Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post by mariakavo88 »

I agree that good vs evil can often times become predictable; however as long as the book is written well and keeps me engaged I do not mind. With that being said I also like a surprise every now and than; however in the end I find myself wishing that good would prevail in the cases when it does not.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I agree that these books can become predictable. However, the twist and action between the beginning and end is what keeps me reading. On the other hand, the evil character can't be boring and one-dimensional. That completely ruins the book. I enjoy well developed characters that are realistic.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Eternal Bookworm
Currently Reading: Beautiful Distraction
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Eternal Bookworm »

I agree, the "Good vs. Evil" theme is common, but only because it works. You need each side to play off the other. If there was no evil side, the good side wouldn't be "good". They are good or evil based solely on comparison to their opposite. Plus, if there was no conflict between two sides, how would the storyline develop? Even when the ending is predictable, I love the good vs. evil theme. It gives the story balance.
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Post by Shein30438 »

I think good vs. evil is still a perfectly acceptable story. As long as the story can throw in twists and turns to make it interesting. I prefer when the story portrays characters that are good and bad at the same time. Where you can tell they are battling with themselves to be good, but in order to do good, they do some bad to get there. For example, if they are trying to find a killer and clear their name, they are fighting "bad guys" and hacking computers and stirring up trouble to do so.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I am of the opinion that good should prevail but it should be shown that evil is actually a perverted good....that is, that before there was evil there was good, like we usually hate people only after having loved them....I don't mind being able to predict the end of a book as long as their are twist and turns that I didn't expect before the end.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I think this book is clearly good vs evil but I think a lot of books strive to make it "one side vs the other" and we as reads sometimes assign the "good vs evil" onto different sides. Next time you do this, think about if it's really good vs evil or if it's you sympathizing with one side's goals over the other. I personally try not to think of this theme when reading so that I can enjoy trying to see both sides. I prefer books that really let me understand both sides.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Rebeccaej wrote:I set a challange for myself, in the novel I'm writing, to write a world entirely without malice, without rage, essentially without evil, and see how much conflict I could get out of a world where everybody is working from good intentions.

It turns out, quite a lot, and a lot is in moral gray areas or "blue and orange morality," that I find a lot more compelling than good vs evil.

Knowing that somebody is kind and loving, and watching them argue in favor of atrocities, for reasons you used to believe yourself--that just feels a lot more interesting to me than moral absolutes.
I commend the intention. I agree with the idea that despite the condition that everybody is trying to be good and working for the general welfare, we can still squeeze interesting conflicts because of individual differences and individual perception towards what is best.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
lamita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lamita »

It is indeed a good book.
It reminds us that world is full of good and evil, it is in our hand to choose the right one. Happiness is when unpredictable things turn out to be good.
KaylaA
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaa.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KaylaA »

Good vs. Evil is a popular theme and can easily be seen as one sided and that "good" should always win. I enjoy when good vs. evil is subjective and that one side is not completely evil or good, but can be either or, depending on your values. This brings in more dynamic characters and explains the reasons for their actions(most of the time).
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

The Good vs. Evil theme is definitely a widespread theme in many stories, but I actually really like it when it is expressed as more of a grey zone instead of black and white. East of Eden by John Steinbeck is one of my favorite books and the good vs. evil theme is strong in that book but moreso in the sense that people are multi dimensional and layered so you can't be purely good but you don't have to be evil.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Kdonegan91 wrote:I agree that these books can become predictable. However, the twist and action between the beginning and end is what keeps me reading. On the other hand, the evil character can't be boring and one-dimensional. That completely ruins the book. I enjoy well developed characters that are realistic.
I agree, I love a evil character who is developed and realistic...especially realistic. I hate seeing a villain who is just so...fictional. They are just so poorly created that there is no way they could ever exist in real life.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

CrescentMoon wrote:The Good vs. Evil theme is definitely a widespread theme in many stories, but I actually really like it when it is expressed as more of a grey zone instead of black and white. East of Eden by John Steinbeck is one of my favorite books and the good vs. evil theme is strong in that book but moreso in the sense that people are multi dimensional and layered so you can't be purely good but you don't have to be evil.
Yeah, multidimensional is really great for stories and sometimes it is nice for the good vs evil thing to get flipped on its head.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would love to read a book that isn't good vs evil. The theme would be two people both doing everything in their power to get what they want. The lines between whose good or whose evil would be blurred. Readers would just have to come up with their own opinions about who they prefer.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The whole good vs. evil thing has to be one of the most used topics. I don't know if I can think of a book where it is not used in some form or another though. Even with books that have simpler story lines could follow this topic by just having one of their characters act mean. This doesn't have to even be brought on in any supernatural form, even though it is in many cases. It is tough to say if I would prefer topics without this subject because like I said, I can't really think of an instance where it is not used in a book.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Abdullah Rana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdullah Rana »

I think title of this book is enough for popularity.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”