If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

At some point of my immortality, I think that idea would come knocking at my door. After the initial happiness of being immortal, I'm sure I'd do ALL things I could not do before. When that sensation subsides, that idea could be a drive to keep on living. But of course, there's a lot to consider before I do it.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

EmperorOfBooks wrote:Well, for starters, I don't think I'd reveal to anyone that I was immortal, the reason being I AM NOT going to become a lab rat for the rest of eternity. Second of all, I'm pretty sure my attempts at changing the world wouldn't get me anywhere, unless I had other people willing to help me make a change.
That's what I was thinking - to not tell anyone. At first, I was thinking motivational speaking based on the experiences I would have would be great. However, it might not be a good idea to be in the public's eye since that will eventually lead to question when aging doesn't happen. Especially, with the internet being such a prominent feature in our society. I guess I would stick with the little things to help.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

It would be a difficult task, but as time is on my side, I think I can gradually change the world. Change would start within me. I would love to be a good model for the next generations. Then I would travel around the world, learning and touching people's lives.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

If I was immortal I would have so many plans to try and help! First I would become a successful human who has money, then donate that money to certain charities like animal shelters! I would also become a volunteer for many organizations and help develop ideas for bettering certain aspects! Although I do not want to be immortal I would try and help the world of it came to that!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

AmeliaLovesBooks wrote:The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be an immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
I would definitely try to influence things if I had a long time to do it in. Something on a global scale if possible.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

For me, it means being able to accomplish anything I put my mind to that I would usually just put off to the side due to a lack of time. Travel the world, make enough money to do what I want to do, and anything else that no longer needs to be rushed. In order to change the world we would need to find what effect I can have which fits this description. If you are around long enough, you become a wealth of knowledge and experience. You can study anything you want, as long as you need, and become a veritable expert. Since my background is in science, I would likely concentrate on standing on the shoulders of giants and advancing my preferred scientific fields.
TOWETT
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TOWETT »

by changing the people mind
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I think being immortal would be advantageous for making a difference because you would not only have the time to change the world, but first the time to learn, to absorb, to develop. I think there would be many things I would love to achieve but my focus would likely be on making the world healthier, safer, and more natural. My focus would not be only on the people but all of the life.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
EdnaLaDuh
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by EdnaLaDuh »

If I were immortal, I think I would be able to change the world easily. At the start, I would take good care of myself and make sure my health is good for me to have a good future. In the first place, I could be the first immortal person and probably set a world record. Secondly, since I could never die, I would try lots of risky things like jumping from a high place and other crazy stunts. But I understand that immortal means I can never die, not I can never get hurt. So maybe I wouldn't take it so far. However, I think the most important is that I could help people. If I could never die, I would be around for a long time and experience many things. Wisdom comes from experience and I would be really wise and able to advise different people on different things. I would probably be rich and famous, just saying for the lulz. Also, I could save people. If they were in trouble, in a serious fight or something, I could protect them and act like a meat shield without being able to die. I guess I would suffer a lot of pain, but at least I would try everything once, after already living for a long time. I think immortality would be amazing, because right now, we are all mortals and we only have so little time to be young. We have the rest of our lives to be old and then we die. Being immortal would enable us to be old and never die... But it could be bad, like if I got sick and tired of life and still couldn't end it... I would probably freeze myself and not live/die. (After changing the world a lot already)
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

AmeliaLovesBooks wrote:The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be an immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
I think one does not need to be immortal to change the world.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would change the world by spending more eternity trying to find cures for incurable diseases. I mean, I certainly have the time for it. I would also dedicate my life to building reliable, quality schools for children in low income neighborhoods.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I would start by doing some work in the community. Things like feeding the homeless and donating to charity. I think I would like to eventually open a home for orphans or even a school. I read a book once (Beheld by Alex Flinn) where one of the characters was immortal and he volunteered to fight in every war, because he knew he wouldn't die. I don't think I'm that brave, but I would try to change the world by helping small communities at a time.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Since I am an immortal, I would continuously do good to people. At the same time, since I have experienced a lot of ups and downs and have witnessed people's struggles in my existence, I'd be a guide to others. In a nutshell, I'd try to be as beneficial as possible if I am an immortal.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I may not be able to change the world, but I'll try to change as much people as I can by preaching love, and kindness. If I have the money or resources i'll also engage in charity works, providing and seeking justice for the poor and oppressed.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
I don't think I will be able to change the world even if I was immortal. I could probably guide people with my years of experience.

Guiding others to change the world IS changing the world. Assisting people to be better through knowledge is an immense help, just think of all the teachers that change the world everyday by encouraging us to be doctors, engineers, chemists, etc. You would change the world.

-- 10 Apr 2017, 13:35 --

I would absorb as much knowledge as I could in every category. Pass the knowledge on. Help those in need and push them to do the same. Travel every where and share that knowledge with tribes and countries that do not have access to grow. I'd also teach others to love every day of their lives. Glass is always full.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”