Official Review: Envoy of Jerusalem by Helena P. Schrader

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Envoy of Jerusalem by Helena P. Schrader

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Envoy of Jerusalem" by Helena P. Schrader.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the historical fiction read, Envoy of Jerusalem, Helena P. Schrader brings together a story filled with action, treachery, love, and the true effects of war. This is the third installment of the biographical novel about Balian d’Ibelin.

Balian d’Ibelin is like no other. Though he was set free from the surrender of Jerusalem, the strong leader cannot envision himself to give up on the Holy Land that easily. With more determination than ever, he desires the Holy Land be reclaimed to God. But, what holds dear to his heart are the ones he left behind. The tens of thousands of Christians who have become enslaved by the uncaring Sultan Salah ad-Din and his foul and torturous followers, the Saracens. When all seems almost hopeless, the vigorous King Richard, the Lionheart, of England comes to the aid of Jerusalem. Will they be able to reclaim what truly is theirs?

Though this is the third in the series, it could very well be read as a standalone. I was fortunate enough to have read the second one, Defender of Jerusalem, so I already had some prior knowledge of the topic at hand. However, the author provides background information of the previous Crusades that were included in the first two books toward the beginning of Envoy of Jerusalem. In addition, she has done a great job in retelling parts of the previous books during this read without making it seem redundant.

What Schrader does well is bringing her story to life with her beautiful and captivating writing style. As the reader follows several characters’ thoughts, it is easy to feel present in every captivating scene: the fighting, the emotional moments, times of victory, times of loss, and even through the several sieges that took place. My emotions ran high and it was a read that was hard to put down.

Most characters are vividly drawn, as well. I consider Balian and his wife, Dowager Maria Zoe, as the strong ‘power’ couple in this read. The clear love, trust, and open communication they have for one another was probably rare in the twelfth century, but was wonderfully scripted here. Maria is extremely perceptive and will not falter in her thoughts. Knowing this, Balian always asks for her opinions, which is wise since most times, she is correct.

With how much I loved this book, and the previous one, there were a couple of flaws. For one, there were at least a dozen or so errors. In this lengthy book, it may not seem like a big deal, but what really caught my eye is the land of ‘Arsur’ versus ‘Arsuf’. Though not a major setting in the book, it was mentioned several times as one or the other, which was distracting.

Secondly, the various names of people is a bit off-putting. I can understand that those who own land, like barons, may be addressed as the name of their land. For instance, Balian d’Ibelin is referred to both Balian and Ibelin, because he originates and owns Ibelin. I became used to this. However, when the Sultan and his followers first referred to Balian as ‘Ibn Barzan’, I was thrown off. It took me a couple of times in reading this reference to figure out they were speaking about Balian. This happened a few times; one of which, I can still only guess who the Sultan is referring to.

With themes of loyalty, fealty, betrayal, and love, I rate this read a 3 out of 4 stars. It was very captivating, but with the amount of errors and the interchanging of names without explanation, I’m afraid I cannot give it a perfect four-star rating. I do highly recommend this read to those who like to learn more about the Crusades in the twelfth century and do not mind some graphic wartime scenes.

Envoy of Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting, but the use of the different terms for the characters would confuse me greatly I think. I always like it, however, when the author has a series but the book also stands alone. Thanks for the nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, kandscreeley! I was able to get used to the name change with the ownership of the land, but when you throw in something completely different from the Sultan, I have no idea what to make of it. Despite that, it was a very pleasant read! Thank you for reading and commenting. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ALLI MANIFA
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALLI MANIFA »

yes I like it
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ALLI MANIFA wrote:yes I like it
Nice! I liked the book too. :)
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It is nice that the author provides background information of the previous Crusades. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the errors. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, gali! When I first picked up the book previous to this one, I wasn't sure if I'd like it too, but the author writes her stories in such an inviting way that I couldn't help but be sucked in. :)
Heidi

greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Your review makes this sound like a book I would absolutely love. History, biblical settings, well-drawn characters - great plot! Just about has everything. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, greenstripedgiraffe! This book definitely has all the qualities you've mentioned, and I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for reading and commenting! :)
Heidi

MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I really like to read historical fiction and this one sounds really interesting, but I know how confusing character name changes can be! That would definitely be off putting. I'm glad you found the writing style to be so engaging; that always sets a book apart from others. Thanks for the intriguing review :)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, MarisaRose! I definitely agree with the character name changes being a bit of a challenge. Though, I am still happy to have read this book. :)
Heidi

MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I've read books with similar issues regarding the usage of more than one name for either a character or a place. It can be very confusing.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your thoughts, CatInTheHat. I agree, it can be confusing at times. However, I do want to say that even with this aspect, I found the book kept my interest to the very end. :)
Heidi

godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I haven't read many books about the Crusades so maybe I should check this one out! Thanks for the great review!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, godreaujea! Though it was a decently long book, it was very enjoyable! There is great character development and the plot flowed nicely. If you do get the chance to read this, I hope you enjoy it!
Heidi

Return to “Historical Fiction”