Official Review: The Caregiver by Maria Theresa Casale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Caregiver by Maria Theresa Casale

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Caregiver" by Maria Theresa Casale.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Caregiver by Maria Theresa Casale is a novel that explores what it means to be a live-in caregiver, essentially “the help.” Lillian Thomas takes a job as a caregiver for elderly Ellen Whitmore, who lives in a grand home in an affluent New Jersey town. She quickly falls in love with the old-fashioned character of her new surroundings. Lillian always tried to secure assignments in fancy, older homes in order to enjoy the ambience and architecture. In this case, Lillian becomes much more attached to the home than the person she is assigned to care for.

The main characters, Ellen and Lillian, are well drawn. Ellen is a fascinating character even though it is difficult to like her. She is a fussy, self-centered woman who is resentful that she hasn’t led a more glamorous life. The author did a good job in fleshing out Ellen’s backstory as a vain, attention-hungry woman in her younger days. It showed that the character was more than the stereotype of a bitter, old woman; actually, she wasn’t the nicest person throughout her entire life. Adding to the drama, Ellen has a strained relationship with her daughter Carlotta.

The writing has a natural flow with vivid imagery and a cozy feel. I could easily picture the house in all of its faded glory and the characters as they go about their routines. There is one detail that I found inconsistent. Early in the story, Ellen’s lawyer tells Lillian there is “no family involved,” which I assumed to mean she had no living family members. As a result, it’s surprising when Ellen’s daughter and granddaughter arrive for an indeterminate stay.

In general, there is too much introspection and the plot is relatively weak. When there is dialogue, it’s realistically written; I just wish there was more of it. A particularly memorable scene takes place between Ellen and her daughter, with a bubbling over of pent-up resentment. The main characters’ thoughts are endlessly described, and it became a bit tedious to read after a while. Although some of the reminiscences are interesting, I felt like I was stuck in slow motion while reading. There is not much propelling the story forward with its focus on the characters’ mundane routines and ruminations.

An extra round or two of editing is needed as there are numerous errors (typos, no space between words, extra quotation marks, incorrect word usage, extra words, etc.). Although the errors don’t detract too much from the story, they are unprofessional in a published work.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The vivid setting and multi-dimensional characters lift the story, although I became a little bored at times. A stronger plot certainly would have kept me more interested. I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate layered characters and don’t mind a slow-paced storyline.

The Caregiver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a book with a potential. Too bad about the typos and the all the rest. It sounds too slow-paced for me taste, but I am glad you enjoyed parts of the tales. Thank you for the insightful review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read books like that myself... It starts to seem like an endless drone. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love "layered characters" but slow moving, not so much. It sounds like there is potential for a very sweet story but much gets in the way of really making that happen.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali, Kandscreeley, and CatintheHat for the feedback. The two main characters had interesting personalities, although I can't say I liked either of them. I agree that there is a lot of potential here.
Aprilyn Milo Demot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprilyn-milo-demot.html

Post by Aprilyn Milo Demot »

It's quite difficult to choose a book for me to read. The story as well as the characters seems good and interesting. I'll read it next time:)Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the insightful review, bookowlie. I like a plot that has a bit more than this, and in general, I do not like to feel bored when I'm reading. So, I don't think this is a book for me. It's too bad of all the errors that the story included, as well. Though, I'm glad to hear that you at least liked the character development!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Aprilyn (welcome to the forums) and Hsimone! Hsimone - it took me a very long time to read this approximately 230-page book. Although I liked the characters, there wasn't much pushing me forward.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like a book I will skip. I appreciate your insightful review. I've had the same experience where it takes a very long time to finish reading a book because there is nothing grabbing you.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Elaine5 wrote:Sounds like a book I will skip. I appreciate your insightful review. I've had the same experience where it takes a very long time to finish reading a book because there is nothing grabbing you.
Thanks Elaine5. Despite the issues I mentioned, the book was still a worthwhile read due to the layered characters.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I guess, this book is too slow and from your review I could make out that the book is kind of family drama tyes. Thanks for your honest review, it was interesting to read.

-- 23 Mar 2017, 11:44 --

I guess, this book is too slow and from your review I could make out that the book is kind of family drama tyes. Thanks for your honest review, it was interesting to read.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by The Researcher »

Thank you for the nice review. It seems that the novel is lengthy and with less substance. Your review helped me make my decision regarding this book.

-- 23 Mar 2017, 23:04 --

Thank you for the nice review. It seems that the novel is lengthy and with less substance. Your review helped me make my decision regarding this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting read with very interesting characters. I'm kind of intrigued by the part 'Lillian becomes much more attached to the home than the person she is assigned to care for' seems like a very appealing home. Too bad about the errors. Great job on the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting read with very interesting characters. I'm kind of intrigued by the part 'Lillian becomes much more attached to the home than the person she is assigned to care for' seems like a very appealing home. Too bad about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thanks Kimmyschemy! Sorry...I just saw this post. I wasn't getting the email alerts about posts for a week or two. The emails finally came through all at once, so I got a bit overwhelmed. Anyway, the characters are developed well and are the strongest part of the book.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Sounds more character-driven than plot driven...
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”