Official Review: Escape by Belle Ami

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Escape by Belle Ami

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Escape by Belle Ami is as much a steamy romance novel as it is a tale of espionage. Layla, a Harvard doctoral student, finds herself part of a terrifying abduction while vacationing in Dubai with her boyfriend. The young couple are separated and Layla is sent to prison in Tehran, a terrifying place where conditions are substandard and the threat to Layla’s life is ever present. Luckily, Layla’s father is well connected and with the help of the Israeli prime minister, puts events in motion to save Layla’s life. Cyrus, an Iranian spy with a dark past, is sent to rescue the American student. Cyrus and Layla’s escape from Iran will be far from easy as they must evade their many pursuers and uncover each other’s true intentions.

Escape is a fast paced, erotic thriller; the combination of the two genres makes for an exhilarating and titillating read. Layla’s naivety coupled with Cyrus’ brooding personality and dedication to his job as a spy, keep the reader guessing as to how the unlikely pair will not only get along, but do so while trying to escape from their terrifying predicament. This book is hard to put down; the author keeps the story moving as the pair jump from one frightening situation to the next. Further, the chemistry between Layla and Cyrus is apparent and adds an emotional element to the fast moving story.

The main characters, Layla and Cyrus, were the most enjoyable aspects of Escape. Both character’s had satisfying backstories and agreeable personalities. The tension between the two was not only well developed but also believable. The relationship could easily have read as unrealistic given the imbalance of power between the two; luckily, the author expertly avoids such a stereotype. In addition to the skillful development of the characters, the story was even more enjoyable because each character, even secondary characters, had purpose; none felt trivial or unimportant. This was essential as it aided in making an incredibly shocking twist about Cyrus’ past both plausible and exciting.

Once the main climax is resolved, the novel takes a seemingly domestic turn. Unfortunately, this turn felt predictable and the later parts of the book lacked the tension and anticipation felt throughout the earlier sections. Overall, the ending felt unsatisfying and took away from the climactic events surrounding Layla’s capture and subsequent attempts to escape.

Escape is a fun, fast paced thriller that many readers will enjoy. I rate Escape 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the predictable and lackluster turn towards the end, I would have happily rated this book higher. Fans of erotic thrillers will surely find enjoyment in this book. It is important to note the book contains graphic sexual scenes and may only be appropriate for a mature audience.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable read. I'm not much into romance but I like reading about espionage. Great job on the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

As with Kimmy, I'm not much on romance. This does sound interesting with the thriller part though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

It sounds like this book has a more unique twist on the normal romance novel. Although it sounds like it is a little disappointing towards the end. Great review!
Goga74
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goga74.html

Post by Goga74 »

Layla is obviously a strong figure and I believe that the book is worth of reading.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This book isn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad that you liked it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

A book full of suspense and thrill. Very interesting.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Sal Mahmoud
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sal Mahmoud »

Nothing as good as a steamy love story with some thrilling adventures thrown into it! Definitely caught my attention right away, and your review just made it sound 10 times better! Excellent job! Keep it up!
Verah
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Verah »

Just the cover of the book makes you want to grab a copy and digest its content
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I enjoy a good plot twist. Too bad the ending let you down.
Thank you for the review.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A steamy romance as well as a tale of espionage? An intriguing mixture. Too bad about the ending, though. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

This book has action, romance and a thrilling pack. So glad it's the beginning of a great, new series.
Alesia
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alesia.html

Post by Alesia »

Cool review. Will definitely consider reading this book. I love romance and combined with espionage makes it sound even more interesting.
Nanou
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nanou »

After reading the free sample, its look very interested and I'm impatient to read the full book. The story seems very fascinating. The characters seems brave and the place the author choose put direclty in the atmosphere.

Congratulations :)
Paras Juneja
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Paras Juneja »

Thanks for advice mam! I'll surely read it now

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”