Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by Shein30438 »

I have questioned it my entire life. I find it very difficult to believe in a God. Growing up I was not raised in a spiritual home, so it was never something that came natural to me. Even now, I my husband firmly believes in the Lord, yet I can not willingly let myself believe. Although I do not believe in a God, I am a firm believer in karma and that everything happens for a reason. Also, I do raise my children with the possibility of God in hopes it will make it easier for them to believe or in turn choose not to believe as they grow older and are able to make their own decisions.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Shein30438 wrote:I have questioned it my entire life. I find it very difficult to believe in a God. Growing up I was not raised in a spiritual home, so it was never something that came natural to me. Even now, I my husband firmly believes in the Lord, yet I can not willingly let myself believe. Although I do not believe in a God, I am a firm believer in karma and that everything happens for a reason. Also, I do raise my children with the possibility of God in hopes it will make it easier for them to believe or in turn choose not to believe as they grow older and are able to make their own decisions.
I love the fact that you are raising your children to believe in God because it is a sense of comfort. When you believe that your life is cared for by a higher power, it makes life more bearable. Also, the Bible encourages people to strive for kindness, love and purity. Those are great values that no matter what your beliefs, everyone should strive for.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

There has to be a God - no way all this world could have come into existence by itself. WAY too complex. I think your question is more along the lines of "what kind of God could allow all this suffering."
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I believe in God and have never questioned the existence of God. Unlike Haatim, who questioned God after the death of his sister, I seek God in my time of need.
Emily Gatillo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emily Gatillo »

Yes, I did. When I was younger, whenever I am really hurt or suffering, I ask where is that omnipotent being who created me? Are all these pain part of his plan for my life? Where is He when I need him the most? I always felt helpless. But later on, I realized all those downfalls were meant to happen to strengthen me and build be to be better person. Now, I no longer question him but I pray to him. I think being able to question the existence of God is part of maturity which each person must go through.
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I never questioned the reality of God, I just questioned whether I could trust Him. I always viewed God as a cruel jokester who would almost bless me and then rip all His blessings away and torture me. As I grew older, I realized my bad decisions were my mistakes and God, Jesus Christ, was leading me into maturity disciplining me while out of fellowship and blessing me while I was in fellowship. God is like a parent, He will punish and reward. Not for works, but for following his game plan and growing in grace and in the knowledge of His Son, Jesus Christ, Our Lord. For unbelievers, Christ died on the cross, so all sin would be judged, even the unbelievers. so that they freely could enjoy heaven by just a mustard seed of belief in Christ as a FREE GIFT. It has never been about works. God is a gracious God.
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

I believe that there is something "bigger" and wiser than us. But I also think that everyone has our own free will and should take responsibility for our actions. I think that blaming fate or God for global events or our bad luck is useless. Blaming others can comfort us for a while but eventually we have to take responsibility for our lives and take an action. I also think that if we focus on a thing (no matter if it´s "good or bad") and do it wholeheartedly something beyond us helps us to do it even better. And everything returns to us. This is too big topic to write about here. It´s more a book or an essay idea.

And, no I don´t question the existence of God because I think that something like that can do only person who has ever believed in God. And another philosophical observation: I think that religion is a matter of faith. If you truly believe in God then you have to believe that everything what happend has deeper meanig and therefore it should happend. No matter how sad, fainful or terrible it is. It is also interesting that "good" events support belief of God while "bad" events question God´s existence.
Nomad
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomad.html

Post by Nomad »

Well, many people from different backgrounds may have different answers to this question. this may be mainly due to their experiences in life or their social statuses. I myself, have never questioned the existence of God since i always understand that we humans are spirits and above all spirits, there exists a supernatural spirit and which to me is God.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I don't believe in any god and I can't question the existence of one now. When I was younger, my family and friends all believed and it was difficult to try to understand them. I recognize that religion is a comfort to others but I just don't need it. When I'm in a bad situation like Haatim, I just accept that nothing is certain in the world and any of us could die regardless of what we do. It can be hard for others to understand this point of view, but I definitely lack that "all men seek god" feeling and have all my life. We're all different people.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I have never questions the existence of God. I see evidence of him in everything around me. Even through the evil planted in our hearts by original sin, I see God's love a care for his creation.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Its interesting that people who question God the most are the ones who grew up surrounded by religion. Its as if children who grow up around religion will either grow sick and tired of it and become an atheist or become completely devoted to the religion.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

I, without a doubt, do not question His existence. As much as I was born as but, denounced Catholicism when I was thirteen years old; it was science that made me re-evaluate my faith in God which in turn, led me to the Islamic faith in '07. This is where I learned that, whatever happens in life, be it good or bad is either a lesson; a reminder or; a test intent on strengthening our faith and hope in the 'Almighty'. I mean, I lost both my parents; as well as a number of close friends and loved ones but, that never gave me a reason to hold a grudge with the 'Creator', for I know understand that experiences like death are vital to our soul's journey and evolution. Besides, why question something that is apparent and 'Omnipresent'.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Emily Gatillo wrote:Yes, I did. When I was younger, whenever I am really hurt or suffering, I ask where is that omnipotent being who created me? Are all these pain part of his plan for my life? Where is He when I need him the most? I always felt helpless. But later on, I realized all those downfalls were meant to happen to strengthen me and build be to be better person. Now, I no longer question him but I pray to him. I think being able to question the existence of God is part of maturity which each person must go through.
Yes that is correct! Everyone always doubt God when things aren't so great in their lives. They fail to realize that he never puts you in a situation he knows you can't handle and that the situation is a test to make them stronger.

jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

It is unfortunately to common to question the existence of God when things go wrong for people. But in my thinking, this questioning is something like questioning something I don't know very much about because I don't know very much about that something. I don't think that God is impressed with my questions about His existence. :D In fact, I relish the idea that the Creator has given me, a creature of His creation, the ability to doubt without condemning me for that ability. My faith in God is strong. :shock2:
imeldasiano50
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by imeldasiano50 »

When the world was created by God for 7 days , he was able to create the most wonderful universe for men to live in. Yes, I do believe of his existence because of every miseries in my life, I can always fell his presence. Believers like me who goes to church daily or even every Sunday their unceasing prayers and worship is always dedicated to him because of their belief of Gods' existence. When God the father sent his son to the world to save sins of men, he sacrificed even how hurt it was just to let his people know of his existence

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”