror out came Dad did his thing with the cookie and milk and went back to bed. We were shattered. I have not felt the same since. Ah well I have had a good three or four months to get over it now. :)
I was reading somewhere that there is going to be another series of Seinfeld, however it is the actors sitting around talking about the series and other thinks I spose. I think it was Larry Davids Idea. I hope it happens because it would still be funny. I love watching the bloopers, I love it when one of them loses it and just cannot go on.
NeeeewMannnnnnnn!
Now onto Jasper Fforde. I can honesly say up front that I didn't get any advice from family or friends. My saying used to be that only librarians have read his books. What happened (misty scene, flashback mode) was I was searching the library shelves for a suitable light-hearted book because I'd been retrenched and mysteriously found myself in the audio book section. After pushing some old folks with hearing aids aside, I plunged my hand straight out and grabbed the nearest audio book before I was hit with a walking stick. The narrator (and that walking stick) did a good job of snapping me out of my lethargy and I then rushed out to loan the second Thursday Next book. Then the Next and then the Next! I wrote him a letter and he has been the only author who has ever replied to me so I figured he was a bit of all right. The rest just followed on, I send him the occasional email (we share a love of libraries), however, I do not blog on his website. At the risk of now becoming boring, I think some of his paperback covers could be a bit better although his typefaced (font) name is unique and distinct for me on the shelf. Lordy, what a fan I am.....
:) hahaha :) I just can't stop thinking about you fighting the old ladies. That should be on a Seinfeld episode. Very very interesting Maud. I cannot believe that you correspond with Jasper Fford(you big name dropper you)
You are very welcome about the "Steampunk" tip. I actually started reading about it on the Abebooks website and the whole genre just appealed to me. I am trying to find one set in Ancient Rome rather than Victorian England. I don't think this would force it out of the genre. I think as long as its history with steam-powered machines and fantasy. I am going to try the Leviathan series first because I have read a couple of books on World War 1 just recently and it is fresh in my mind. Have you read "All quiet on the Western Front", I thougt it was very good.
With regards to Jasper Fford, of course I am going to get not just the second one but all of them. The next book I get is going to be the second in the stories. I wish I could read it right now but I am going to trim down my TBR. "Sister" just turned up after I had ordered it from England so long ago. I don't know if you have read my post or not but somehow it ended up in Barbados. I hope it had a good time there cause it was there for awhile.
Anyway thankyou very much for putting a big smile on my face with your post and I will catch up with you when you get out of the rabbit hole. Just a bit of advice stay away from the Red Queen.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Bilby: Endangered Australian marsupial. Bilbies (Macrotis Lagotis) are known as rabbit-eared bandicoots. They are a popular alternative to traditional chocolate Easter bunnies. Profits from the sale of chocolate Easter Bilbies are used to revegetate and preserve Bilby habitat and protect this fragile, shy creature from domestic animals and possible extinction.

Gannon, you’re very very funny, too. HaHaHaHa......Santa is what - oh no, I recover from one blow, just to receive another!! Well, <shrug> I always had my suspicions about Santa Claus but I didn’t know he was your Dad.....

Didn't they do a mock up reunion? Without Seinfeld himself? One of my favourite Seinfeld bloopers was from the episode where they are wandering around a carpark looking for their vehicle. Kramer actually hit his face on the boot of the car and split his lip. Impressively he carried on.

What an interesting concept, Roman Steampunk. It’s very possible. Why don’t you corner the market and get in first! I think the Leviathan series sounds great so I’ve marked it on my shopping list for the next time I visit my local library. Yes, I’ve read the notable “All Quiet On The Western Front” but unlike you, still young and recovering from the Great Christmas Reveal, I read it years ago. It may have been required reading for school but I’m not sure. Didn’t know your intriguing “Sister” story. I’ve received mail via Austria but never Barbados. You will have to read the book with an accent now, mon.

Delightful news. Soooo very glad you are ‘investing’ in Jasper Fforde. It’s a good bit of escapism and I find him one of the more likeable reads around. I was impressed to see on AbeBooks website that some of his books are selling for AU$440 plus. How does that work??

When you get a minute, check out the BOSS COMING panic button on Jasper Fforde’s website. It’s on the top right-hand side of the home page. I laughed when I first saw it – and used it once.

Name dropping time: <Wonderland> Johnny Depp said “hi” and I had a cuppa tea with him. He said to tell you the Red Queen turns up in Jasper Fforde’s second book.

Return to “Discuss Authors”