Official Review: Perses (Nomad Series Book Three)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Official Review: Perses (Nomad Series Book Three)

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of Perses: Nomad Series Book Three by K. A. Finn]

Perses: Nomad Series Book Three by K. A. Finn is a Science Fiction novel following straight on from the ending of the second book, Nemesis. The story follows Bray, a commander of the Hunter Clan with some cyborg qualities, and ex convict Wade Garvan. They had previously been trapped aboard a Foundation Ship heading for Earth, in to the heart of their enemies. Perses follows their attempt to hide and flee Earth without detection. The Council of Earth are corrupted, family ties have been broken and the two men are unsure who they can trust and, beneath it all is a terrible secret only one of them knows. A secret that frightens the Leader of the Council who will stop at nothing to keep it hidden.

Perses is a very well written book with great character development. While the second book in the series was full of action, intense scenes and touches of romance, this book leans more towards humour and camaraderie. Bray and Garvan have some fantastic verbal banter which strengthens their relationship and creates a bond with the reader. This connection between the reader and character also sends you through some emotional twists and turns as you read.

I like that I found myself caring deeply for these two men. I was worried about every situation they found themselves in. I became critical of anyone new entering their lives because of the deep distrust they have for those on Earth, including family. I also like how the author throws in more questions as one piece of the story is wrapped up, leaving us with the realisation that there are far deeper layers to the plot opening the way for the next book.

I would have liked a little more action in the book. While the ending left me biting my nails, I felt there were more opportunities to build relationships or have their impossible plans go a little less smoothly. It would have been nice to have more tension. Some action scenes fell a little flat at times because of this.

I believe that Perses and the entire Nomad series is a great starting place for those who want to try the Sci-Fi genre. It is not overwhelmed by the genre's jargon or complicated contraptions that need many pages to describe or explain. It is an easy reading space opera with humour and some light romance. Perses is a fairly short book but stays in your mind with memorable dialogue and witty moments that had me smiling and shaking my head at their antics. It offers strong male and female characters so all can enjoy it.

Perses is a strong 3 out of 4 star book. It has everything the genre needs; ships, futuristic medical kits and cyborgs. It has a good plot and clear direction. Unfortunately, I would have liked to see the characters struggle far more within the dangerous situation and terrain they faced. Some things happened a little too easily which stopped me from rating this as a 4 star. However, I am also looking forward to reading the next book in the series as I feel that Perses was only setting up for the next storyline.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there was a little bit left too be desired in this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

Nice review. Thanks. Sounds like a good book.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like there was a little bit left too be desired in this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Thank you!

and yes It did have that element, but I am hoping it was needed for the set up of the next book.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review. It sounds like an interesting plot line and one that keeps you guessing throughout the story. Nice job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

rssllue wrote:Very nice review. It sounds like an interesting plot line and one that keeps you guessing throughout the story. Nice job!
Thank you very much. The series is fun
― David Gemmell
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! I might just give it a go in the future thanks to your review. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”