Official Review: Merry Mariner by A.K.Girisam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Official Review: Merry Mariner by A.K.Girisam

Post by Guppy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Merry Mariner" by A.K.Girisam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Merry Mariner is a mostly autobiographical account of the author’s life as a marine engineer. It is a collection of short story format experiences sorted by life phase and event type. The themes of Indian folklore, movies and song are woven through the book as similes and context.

The story begins with the author’s engineering college days, where he describes his close friends the “Wild Bunch” with original similes like:

“He reminds you of a coiled spring; you never know which direction it will take off once you release it.”

Girisam and his friends spend their days skipping class to watch movies, and he discusses both the movies and relates people and stories in real life to those he has seen in these movies.

The book continues chronologically through his first experience as a junior engineer on a ship carrying iron ore. Girisam describes the ship’s parts by relating them to the Titanic and the actor’s positions in the same movie. He explains both his steep learning curve and the functional purpose of the ship parts he worked on in a concise and easy to follow manner. On this first ship he proves his worth through hard work and innovative solutions, which sets a pattern that results in his rise to chief engineer.

From this point the book changed from a chronological life phase structure to sections sorted by event type. Girisam writes about his family, close calls, triumphs, and random thoughts including his dreams. The close call section was my favourite part of the book; it describes emergencies like the engine room flooding, and the fixes he applied. I really liked how the bad guys, who were mostly cocky, know-it-all more senior engineers were proved wrong by Girisam’s reasoning and fixes.

Songs were just as influential as movies on Girisam. He writes of how he frustrates his wife by being too agreeable because of a song that he interpreted as proclaiming agreeableness is the ultimate expression of love. His “good guy personality” and how he views much of life is shaped by songs and the heroes of the musical movies he watched. His shower singing occasionally gets him into some hilarious situations!

The writing style is clipped and very concise with no unnecessary words. English is Girisam’s second language but you would never know if he hadn’t admitted it. The similes are beautiful and well thought out, and the tone is friendly and entertaining. His love of his family and friends is evident in the lengthy descriptions of them. His colleagues are described in minimal detail and their positions on the ship are given as their names. Though this works well when keeping track of the operational hierarchy of the ships it gets confusing in the close call section where the events aren’t chronological and dates and ship names aren’t given.

Plot wise the Merry Mariner is a fantastic adventure peppered with loosely and eventually completely unrelated tangents. For example, when describing his first day as a junior engineer he ends up describing karate and his (future) daughters getting ready in the morning. The structure of the book could be greatly improved with the addition of dates and ship names. The book lacks a conclusion, other than the conclusion of the very random last section. These plot and structural issues distract and confuse.

Overall the Merry Mariner is a delightful tale of mechanical adventure at sea and a memoir of a man who loves his family and friends immensely. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, let down only by the plot and structure issues.

Merry Mariner
View: on Bookshelves

Like Guppy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds intriguing especially how there are short stories about some of the author's adventures out on the sea!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Princekp
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Princekp »

I am a very selective reader and don't read much but I have read this book as I was curious by its name and preface. I must admit I loved it and even gifted it to my friends as well. It's a very pleasant book.
Mfurr
Currently Reading: Working for Bigfoot
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mfurr »

I completely agree with Guppy that the author could have closed it in a better way. Also ship's names and dates should have been written. However, In autobiographical books like this, publishers are always wary of libel suits and hence ask writers to change or remove names of places, people etc. My friend is publishing her book and they made her remove the names, dates etc. They even made her remove every part of name. So I guess I understand that.

But overall it's an amazing book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html

Post by Guppy »

Thanks for the kind words on my review everyone.

Mfurr sounds like a plausible reason to remove the names and dates. Good to hear that you and Princekp have already read the book, it certainly is full of wonderful high seas adventures.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't really my style of book. With the editing problems I don't think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”