Discuss Water for Elephants

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Mudit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mudit »

Kinda good but you know some things were kind of unrealastic like catherine looking like Mrs.Rosembluth.
gavinol

Post by gavinol »

Its a too interesting book..but ending is unrealistic..but still enjoy lot to reading all character are so brilliant Sara either did alot of research or she grew up in a circus Smile thats how real her world seemed to me.
Anna james

Post by Anna james »

Seems to be an interesting book to go out and read for sure, thanks a lot for sharing the link....
Tonglimit

Post by Tonglimit »

ssaaaaaaafwerwf
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

What do you mean by a "flawed" character?

Also, I don't know if it was an unrealistic ending. You see right from the beginning the man who took Jacob is very interested in his life and his works. I doubt he will say no to the offer.

Being a romance novel, I never seemed to feel it. Whenever Jacob and Marlena it is somehow short and meaningless. Marlena also hadn't actually grow throughout the book. Barbara is more static than her. I am not saying the Marlena should be a whore but one thing is for sure: Her character is flat.

Thats what I thought. Also I have something to share. Since the movie-adaptation is coming closer. I found a site giving away a film-tie in novel with the signature of the director. Enjoy!

On second thought I cannot post links. :/ so just search this keyword
"filmwaterforelephants"
Molecularblonde

Post by Molecularblonde »

I found this book to be very good, and unlike anything I had ever read, but as others have said, although it had some great moments, it had some flaws, (the ending). Overall it was a great read, but not all that memorable.
MB
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Hello Molecular. I'm just confused. What is the flaw about the ending?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

IMO the ending is totally implausable and feels very contrived as if somehow she just wanted to wrap it all up neatly ... pity because the rest of the book is interesting and absorbing & Rosie is the best character in the book :D
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

About Rosie, Yes I like her. She smiles a lot and likes ginger ale.

------

Just wondering though from the title:

What is the "Water" and Who is the "Elephant"?

Anyone?
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I loved this book that gives such an in-depth look at circus life during the Depression. Well-developed and endearing characters along with a compelling plot make it very hard to put down.

Like others here, I liked the happy ending.

I can't wait to see the movie! Has anyone seen it yet? Was it good?
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

I haven't but I'm planning to watch it soon. I will let you know :wink:
Alinfosoi

Post by Alinfosoi »

Jacob, the circus was his salvation, but also the world's purgatory, the presence of his dreams, it is also displacement of the beginning of the ... ... He fell in love with Mary Lena circus star - beautiful and spotlessly clean Poor Mary Elena has married the wrong appearance, handsome, heart brutal circus director August. An elephant named Rosy, the main ruin the circus magic under the charge, but not even the most simple command can not understand. Diming, weeping, Zhang Hao, Rosy day as the hook in August under the brutal ordeal. James, Mary Elena, Rosy, two-, as in dance, leap, flip, twist in one dazzling moment in order to fight, eating, survival, interdependence and trust, along with looking for a romantic and Appalling way out. This has become a conservative seven years Jacob secret.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

What's your take?

Some people argue that the ending is just a fantasy. Mainly because, the old Jacob lost his favorite nurse and have underwent dementia and that's why he think of the place he will want to end up.

Anyone?
Gatsby'sGreenLight

Post by Gatsby'sGreenLight »

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of this novel. I definitely liked it; although, like some others, I thought the ending was a little contrived and overall the book was trying to incorporate too much. I read a little of the afterward by Sarah Gruen. She admits that she did a TON of research into circuses during this time period. Many of the incidents in the book are taken from circus lore of the time period - including one elephant who escaped into a garden; a different elephant that killed her handler; red-lighting; a circus worker who died by getting wrapped up into a canvas... To me, that seems like she was like, "all these stories are so cool, I have to fit them all in."

Overall, it was an interesting story. I would recommend it to a friend.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

@Gatsby

Yea, audiobook was great. Although, the old Jacob's voice was good but I really hate the sound of nagging and complaining person. ha ha. So whenever it's his turn, I just read the book to myself and turn on the audiobook if its the young Jacob. :lol: :lol:

I have read some of the afterward, too. I learned that she was working on a novel and suddenly ditch it off at the thought of the book, Water For Elephants. It was even amazing that she tried to consolidate all the historical accounts of different circuses and that includes the pictures. Ha!

Although, I don't feel the same about cramming the details. You see, I haven't been into a circus and the way Sara Gruen presents it, I have a pretty good idea what's it like.

Have you seen the movie-adaptation?

Return to “Book of the month”