Review by Victory -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victory
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Review by Victory -- My Trip to Adele

Post by Victory »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele
My Trip to Adele is a fiction book set in three different locations, following three different stories one set in Marrakesh, one in Amman and one in Las Vegas. A common thread through all the stories is a British born singer Adele and her concert in Verona all three characters attempt to see, and how the lyrics relate to each one of them.

The story is about three different people: a woman who broke free from the chains of abusive husband, her struggle in courts and her deep, overprotective love for her son, a couple caught in the pangs of stale marriage and disappointment, trying to do one last thing to save it, and a man namely under the magic spell returning to Marrakesh after eight years in search of his long-lost love. They all discover that life is full of false expectations, dreams shattered by reality, about search for better life, yearning to escape the dark alleys of abuse, and misconceptions about religion.

You are immediately gripped by the book, and as the plot thickens, you devour it in just about a few hours. The characters are portrayed in s realistic way, with a lot of emotional baggage and issues to resolve, but likeable and well-described. I loved the way the writer switches from one story to another, keeping the reader on the path of the story. The endings are particularly well crafted, somewhat surprising and shocking carrying a strong message – you can set your goals but faith has something else in store. There are some wonderful passages describing the streets of Rome, Amman, Las Vegas and Marrakesh, where the beauty and charm of the mesmerizing city intermingles with the harsh reality. Being in Morocco several times, I was sucked into the culture and life there once again.

Although I liked Adele’s music as the focal point, I believe Adele’s lyrics in each chapter make the story somewhat soapy and cheesy. Including just one song in the end, summing up the feelings of all three characters, would have added more mystery.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the unique plot and how the three stories intertwine, making the tale intriguing and keeping the reader in suspense, but also because it is true to life and touches on serious issues: women being seen as men’s possession, partners taking each other for granted, women living in men’s world, everything we have all pondered over at a certain point in our lives. The book does not deserve only 2 stars as the storytelling is amazing and the descriptions of cultures and characters are lifelike. I would not give the book 4 out of 4 stars due to the grammar and spelling, the overly-formal and stiff language in casual situations. It needs editing and polishing up. Not only would the book appeal to Adele’s music fans, but also to anyone who enjoys simple but engrossing story and likes to read something realistic and different. I do not recommend the book to those who find following three different stories confusing, and like reading novels about love and romance with a happy-ending cliché.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Victory's review? Post a comment saying so!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Victory wrote:how the three stories intertwine
One of the problems I had with the book was how much Elias's story stood out from the rest. That of Nadia and Yaser had many similar themes which Elias's lacked, such as escape from the customs of society, bonds of religion, and so on. I wonder, did you feel differently? Was there something after all connecting Elias to Nadia and Yaser?
Victory

Post by Victory »

I quite agree with you that Elias's story stood out, but I was not bothered by that. Although it hasn't got much in common with other two stories, still it addresses the issue of women being exploited by parents, and consequently by men, so in a way it is connected to Nadia's tale, and also Yaser's - both talk about restless desire for something they don't have, and the void which cannot be filled. The connection was not really important. I enjoyed each separate story and loved the way they all ended.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm not a huge fan of Adele but this review makes the book sound more appealing than other reviews on this book. Would you say the errors bring the book down?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Victory

Post by Victory »

I'm also not a big fan of Adele, I know a couple of her songs, but the main point of the book isn't Adele's music at all. As much as enjoyed reading the book because of the unique plot, I was somewhat disappointed with awkward translation as well as errors in the use of English, spelling mistakes and inappropriate language, but I know that there are good and less good translations. I would have given the book better rating if it wasn't for that. I believe the book has potential and could become one of the bestsellers after good editing.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Interesting, I may read this next, knowing that Adele's music is not the "be all and end all" of the story.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Victory

Post by Victory »

Give it a go, it's worth reading. And if you don't like the parts with Adele's lyrics, you can always skip the last page of each chapter where the lyrics are.
Muhammad Tariq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muhammad Tariq »

I personally don't like adele but thwse reviews about the book are really fascinating and I will give it a read for sure..
Victory

Post by Victory »

As I've already said, the book is not about Adele, it has a unique plot and is most certainly a good read, so have a go.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”