Official Review: Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zom...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zom...

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies" by Jo Lee Auburne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amanda Carter in the LAZ, Life After Zombies is a post-apocalyptic tale and the first book written by author Jo Lee Auburne.

The world turned to hell six months ago when a real life zombie outbreak arose. Since then, Amanda Carter has been living in the middle of the California desert with a small group of survivors. Without a proper shelter, they've been camping for the past six months and living based on their day-to-day needs. Amanda is tired of just barely getting by and wants to establish some sort of normalcy amidst their entirely abnormal situation. What does the new normal look like?

Amanda decides to risk a trip into town for the biggest supply run her group has ever done. Her goal is to collect items that will make their group more self-sustaining. The trip is further complicated by the fact that half of her group is injured and her only choice of partner isn't even old enough to drive. Samantha is fifteen and has never done a run into town before. Out in the LAZ, zombies are the least of their worries. Other surviving groups are prepared to do whatever it takes remain alive. Is Sam ready to face whatever they might find waiting for them in town?

Though this is a book based around a zombie apocalypse, zombies are not the focus of the story. It is a slowly paced narrative that relies on a diverse range of characters to describe how they are surviving in this new world. Auburne writes about characters who span a wide age range while making them all feel believable. Sam feels particularly convincing with her headache-inducing teenage attitude.

It is very apparent that the author has previously spent time in the desert. It shows through her description of the landscape and when she details the system that the group develops in order to survive a summer in the desert. While it might be easy to get bogged down in mundane details, I loved reading the exhausting steps the group must go through on a daily basis. I felt like it added to the authenticity of their situation. All of these elements came together to make me feel like I was actually in the desert with them.

While this is definitely more of a character-driven book, it was well worth the wait when the action did pick up. There were a couple of scenes where I couldn't put the book down because I just had to know how the situation was going to pan out. The book does leave off with a pretty open-ended storyline, but that didn't bother me as this is the type of book that is kind of impossible to wrap up with a pretty bow on it.

The only real negative I have about the writing is that it occasionally felt too formal. One of the characters in particular says phrases such as "wait just a minute young lady" and uses the term "missy" several times. It made her seem more like a throwback sitcom character than a modern day mother.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of writing errors scattered throughout the book. Most of it is stuff that could easily be fixed with another round of editing. For instance, "spike in her blood pleasure" was one that really stood out to me. There were also a couple instances of using "lounged" when it should have been lunged. I wish I could have overlooked these, but it happened too many times to count.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The main reason for it losing a star was just a need for some more proofreading. The characters are what makes this book shine and I thoroughly enjoyed going on this journey with them. People who enjoy character-driven books or stories of survival will enjoy this book.

Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the errors, it sounds like a good book. I love good characters, and the survival part sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks, let me know if you decide to check it out!
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Really great review. Definitely sparked my interest in this book.

I know that you said it was clearly a character-driven book, which it totally fine, but do you think the plot suffers for this? Certainly the zombie/post-apocalyptic genre is not one that has a shortage in stories in various media. So, it seems like unless a story is one of the originals of the fad (like Night of the Living Dead), has extremely gripping writing and plot (like The Walking Dead), or is very original (like Warm Bodies) it can be hard to make anything that stands out. It's because the zombie genre is so popular right now, that it's hard to find originality or uniqueness in a story with that genre.

So, do you feel that this book has a solid enough footing among the giants of the zombie genre? Again, I know you said it's character-driven, but even these characters need a firm foundation to lean on.

Thanks and awesome review...
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

I wouldn't say the plot suffers. I think it offers a different perspective on a zombie book in that it doesn't have to be all guts and gore. I watch The Walking Dead and I've read a few zombie books and I do think this book felt like a fresh take on the genre. I would say it would probably appeal more to people that are new to zombie books than those who are more seasoned to it and love the genre for its gripping pace.

Thanks for the questions!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I love post-apocalyptic books and with zombies? Sounds even better! I really enjoy character-driven books, as well. It's too bad about all the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love post-apocalyptic tales and character-driven books. Too bad about the lack of editing. Not sure it is for me, but I will sample the book. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This has probably already been mentioned, but Amanda Carter's story sounds a bit like she is a character from AMC's The Walking Dead. This book may be more intriguing though, despite the editing errors. Thanks for the review. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish it was edited better! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book though. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I assumed this book would be zombie heavy and I don't enjoy zombies. Your review made me take a second look.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I don't typically read zombie novels as I feel like they are all very similar but this one sounds like it has some unique qualities! Too bad about all the editorial issues. Great job on the review!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great in depth review. I love anything to do with apocalyptic and post apocalyptic events in a story. With this based more on the people than the zombies I find this novel intriguing and will be buying this ASAP. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Considering the subject matter, this sounds a like a good book to read. I have always liked post-apocalyptic zombie stories and it's interesting to see how the characters learn to survive in a zombie-infested desert, while dealing with other desperate humans!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Sounds like an interesting book. Would love to know what happened to the characters after entering the zombie world. Thanks for such a wonderful review
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Thanks for the good review! While I enjoy zombies and occasionally a character-driven story, I like a fast pace, so not sure this is a good book for me. There must have been quite a few errors to reduce the rating a whole star.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”