Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by Jax14 »

The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Jax14 wrote:The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!
I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

kandscreeley wrote:
Jax14 wrote:The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!
I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.
I think there needs to be a distinction between (a) couples that the authors wants us to believe will be together for a significant amount of time (or "forever") after the book ends, and (b) couples that simply hookup after some initial attraction. (a) would arguably need quite some build up, while (b) does not so much, right?
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

bobRas wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
I think there needs to be a distinction between (a) couples that the authors wants us to believe will be together for a significant amount of time (or "forever") after the book ends, and (b) couples that simply hookup after some initial attraction. (a) would arguably need quite some build up, while (b) does not so much, right?
Yes, however, I have read books where there doesn't even seem to be attraction. The author doesn't even write in an attraction for scenario (b), and the couple is all of a sudden in the bedroom. It's just weird and awkward. For example, in Raven's Peak, if Mr. Cole had written them stopping in the middle of their road trip at a hotel just to have sex. I have seen that done even though there really was no indication of any "spark."
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html

Post by bobRas »

kandscreeley wrote:
bobRas wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
Yes, however, I have read books where there doesn't even seem to be attraction. The author doesn't even write in an attraction for scenario (b), and the couple is all of a sudden in the bedroom. It's just weird and awkward. For example, in Raven's Peak, if Mr. Cole had written them stopping in the middle of their road trip at a hotel just to have sex. I have seen that done even though there really was no indication of any "spark."
I'm not sure I understand correctly. I thought we were talking about romance and not sex? People have sex for plenty other reasons than attraction or romance or "spark", right? I mean, I agree that it would be weird and awkward for these characters in particular, but for others, I could imagine it. It depends on characterization.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I prefer no romance unless it fits well within the plot. This is hard to do. Authors too often throw in a flirtation or romance between the main characters. It sometimes takes away from the central plot, such as a mystery, thriller, or political intrigue.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

bookowlie wrote:I prefer no romance unless it fits well within the plot. This is hard to do. Authors too often throw in a flirtation or romance between the main characters. It sometimes takes away from the central plot, such as a mystery, thriller, or political intrigue.
I will admit that I hate when a romance destroys the plot. I love having romance in a story but not at the expense of the plot.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I LOVE the fact that there is no romance. I think it shows integrity for the story and for the characters that there isn't a romance. It shows how strong and independent Abigail is too, or maybe just how messed up she is that she can't have a relationship haha.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I was a little surprised by this as well. While reading I kept thinking that it may happen, but it did not disappoint me when it didn't. It was nice to read a story that didn't form to the typical roles of the main male and female fall in love. With that being said I do not think it is out of the question for the other books in the series.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I'm an incurable romantic, so I love romance in my books. I's a fundamental checkpoint for me, that if theres romance involved, chances are I'll be more invested in the story. However, that being said- I have read an enjoyed books with minimal romance. This is probably the first book I've read that entertained me well enough to hold my interest without any. I guess it's possible that they could be exploring that in the next book, but I didn't really read any romantic tension at all in this book so if the future books do go that route, it'd be interesting to see how. I honestly didn't mind the lack of love between our mains and really appreciated their banter a lot more. I feel like the story is kind of heavy and romance just didn't really fit with the overall tone.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I actually do like romance in action books but only when it's done right. Sometimes, the romance in non-romantic genres can actually get overpowering and mushy and ruin the story for me but if the romance is more of a side plot and adds to the story, I like it a lot. I definitely think that if not overdone, the romance between Abigail and Haatim would be really sweet.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
normindrasarawi
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

Adding some romance without ruining the main plot gives an extra excitement to the story. However, the book is still great without it and I think it’s unique. So for me, either way is acceptable.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

normindrasarawi wrote:Adding some romance without ruining the main plot gives an extra excitement to the story. However, the book is still great without it and I think it’s unique. So for me, either way is acceptable.
Yeah, I agree. I would like to see romance develop organically and not worry too much about it just sort of popping up.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Romance can be added to the story of it is done at a realistic pace. I agree that they shouldn't be rushed into a romance. A slow, development of feelings would be nice.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I love romance in an action book! I think it just adds another dimension to the novel. As many have mentioned before, since this book is part of a series romance could be added along the way.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”