Official Review: The Asquinn Twins Come To FOREST lAKE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Asquinn Twins Come To FOREST lAKE

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Asquinn Twins Come To FOREST lAKE" by Grace Brooks.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes a big move to a new place can be fun. There are so many new things; a new school, new friends… and new enemies who are possessed by demons and out to destroy everything you ever cared about. This situation is a reality for the Asquinn twins in Grace Brooks’ The Asquinn Twins Come to Forest Lake. When their father, a minister, decides that God’s purpose for him is to move to a small community and preach, he packs his wife and four children with him. Martha and Martin Asquinn must learn to adjust to new situations, stand up against demons and keep their faith and love in God.

I was attracted to the book because of the endearing image of the smiling twins on the cover. I felt that the book would have an entertaining plot. It did not meet my expectations. The plot was rushed and it left many unanswered questions. There were also quite a few grammatical errors. I was convinced that I had the author’s rough draft. When I saw an insertion in the middle of the story asking for a correction to be made, I was even more convinced.

The plot was poorly done and I had a hard time staying interested in the story. There were chapters that ended abruptly and chapters that didn’t end when they should have. Also, there weren’t any proper transitions between the scenes. Every scene in the novel lacked substance because it barely served any point to the story. Sure… the scenes moved the story forward, but there was no character development and the conflict of the story was dull. Even though a demon possessed fourteen-year-old was the antagonist of the story, he was barely in the story. When he was present, he failed to do anything noteworthy that would capture a reader’s attention.

The characters were all one dimensional and flat. The author failed to provide any kind of information about the characters that would’ve given readers a sense of their personalities or traits. Also, there were parts in the story that bothered me. The story goes through multiple time skips and there is a moment where Martha and a friend are ten years old and in love with fourteen-year-old boys. Martha’s friend states, “I tingle all over when he’s anywhere near me. He is so good looking and commanding.” What ten-year-old speaks this way? In the book, there was a scene with children asking for each other’s hand in marriage and parents seriously agreeing to it. These children weren’t even fifteen yet.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It receives two stars because the author has a lot of content from the Bible in the story. Even though the basic plot and development of the story was lacking, she provided lessons on trusting and believing in God. The plot is uninteresting. The characters are flat. There were many grammatical errors and the book has some controversial moments. This book is listed as YA but I beg to differ. It most certainly isn’t for children because of some of the scenes. This book should be labeled, “Other Fiction.” I would recommend this story to Christians who might want a devotional in a book form. Besides that, I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

The Asquinn Twins Come To FOREST lAKE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thanks for your honest review. I don't think i'll be buying the book. I don't find myself interested in it.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Thanks for your honest review. I don't think i'll be buying the book. I don't find myself interested in it.
Thank you for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

It's too bad about the amount of grammatical errors and lack of plot. I don't think I'll be interested in reading this book. You did a great job on the review though.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

ZenaLei7 wrote:It's too bad about the amount of grammatical errors and lack of plot. I don't think I'll be interested in reading this book. You did a great job on the review though.
Thank you for reading! :D

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, honestly, this doesn't sound interesting to me at all. I'm sorry the book wasn't what you expected. Hopefully the author can make a few changes and improve this book all the way around. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:Well, honestly, this doesn't sound interesting to me at all. I'm sorry the book wasn't what you expected. Hopefully the author can make a few changes and improve this book all the way around. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading! :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”