Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » Writing Discussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Grammar rules about the use of the different pasts

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published

Grammar rules about the use of the different pasts

Post Number:#1 by Angie Bookworm
» 17 Mar 2017, 14:50

English is not my first languages so, when I write, I have some troubles about which past is the better one. Especially when I have to write a complex period. Can you give me some tips?
Angie Bookworm

Favorite Book: King's Cage
Currently Reading: Frostblood
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Grammar rules about the use of the different pasts

Post Number:#2 by K-McD
» 20 Mar 2017, 12:38

The four past tenses are simple past, past perfect (had), past progressive (was -ing), and past perfect progressive (had been).

Simple past means that something happened in the past at some point.
"She called me."

Past perfect means that something happened before something else in the past.
"She had called me before the tornado appeared."

Past progressive means that the activity was ongoing or happened repeatedly in the past.
"She was always calling me when we were in high school."

Past perfect progressive means it was ongoing before something else in the past.
"She had been calling me before her phone exploded."
It can also mean an interrupted action in the past, but that will have a slightly different construction: "She had been calling me when her phone exploded."

If you're writing the entire piece in past tense, then it's mostly the same. Simple past is what's currently happening in the story, past perfect is something that happened before that point in the narrative, past progressive is something that's currently ongoing, and past perfect progressive is something that was ongoing before that point in the narrative (or was interrupted).

One tip for figuring out which one to use: think about whether the action could be described as "always" or "repeatedly", or if it happened before something else. If it is repeated or continual, then it's a progressive tense. If it happened before something else, then it's a perfect. If both, or the action was interrupted, then it's a perfect progressive. If neither, it's a simple past.
K-McD

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Grammar rules about the use of the different pasts

Post Number:#3 by Angie Bookworm
» 27 Mar 2017, 11:38

Thank you for the help. 😊
Angie Bookworm

Favorite Book: King's Cage
Currently Reading: Frostblood