Official Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn's Eerie Light" by Roy Ziegler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when love is not reciprocated? Does it find another target? Does it fizzle out? Does its quality change to something dark and destructive? In the surprising novel Dawn's Eerie Light author Roy Ziegler explores the fate of love not returned in kind. Denial, obsession, withdrawal and self-destruction all make an appearance in the book. Part romance, part suspense and part historical fiction, the novel will have you curious about the ending until the very last page.

Matt and Leo are upper class business and romantic partners in New Jersey. Interior designer Riley is the toast of New York high society. Mildred is an elderly, mentally ill waitress consumed by spite, regret and a desire for revenge. Through a kind of "six degrees of separation", these threads and more are woven together to create the fabric of a story you will not soon forget. To reveal more about the story would involve spoilers. You'll just have to read the book!

People who like reading about mid-twentieth century New York will appreciate Dawn's Eerie Light. Written from the third person omniscient perspective, it is set on the east coast in the 1960s and early 1970s. Mr. Ziegler paints a portrait of America's social and financial capital city complete with haute couture, a rock and roll soundtrack and a lifestyle naive to the coming ravages of HIV. The scenes and interactions between the characters are realistic, and reading the book is like taking a time machine back to that radical era in America's history. It is a trip.

Readers turned off by profanity and same-sex romance may not enjoy Dawn's Eerie Light, as it contains both of these elements. Even with the same-sex relationships, however, Mr. Ziegler spins a tale full of emotion and angst experienced by many people regardless of sexual orientation. While some parts may make straight readers uncomfortable, they can relate to at least some of the situations described. Mr. Ziegler is a great writer.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The quick pace drew me into the story from the very beginning; I was 50 pages into the novel without even realizing it. Please note this novel is not for children, as the themes presented are of an adult nature. The professional editing makes Dawn's Eerie Light a polished entertaining work that I recommend to the mature reader looking for a different kind of fiction.

Dawn's Eerie Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This is a great review. It sounds like you really enjoyed reading the book. I don't think the story is what I would picture from the name, but I love surprises like that!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

It is said that a woman spurned is a deadly enemy. No wonder, therefore, that an author like Roy Zigler will portray this theme to great effect, as per your review. Looks complex enough, and interwoven.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

This book is a good example of 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Book's cover and title gave me a different kind of idea about its genre.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

That cover! I must just say that the one who designed the cover is a maestro:) Apart from that, this sounds like the kind of off-the-wall narrative I'd like - great review :tiphat:
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

The review is as interesting as the book seems to be. I liked reading this review. I hope the book will be as described. It was considerate that you included a warning to readers who don't like profanity and gay themes.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I was sold on this book after seeing the title and the book cover. They are captivating and eye-catching, but your review got me to buy the book. looking forward to reading it. Good job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”