What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I enjoy this genre especially when mixed with romance. I am not into horror and gore, but I do love suspenseful novels with the twist of the supernatural mixed in. Heather Graham and Amanda Quick are two authors whose works include these aspects.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I love supernatural thrillers because I believe in outer-world bodies, that they actually exist, but I don't like it if the characters are not unique in their special abilities
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

The supernatural thriller genre is nothing that I am interested in at all. I'm sure there are very talented writers, as there are in any other genre. Books that are positive and have a happy ending without too much trauma from beginning to end are more my speed. For me, I just feel there is enough sadness and I like to have something light whether it is reading or watching television.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Supernatural thriller genre is good for those who are young and adventurous. I don't recommend the genre to the old who are hypertensive or who have heart ailment..
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Ooh, I love this question. It is true that this genre has been flooded with so many stories that it's difficult to judge which one is better than the other. However, I still love this genre. There is something beautiful when the words you read send you to a spine-tingling scenario. Most of the books I read in this genre has that power.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

CarrieMe wrote:I like this genre, but the quality of the characters and whether I'm able to care about them always comes first for me. Sometimes it can be hard to find books that manage to accomplish this.

My thoughts exactly.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

ellieonline03 wrote:Ooh, I love this question. It is true that this genre has been flooded with so many stories that it's difficult to judge which one is better than the other. However, I still love this genre. There is something beautiful when the words you read send you to a spine-tingling scenario. Most of the books I read in this genre has that power.
I agree. There are scenes in books like this that are very chilling, and when you find one that really works it can terrify you.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Supernatural thriller genre is good for those who are young and adventurous. I don't recommend the genre to the old who are hypertensive or who have heart ailment..
I know a lot of older folks who loves this genre. I agree that it is not anyone who is easily scared of every little thing. Especially if you throw in some horror into it as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Post by MsMartha »

I don't read these very often now, although I used to read ghost stories frequently--and I still do if I find ones that seem unusual and are well written. My favorite ghost stories are pretty old--19th and 20th century stuff. My main reason to read Raven's Peak is because I'm interesting in seeing how things are done with these stories currently, and this book had a good review.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

MsMartha wrote:I don't read these very often now, although I used to read ghost stories frequently--and I still do if I find ones that seem unusual and are well written. My favorite ghost stories are pretty old--19th and 20th century stuff. My main reason to read Raven's Peak is because I'm interesting in seeing how things are done with these stories currently, and this book had a good review.
Give me anything by Poe.

Have you seen the movie Crimson Peaks? It is basically the Fall of the House of Usher with a different story but the same gothic feel. I loved it!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html

Post by MsMartha »

James Craft wrote: Have you seen the movie Crimson Peaks? It is basically the Fall of the House of Usher with a different story but the same gothic feel. I loved it!
I did see it, and it was very interesting!
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

I agree. They are pretty much alike and the stories seem recycled.
reneareviews
Currently Reading: mindfulness: a journal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneareviews.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by reneareviews »

I totally agree that sometimes supernatural books tend to get repetitive in the plot-line. I hate a book where I can guess the ending a few chapters in. However, if it has really good twists that can keep me up at night to finish just "one" more chapter then it's a good read. I'm not one of those people who necessarily wants a good happy ending. I just want enough twist throughout to keep me reading.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I enjoy this genre especially when mixed with romance. I am not into horror and gore, but I do love suspenseful novels with the twist of the supernatural mixed in. Heather Graham and Amanda Quick are two authors whose works include these aspects.
I do agree that if there is romance in the story, I find it easier to read this genre because I have something to focus most of my interest in. Besides that, I'm not really fan of supernatural thrillers as much.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Honestly, it is not a genre I really go for. However, I have been reconsidering recently in light of all this discussions on these forums

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”