Official Review: From the Ashes I Will Rise by Soyadeba

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: From the Ashes I Will Rise by Soyadeba

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From the Ashes I Will Rise" by Soyadeba.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the Ashes I Will Rise by Soyadeba is a memoir of the author’s painful past and her expression of optimism, frustration and survival told through poetry and prose. The author introduces the collection with an explanation of her inspiration. As a victim of multiple types of assault, Soyadeba originally sought out writing as a coping mechanism; Soyadeba now writes to raise awareness and provide hope to others. The poems and prose included in From the Ashes I will Rise are written in a free verse style and range in length from one sentence to one or two full pages.

Certain works in From the Ashes I Will Rise are emotional. It is clear the author is writing from a place of truly intense feeling. Further, the author showcases a strong point of view in her writing. The use of certain descriptions was fascinating; for example, the description of a feeling’s “rose-colored-haze.”

There doesn’t appear to be any distinct organization regarding the order in which the poems are laid out; further, there are no titles for the poems and no defined sections. Though this is not necessarily negative, it made for an awkward flow from one work to the next as they rarely seemed connected; the poems do not tell a complete story. A stronger connection could have been made with the reader if there was a sense of linear progression throughout the collection. Many poems seemed to tell only a very small part of a story, some seemed to tell someone else's story, and some poems seemed to connect to others, but it was impossible to tell in the current order. If this book was not advertised as a memoir this would not have been such a disappointment.

The poems are all free verse and rarely contain any notable meter. Some felt incredibly emotional while the majority felt contrived or unfinished. Much of the work would be better classified as quotes instead of poetry. For example, one poem in its entirety reads: “"In a world full of beautiful people, she was looking for beautiful souls." Though this sentence can be very meaningful, without any other context it fails to evoke emotion or understanding. The majority of the work is not much longer than the example mentioned and there is roughly one poem per page, this constitutes approximately 150 different poems throughout the collection, many of which felt like nothing more than abstract thoughts jotted down in a journal. Overall, the abundance of short poems felt repetitive and prevented the poems from standing out.

There is a wealth of potential throughout this collection and I commend the author for seeking out poetry as an expression of her deep emotions. However, the collection lacks thoughtful flow and organization. Overall, much of the work felt incomplete and failed to convey a meaningful message. For those reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did find certain aspects of this collection to be interesting and thus recommend From the Ashes I Will Rise to those interested in abstract, free verse poetry.

From the Ashes I Will Rise
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Writing can be a great means of expression for so many reasons. I applaud this author for using writing to cope with all that she was going through. Too bad there wasn't more organization in this book. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Writing can be a great means of expression for so many reasons. I applaud this author for using writing to cope with all that she was going through. Too bad there wasn't more organization in this book. Thanks for the review, though!
Thank you for the kind words! This one is definitely full of potential.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”