You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Eyrin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by Eyrin »

No if there will still be suffering, hunger, greed and all the heartbreaking things happening.
varadharajan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varadharajan.html

Post by varadharajan »

The Researcher wrote:No I dont think I will want to become an immortal. It would be like exchanging many new exciting lives for an eternally long old one. Or in terms of books it would be like reading a very very long book instead of getting a chance to explore many more new titles and authors :eusa-think:
Most probably I may say yes, subject to condition i should have the memory power and intelligence to predict the future which is next to impossible. Otherwise I may be declared as super human. Then also one day I will be crying for the end of the life. This is for eg; In Hindu mythology Mahabharata there is one charector called 'Aswatthama' ( son of Dhronachariyar who was the teacher for pandavas and gouravas) has been cursed to be immortal,but he was crying for the end. One more eg; In indian political field mahatma Gandhi or Nethaji Subash chandra bose could have been immortal and live today do you think they can tolerate the corrupted politics as on date. So immortality to human being is impossible one.
Marto2017
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marto2017.html

Post by Marto2017 »

I want to suggest it would be a noble idea to choose to be immortal since the challenges of being mortal are too numerous compared to the former.Being sick occasionally, ever struggling and faced with untold want of life's necessities.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
I think I would. It would probably be a bad idea, but it's the way I would look at it.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
ande-ny
Currently Reading: The Heir
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ande-ny.html
Reading Device: B01C5QLN7A

Post by ande-ny »

:roll2: Well this is a super late reply but oh well. Honestly I'm unsure everyone's always talking about the aspect of how you would have to watch your friends and family pass. I mean but just getting to see those who are close to you continue living when if you were dead you wouldn't experience their lives and share in their emotions seems interesting. You could get to be their for everything ,and while it may get lonely you could maybe meet others who are immortal... building relationships with them that last well forever, and while you're religious woes about the reality of afterlife may never be answered you get to stay in the only life you've ever know one on Earth essentially as a "human" .I guess my answer is yes then just for the ever changing concepts and lifestyles you get to see along with the future family lines of people you loved before them, and you would be able to understand the concept of your life since you aren't ever going to have to get rid of it. :eusa-think:
jwheeler28
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwheeler28.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jwheeler28 »

This is a very good question. This is one those answers that I would have to say yes and no to. I would say because then I would never have to worry about dying, or being sick with any of the illnesses that are out there. Also it would be kind of nice to see where the world goes in the future that, if I didn't become immortal I wouldn't get to see. On the other hand, becoming immortal wouldn't be that appealing either, which brings to answer why I might say no. If I chose to be immortal at some point in my life, I wouldn't be able to see my children grow in the physical sense (like actually being there). Instead I would have to watch from a distance. I say it like that because what if they didn't understand why I didn't age like they do. How would one explain that away? So in the end, I don't think I would be able to make that decision unless I was offered it right then and there, with the only option being that this was the only chance I would have at it.
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

I do not want to be immortal. This world is so crazy if you couldn't die you'd go insane from all the drama you'd have to deal with on a daily basis up to eternity.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have often thought about this kind of topic as it does come up quite frequently in the science-fiction/fantasy genres. Evidently, as you can see from the myriad of answers found even within this topic here, there are both sides to consider. Immortality implies forever-ness, and quite frankly, forever is a long time. One can definitely see how being forced (or allowed) to continue on a prolonged existence could not only get boring after awhile, but downright unpleasant. On the other hand, if you either have a privileged existence (unlimited amounts of money, fame, pleasure, power, etc.) available to you, things could be argued to work in your favour. If you have a long-term goal/purpose to exist forever, there is something to consider there as well. If neither of the last two items apply, I honestly think that one would better of foregoing the immortality.
Cherlyn Lee
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cherlyn Lee »

Nope it will be too lonely, but if my loved ones can be immortal too, it will be great! :)
Liberty Henwick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liberty-henwick.html

Post by Liberty Henwick »

I know what you intend to mean in your question, but it called to mind this quote I read today: "Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations–these are mortal…But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub & exploit." CSLewis
I don't believe we have a choice over our immortality, only the way we live it!
Tmn126
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmn126.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tmn126 »

My first instinct is to say that I would not wish to become immortal. However, I would probably want to consider several things such as whether others in my life would choose immortality. If, for example, my children chose it, I would have to seriously re-consider my position. While I think immortality would mean the ability to do a lot of good in the world, it would also force one to continuously be aware of the problems of the day, and that could certainly become tedious and somewhat depressing. All in all, I'm glad that this choice is purely theoretical.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Linda Pumulani

Post by Linda Pumulani »

No. I would never want to leave forever. Our lives are not only about ourselves but they also involve our partners, friends, and family. Living forever without them is meaningless to me. Also, if the was no death, then the world and its resources as it stands will not be able to sustain us all.
Jann Jumonong
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 51575">The girl with a dragon tattoo</a>
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jann-jumonong.html

Post by Jann Jumonong »

When i was younger, I used to like the idea of vampirism since they are immortal in nature and if ever they existed I want to be contagious. But when you thoroughly grow up and just want to enjoy the mundane life, there are times that you'd rather be mortal for life. So for me, I rather be mortal mundane for the rest of my life.
luka alughishvili

Post by luka alughishvili »

of course i would. people see being immortal as a punishment because you will lose all of your friends and so on but imagine, you would see amazing progress of the universe, earth, people. of course i would say yes and it is my dream
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
Being immortal sounds better because I'll loose some things by choosing immortality that I don't want to, such as a chance to experience another life.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”