Official Review: The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors" by RM Burgess.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors by RM Burgess is a well-thought-out science-fiction/fantasy novel. It is the sequel to The Empire of the Zon. In the first saga, we were introduced to the unique world called New Eartha, which consists of two prominent sets of people: The Sisterhood of the Zon and the barbarians. The former, fully populated by women after a mass extinction of men on their home planet forced them to immigrate to a new planet. The latter, native people of New Eartha composed of technologically deficient men and women. In this second book, due to a series of chance meetings and coincidences, we start to see the lines blur as some of these diverse inhabitants are forced to come together to fight a bigger and more dangerous enemy.

Personally, I would recommend reading the first novel in the series before you read this one because you will get a better understanding of the characters and only then can you fully appreciate the character development that occurs in this book. However, you could probably still enjoy this novel by itself, especially considering the author includes a brief summary of the first book in the beginning of this one. I found the synopsis helpful even though I have read the first novel. It never hurts to be able to refresh your memory on the last book’s important events.

The plot of this novel was certainly engaging and it had everything anyone could ever wish for. There was action, romance, fights, getaways, and even magic. Every aspect of this book is masterfully connected, even the minor characters or events that you think only serve as a distraction, turn out to be some of the biggest game changers. My favorite thing about this book, is that all the female characters are strong and independent. Even when they fall in love with men, they are not reduced to stereotypical swooning maidens. This novel shows that women can be fierce and independent without having to also lead a solitary life. Additionally, the author is very realistic about the benefits and the faults of both sets of communities. In no way is either society perfect.

After careful reflection, I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I did not give it the full four stars is because there were certain plot lines that I felt had little to no progression in this book. As a consequence, it felt like the author only introduced those plot lines for another novel.

This compelling book has a little bit of everything in it, therefore it would be an enjoyable read for anyone. I have previously compared the first novel of this series to The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin and The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors just solidifies my opinion about its resemblance. With the inclusion of magic and various so-called gods in this sequel, it is sure to appeal to fans of the famous series.

The Eclipse of the Zon - First Tremors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I heard of this book and I meant to add it to my shelf. I'm fascinated by the concept of a land of only women. How do they reproduce? Is it a happier place because there aren't any men? I'm also a huge fan of female warrior types.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thank you! Yeah this book is fascinating and the way the author explores the pros and cons of a society of only women is very interesting. Hope you read it and enjoy it. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am also intrigued with a society of women especially after a mass execution of men. It leaves me wondering why that happened. I might have to see about the first book in this series. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like a type of book that I would enjoy. The fact that it includes strong and independent female characters as well as an engaging plot makes me want to add this book to my reading list. Great review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I think I want to read the first book in the series before I move on to this one, just like you said. Great review
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I like novels that have strong minor characters who are important to the plot. An assembly cast is a nice change from one where the action centers primarily around a single protagonist. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”