Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post by Amagine »

Moniquejm wrote:I believe that good will always win. We should not let evil win to this world.
In the real world, I completely agree with you. In the fictional world, I kind of want to read a story where evil actually does win. The reason is because it's a story idea I hardly ever see. I'm always looking for the realistic and yet outside of the box type of stories.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

MarisaRose wrote:The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.
I do enjoy a classic tale of good versus evil as long it is well-written and engaging. I agree that good often prevails, but that's how many of us were brought up with fairy tales like those made into Disney movies. Imagine bedtime stories where evil wins...no child would sleep soundly, snuggled in their beds!
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Even though good vs evil stories are always predictable I totally enjoy it because of the twists and turns that takes place before the expected happens. I get frustrated when the bad guy doesn't get the deserved punishment not to talk of when he goes totally free. This theme also reminds me that evil has not and will not completely overtake the world
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:I agree it can become predictable. Still, as long as the book is well-written and engaging, I enjoy the ride.

The ride yes that is what readers enjoy.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Vermont Reviews wrote:
gali wrote:I agree it can become predictable. Still, as long as the book is well-written and engaging, I enjoy the ride.
The ride yes that is what readers enjoy.
Vermont Reviews
Yeah, when a book can make you suspend disbelief and just have fun with things like demons and cults then that's the entire point. Sometimes it's just about having a good time.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Interestingly enough, the theme of good vs. evil is apparently a universal idea. All societies have some concept of this built in. Good and evil may not always look the same in various societies, but it is there, nonetheless.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

They all seemed evil to me. Just that some were more
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

I would love to see a book that is good vs grey. The enemy is neither good or bad; sometimes they act cruelly and sometimes kindly. They're not trying to take over the world, get revenge, or have more power....they're just sarcastic and bitter. I have nothing against good vs evil, but it'd be nice to shake it up a bit, you know?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Camogirl217 wrote:I would love to see a book that is good vs grey. The enemy is neither good or bad; sometimes they act cruelly and sometimes kindly. They're not trying to take over the world, get revenge, or have more power....they're just sarcastic and bitter. I have nothing against good vs evil, but it'd be nice to shake it up a bit, you know?
So you want to see an anti-villian type? It's one of my favorites. A villain who you can't completely classify as evil because they have a few redeeming qualities...very few. Also it would be awesome to read a book about grey characters. The kind of characters where you can't figure out if they are good or if they are evil.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.
I do enjoy a classic tale of good versus evil as long it is well-written and engaging. I agree that good often prevails, but that's how many of us were brought up with fairy tales like those made into Disney movies. Imagine bedtime stories where evil wins...no child would sleep soundly, snuggled in their beds!
Didn't that happen often in the original Grimm's? :eusa-think:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I agree that most books about good vs evil usually tend to run the same scope with the same outcome. However, I have read a series where that was not the case in every book. Whether the book runs the same route or goes outside of the line, it does have the ability to make me stop and evaluate on how I am living my life.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

classicaltwist wrote:That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.
Yeah, the way in which these books were changed to turn into Disney movies completely changed the original messages and concepts of the stories.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

James Craft wrote:
classicaltwist wrote:That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.
Yeah, the way in which these books were changed to turn into Disney movies completely changed the original messages and concepts of the stories.
No kidding! I've read a lot of the original stories and for some of them I was really baffled that someone was able to look at the story and think it would be the good basis for a children's movie.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I do enjoy the Good and Evil battle that is often played out.

I would also like to point out each "side" as they are referred to can be both Good or Evil. It all depends on the perspective that you are viewing it from. The big tell tale sign is if your prospective benefits from one side more than the other than that one side is the Good side.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”