What Would You Miss?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

What Would You Miss?

Post by Gravy »

This question appears in the inside front cover, and it followed me through the book. With every turn of the page it was in my head.

So what would you miss?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

I would miss my kids, my family, and my friends. Basically, I would miss everything life has to offer. I don't come from money, so I wouldn't miss that, but I would miss the things I do with my family and friends. The time we spend together and just be.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

First and foremost, it would be the people. Without the people I love I might be too paralyzed to even think about anything else. Life does go on though and I think I would miss structure. Meaning I would miss the rules (spoken and unspoken) we all follow. I would miss the order of an organized civilization. I would miss knowing where I fit in the world and what my role is. Oh and of course modern conveniences. I would definitely miss indoor plumbing, the internet, electricity, and modern transportation.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Jmae Delfin
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmae-delfin.html

Post by Jmae Delfin »

I miss the old me the time memories where it cannot be bring back. But life always gives us such a wonderful lesson. We just need to value and understand every situation
Yaseen j
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yaseen j »

Sometimes you miss your family sometimes you miss ordinary things like a phone a bed a pillow it depends
sshanmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sshanmo.html

Post by sshanmo »

I would miss my kids, family, and friends. I would also miss life and all that it has to offer, good or bad. Everything I have experienced in my life has made me the person I am today so I treat them as lessons learned. I would miss my opportunities to continue growing.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I think I would miss showers the most. Modern conveniences of electricity, cell phones, and of course the internet would be hard to adjust to also. Medical care, medicines, and other such products would be difficult to be without.
meagahagan71
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meagahagan71 »

I think the things I would miss the most is my family and friends. A close second would be modern technology like plumbing and electric and I guess the phone to stay in touch. Never really been from money so I wouldn't care if I didn't have that.
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

i'd miss my childhood days , back then i was a bird which didn't cared and flew across the mountains and the rivers without caring about the vultures, the eagles .... :) i 'd surely miss those days..
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Most of the answers here have been that they would miss the people and their families. I understand what they are saying, and perhaps it is a valid response (assuming they did not survive the plague with you). That being said, the question inside the front cover, in my opinion, is directly related to the collapse of technology as we know it. The oldest remaining survivors will be the only ones who still know what the purpose of that now shiny brick with the word "iPhone" on it actually is. The characters are marvelled by the idea of technology, computer screens, and even trying to understand what the concept of the internet is. I think my answer here is impossible to say, because, we really don't know what we have until it is gone. The thing that you tend to miss the most is something that has become second nature to you already and that you don't think about.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I think I would miss showers the most. Modern conveniences of electricity, cell phones, and of course the internet would be hard to adjust to also. Medical care, medicines, and other such products would be difficult to be without.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Gravy wrote:This question appears in the inside front cover, and it followed me through the book. With every turn of the page it was in my head.

So what would you miss?
I'll miss every good thing, every good person and every good experience.(Thinking of such things makes me feel sad :( )
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I reckon being able to pick up a phone or laptop and being able to communicate with someone wherever in the world they may be. It's amazing how much technology we rely on in our day to day lives...
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I would miss the convenience of our world. That's kind of cheating because it's not one specific thing, but I think it's also something I majorly take for granted.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by The Researcher »

I will miss everything and everyone. Every one from the least acquainted to the most loved. Everything from the most bizarre to most significant. It is what around us is, makes what we are.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”