Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Fullness of Time" by Katherine P. Stillerman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hattie Barton is a woman on a mission. After going to Washington for the inauguration of Woodrow Wilson, she and her sister-in-law Alice happen upon a women's suffrage parade and end up swept away in the movement. Unfortunately, Hattie lives in South Carolina, one of the states most against women's suffrage (the right for women to vote) and their battle is absolutely an uphill one. Hattie is also dealing with her ex-fiancé Will Kendrick coming back to town, her husband's mysterious dealings with a former flame of his own after his childhood best friend dies and the possibility that World War I will draw America, and her draft-aged son Charles Jr, into the battle.

In the Fullness of Time: One Woman's Story of Growth and Empowerment by Katherine P. Stillerman is a fictional story that manages to encapsulate many nonfictional events and people from 1913 to 1920. The star of the show here is the history itself: it was really fascinating to see how the aftermath of the Civil War was still felt by southerners, how child labor laws recently put into effect still had lingering effects, how deep racism was, how people felt about women's suffrage, and how WWI touched everyone. One of my favorite inclusions in the book is a poem that humorously details the negative effects WWI had on people at home, people who had "meatless" and "wheatless" days so their soldiers could have food in addition to many other setbacks. I liked the poem so much that I looked it up and found it was genuinely from that era, lending even more awesomeness to it. Headlines are often plucked from real history as well; every time I researched more from the book I found out just how real it was. Katherine even manages to pull views on homosexuality and the recent studies of sterilization into the book. It felt incredibly genuine, and as if something happened in those years then it was included in these pages.

While the history is incredible, the plot and characters really don't suffer for it. There are some fantastic characters here, and while it's clear many have a history that was more fully fleshed out in the first book of this series (Hattie's Place), I never felt like I missed out by not having read it first. Hattie is a perfect main character, and Charles (her husband) is actually a cool guy too, but they're also their own people who have issues. Both face a bit of temptation by a former love interest, and I absolutely loved the resolution to these threads. It was also great that Charles was open to women's suffrage, and a storyline that explores his childhood really explains a lot about him. This diversion from the book typically following Hattie is nice, as is the bit that Hattie tells in first person (as opposed to the rest being third person) when she writes letters to a woman who couldn't come along for a women's suffrage trip. Alice, however, often steals the show. She's very outspoken and independent, and doesn't have concern for proper etiquette (it was always hilarious when Hattie mentioned Alice would hang up without saying goodbye, and how she tried to make a game of guessing when this would happen to sneak a "bye" in quickly). I definitely feel like this is a relationship that would've been strengthened by reading Hattie's Place, in which Charles ends up marrying Hattie despite her being 23 years younger (her 23 to his 46 in this book), and with kids of his own and the troubles she faces "replacing" his deceased wife. As is, however, it was still a great part of the book.

March is National Women's History Month, so it was a particularly good time to pick this one up. One of the goals the women have with women's suffrage is equal pay for women, and yet a century later it's still a pressing issue. One of Hattie's biggest issues for a great deal of the book, and one other women face and discuss, is how impossible it is for a woman to be married and still work toward her own personal goals. Hattie, for example, had wanted to teach higher education instead of simply being a teacher, and other women refuse to marry at all so they can be working women instead. There's also the hate and the oppression that men put on the women for something as simple as the right to vote. While some men are supportive and others are down the middle (like Charles who, while supportive of Hattie, doesn't speak out about it as he believes it's too unlikely to ever happen), there are some who are terrible. One woman even keeps her name off the books so that her husband won't find out, as he threatened to take the kids away from her if she becomes a suffragist.

I really enjoyed my time with this book. These women share a special bond, fight for what they believe in and (spoiler alert for anyone who lives under a rock) eventually succeed in women being able to vote! The book also masterfully captures history in a very natural way in this fictional book, and Katherine even has a detailed section at the back with the resources she used and some details of searching for information. The book wasn't perfect, certainly, but I came away with a great deal of new knowledge about history and a new outlook at the time period. As such, I'm rating this one 4 out of 4 stars and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in American history, women's history or a good historical fiction that masterfully incorporates nonfiction.

In the Fullness of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This wouldn't be a book I would normally read, but it does sound quite interesting. Good characters make any book, and the fact that the author includes historical facts as well as a great plot is a nice bonus. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KASTURI BAI GUNALAN
Currently Reading: Longing
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasturi-bai-gunalan.html

Post by KASTURI BAI GUNALAN »

This is the kind of book that i'm looking forward to read. Very interesting and Women based story always makes me energetic!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! It is great that "while the history is incredible, the plot and characters really don't suffer for it". I"m glad you enjoyed the book. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad you liked this one so much! I love reading historical fiction that focus on strong female characters. Even though you said you did not feel like you missed much by starting with the second book, I think I will go back and start with Hattie's Place first, I don't want to miss anything. Great job on the review!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds like a well written book. I'm glad you gained knowledge from it. Thank You for the great review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I also read and reviewed this book, so it was a special treat to read your opinions. I agree Alice was a hoot. I read Hattie's Place last year so it was interesting to see how Hattie's relationship with Alice evolved in this book....thankfully, for the better. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Seems like a truly interesting read! I will have to check this one out.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
luckyzeelian
Currently Reading: Ketchup in my Veins
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luckyzeelian.html

Post by luckyzeelian »

Wow, very interesting story, i really enjoyed every p art of it, thanks.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Okay! This one just got a spot on my tbr. I'm sure gonna read this and from the sound of it, I highly think this is an amazing book to read. :-)
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Historical fiction about the Woman's Sufferage, infidelity and lost love, that's a mix that I'll be reading. Congratulations on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

An age old fight in a novel way...sounds interesting. Congrats on the review. Will give this originality a try.
Paras Juneja
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Paras Juneja »

Thanks for advice man.. I would like to read this book now
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I'm usually not interest in historical fiction but your description of how accurate this book is has made me curious. I also love that you can link it to the present and that the story seems rally interesting. I'm now on the fence about it.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Evenami
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evenami.html

Post by Evenami »

This actually motivates me as women due to the character of those women who fight for what the believe in and succeed.

Return to “Historical Fiction”