Favorite fantasy writers

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Favorite fantasy writers

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

I will broadly be saying my favorite fantasy writer is my cousin Samantha Lafantasy. She made me fall in love with her original story Heart Song, and from there she has written three more to that series! They are so well wrote that you really believe you are there with the characters! Can't wait till she comes out with her next one!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

RA Salvatore and his stories of the Dark Elf, Drizzt Do'Urden. Those books got me hooked on Epic Fantasy. Also love Orson Scott Card's Ender Series. Hard to pick a favorite. Also like Jim Butcher, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, and Patrick Rothfuss.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Athena2017
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena2017.html

Post by Athena2017 »

A Wrinkle In Time was one of my favorite books as a kid.
sakini
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by sakini »

My favorite fantasy author is Neil Gaiman. I just love the unique stories and settings that he comes up with. My favorite of his is Stardust.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

Tad Williams never gets enough love. His Shadowmarch series is amazing but I love the he has so so many series that end at book 3 or 4 and then he just moves on and makes another world. I admit I'm excited for his sequel trilogy to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books though. He's also usually on the list of inspirations for most modern fantasy authors.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

Though I definitely like some of the authors discussed above I would choose Patricia McKillip if I had to pick a favorite. Her prose is an enchantment in itself, it just sounds so beautiful that sometimes you can enjoy the rhythm of it without even comprehending the meaning. Winter Rose and Od Magic are a few favorites ; ) The emotions of her characters run deep and I often find myself gripping the page as I read through a hard decision or harrowing challenge set before a main character
Though this has nothing to do with the books themselves, her choice of artist is also amazing. I think very few can adequately capture the worlds she describes within but Kinuko Craft somehow pulls it off in beautiful ways...
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
AlaskasJade
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alaskasjade.html

Post by AlaskasJade »

Terry Goodkind, Brandon Mull, Rick Riordan.
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

Like Sci-fi I don't like fantasy too much but I love the five book series: Fever by Karen Marie Moning
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

Fantasy is my favorite genre and I have to mention Tolkien and Elin Pelin who introduced me to the literature and never stop to amaze me with depth of their stories. Also J.R.R. Martin whom I consider to be Tolkien of our generation.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

My favorite famtasy author would have to be Branden Sanderson. He is a fantastic author. I have recommended Elantris several times and the person I recommended it to always ends up gettimg other books of Sanderson's.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Natalie394 wrote:Morgan Rhodes is an excellent fantasy writer. Her Falling Kingdoms series is full of amazing characters and the world is so engaging and entertaining. It is described as a YA Game of Thrones and, even though I've never seen it, I think that is quite an accurate description. The 5th book in the series has just come out and I am very excited to read it.
I agree! I love the falling kingdoms series. Alex Flinn is a great author too.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Musinguzi Arnold

Post by Musinguzi Arnold »

I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.

-- 20 Mar 2017, 08:27 --

I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Patricia Briggs is my all time favorite fantasy author with her series Mercy Thompson and the Alpha & Omega series. C.C. Hunter is another good author and has a good writing style that I enjoy for this genre. Rick Riordan is probably my second favorite fantasy author with how he incorporates different mythology’s into his books. He is very creative and I love no matter what age you can enjoy his work.
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

I enjoyed Jennifer Roberson's novels, Sword-Dancer, Sword-Singer, Sword-Maker and Sword-Breaker. These four books follow the journeys of Tiger and Del. The novels have a strong mythology, a believable world, two characters who are both drawn to each other but are also in conflict with each other and themselves. I read these books many years ago and they have remained on my bookshelves. I read them every few years or so. In fact, come to think of it, I think it is time to read them again.
Bookgirleva
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bookgirleva »

Marion Zimmer Bradley. Mist of Avalon was the first book I ever truly loved and when I was finished made me want to read more

Return to “Discuss Authors”