Official Review: Adama by Alvin Berger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Adama by Alvin Berger

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adama" by Alvin Berger.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adama by Alvin Berger is a sci-fi thriller with a touch of romance. While attending a meeting in New York City, Matt, a former member of a top secret government agency turned dentist, unexpectedly meets Mallory, a beautiful woman with an interesting job. Matt chooses to tag along with Mallory to Israel where she must investigate a very unique piece of technology, though Matt may have ulterior motives in the matter. The story focuses on the powerful computer, Adama. Integrated into the computer's hard wiring is human DNA. This new technological fabrication makes Adama’s abilities unlike those of any machine ever known to man.

Adama is a relatively short read as the book is only about 170 pages. The narrative moves along quickly as the main characters find themselves in one compromising situation after another. The parts of the story set in Israel were the most enjoyable; the author sets the scene for ample suspense throughout these scenes. Coinciding with the fast pace of the novel, the time spent describing Adama and the computer's evolution into a potentially sentient being are kept short and are not overloaded with technical jargon or lengthy explanations. However, many times, the lack of scientific explanation resulted in aspects of the plot seeming unrealistic. Similarly, the characters easily escaped many dire situations and the explanations for their ability to elude such situations felt rushed and impractical, taking away from the excitement of the book.

The most disappointing parts of Adama were the poorly developed characters. All main characters felt shallow and lacked any chemistry during their interactions. The lack of any real development made the characters fall flat; they were all hard to relate to and none felt compelling. Additionally, the dialogue throughout the story was noticeably stilted and unnatural; many times the dialogue appeared to be used as a way of conveying a large amount of information instead of a way to advance character development or plot.

Unfortunately, Adama could use another round of editing. Though the errors noted where not rampant, they were plentiful enough to detract from the overall reading experience. Editorial errors included the use of incorrect words such as “inpatient” when “impatient” is meant, “qualities” when “qualifies” is meant. The author even uses the term “boson buddies” when the actual terminology is “bosom buddies.” Further, there were some missing words and improper punctuation used at times.

The inspiration behind Adama deserves some merit; technology is ever changing and the idea of DNA infused computers is fascinating. However, the execution of the narrative and the poor character development has led me to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. If the character interactions were more realistic and enjoyable, I would have considered a higher score. Those who enjoy sci-fi books set in present day and focusing on technology may find this book worthwhile.

Adama
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems you have to be really good to write a successful story of this length. Too bad this isn't one of them. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's good to hear that you enjoyed some parts of the book (i.e. the suspenseful Israel scenes), however, I'm sorry to hear how the characters were so flat. I have a difficult time in enjoying a read that I feel the characters do not grow in any way and are not relatable. Also, too bad about the amount of errors present here. I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for the informative review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Sorry to hear that the story fell so flat. The premise definitely sounds interesting. Thanks for the great review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the problems especially the character development and the errors. Great job on the review.
KaylaA
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaa.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KaylaA »

Thank you for your great review! Flat characters will quickly turn me away from the book and I do not enjoy short reads. Seems like a good premise though. If it was not for the lack of characterization, this would be a book that I would be interested in.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Jahazmentons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jahazmentons »

Its a great start tho
Lovely impact
Hope to see the updated version's
Nice review
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

It is a shame about the errors, always makes the reading slightly less enjoyable even if the story is good. Thanks for the honest review
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

It seems like this book has potential. Great review.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I desperately wish "boson buddies" was a deliberate play on words, but it sounds like that's unlikely. Shame. That would have been hilarious.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”