Official Review: Roses in a Forbidden Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Roses in a Forbidden Garden

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roses in a Forbidden Garden" by Elise Garibaldi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Roses in a Forbidden Garden: A Holocaust Love Story is an absolute must read. This is the inspirational survival story of a young, Jewish girl at a time when Jews were an Enemy of the State. The persecution starts off subtly enough. First, you call the Jews names and blame all your problems on them. Next, you ban them from going to school. After that, you make them wear stars identifying them as Jews, remove them from their homes, and relocate them so that they are all together. The final step is to use them as slave labor and kill off the ones that are not productive enough. So how does one not only survive this but manage to find true love? That is what we learn in this story.

This story follows the life of a young girl named Inge Katz as well as her family. We start off in November of 1938. Inge is no longer allowed to attend school, but she and her cousin Ruthie have found employment as apprentices. They work as seamstresses in a shop that makes dresses and dream of one day opening their own shop. The war grows ever closer, though, and the two girls are eventually separated. Inge finds herself in a labor camp called Theresienstadt along with her mother, father, and grandmother. She tries to stay upbeat, but every day is a struggle simply to stay alive.

This book is written by Elise Garibaldi, who is the granddaughter of Inge Katz. Because this is written by a family member one might expect the book to be of a lower quality or have many errors, but this is not the case. Ms. Garibaldi does a wonderful job relating all that her grandmother went through. The book is professionally written and edited making it very easy to read. In fact, Ms. Garibaldi does a great job capturing the thoughts and feelings as well as the general mood of that time. For instance, Inge is packing to leave her family home. She is scared but trying to remain positive for her family’s sake. Despite the fear, Inge takes the time to make sure that she packs matching shoes to go with her outfits. It’s the little details like this that make the story come to life.

I also enjoyed the pictures that were scattered throughout this book. There are pictures of Inge Katz, her cousin Ruthie, as well as others. My favorite picture was of Ruthie and Inge wearing hats that they made out of scraps left over from work. These images help to put faces to the names given in the book which again brings the whole story closer to home.

As I stated earlier Roses in a Forbidden Garden is a very well-written book with few errors. I must applaud Elise Garibaldi and her editor as they have left me with very little to discuss as far as the negatives of this novel. The only thing I can say is that there are a few formatting errors such as the caption on a picture being forced to the next page instead of directly underneath it. However, these are barely worth mentioning and in no way detract from the book.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to everyone. Yes it talks about atrocities from history, but even in the midst of all that was going on, there was hope and optimism. I can only hope that the sharing and reading of stories such as this will keep this kind of cruelty from reoccurring!

Roses in a Forbidden Garden
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

Wow! It is a sad but very interesting story of a strong resistant lady. It is obviously good for me.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yes Henry. She's definitely a survivor. It's worth a read.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Wonderful review! Books about WWII are never easy to read, but in my experience, they have so much to teach us even now as well as tell the stories of the survivors - I definitely want to read this one.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lest- You're right. Books on this era are hard to read. They're worth it though. Especially this one. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you so much for this review.
Not long ago I also reviewed a book about a Jewish girl who was saved from the Nazis by an English businessman. These stories bring hope and also shed light into a historical period that we need to learn from so as not to repeat it. I think I want to read this book some day.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Pilar. It's amazing what these people suffered. This is a great book to read.
—Neil Gaiman
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

Good review because each path of the book is taken into account. No matter how the situation there is hope, one can fight to survive and overcome in life. This book is a must read because we need to know the history to not repeat it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

You're right Olaiya. This book gives us hope even in normal circumstances. We must never lose hope. Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Great review! Seems like a heartwarming story, especially considering the central character's optimism, despite all she has to go through. I'll check this one out for sure.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm so glad debo9967! It really is a worthwhile read. I am humbled and amazed by the grace with which Inge suffers these atrocities!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. It's important for people to understand these personal stories from the Holocaust, so that this dark period in history won't be repeated. It's very heartwarming that the woman's granddaughter honored her by writing about her experiences.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and touching book. I usually don't feel comfortable reading about atrocities but this sound like going back in time and place in history. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Elise Garibaldi on such a high rating.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie and Kimmyschemy! It really is worth a read.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I think I read this book before or one very similar to it where the granddaughter of someone that went through the Holocaust wrote this novel on her grandma's life that had me literally weeping.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”