Official Review: Godhead by J. Austin Tomlinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Official Review: Godhead by J. Austin Tomlinson

Post by Kitkat3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Godhead" by J. Austin Tomlinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Godhead by J. Austin Tomlinson details a year and three months of Tomlinson’s life in which he reached Enlightenment through diary entries, poems, songs, and descriptions of dreams. He lets the reader into his mind and explains his emotions as this transformation slowly takes place. Tomlinson was a Christian, so when three of his friends, all atheists, passed away, he was overwhelmed with sorrow. According to the Christian faith, his friends were not allowed to enter heaven. He abandons his religion and continues living his life. A trip to Brazil, an old friend named Daniel, and an Oregon wilderness Outward Bound trip help him find God again, but also for the first time.

Tomlinson experiences unconditional love and lucid dreams and spends his time researching Enlightenment and Self-Realization. He discusses duality of Consciousness, non-duality, the ego, meditation, chakras, multiple religions, and yoga. The ultimate point of this combination of personal experience and research findings is to demonstrate that every religion is searching for the same truth that love is God and we are all God, because God is literally in each of us. Religion is not the point, and the prophets did not intend for their truths to become religions but instead a form of self-discovery. The key to happiness and the purpose of life is unconditional love. He goes further and says that selfishness is the cause of all suffering in the world. Tomlinson shows through his personal experience that Enlightenment is just realizing what has been inside of you all along.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, because even though it was a joy to read, I feel that it could be improved. I did not understand the use of so many parentheses while I was reading, and I found this distracting. At the end, that is explained, but I believe that it would help the reader if this was explained at the start. There are also subject shifts that can be hard to follow at times. This book was written to accurately detail life events, but it can be hard to follow while you are reading. There are a few typos, but they are not extremely disrupting. I also noticed details that I found unnecessary to the point of the book such as the information about Brant’s girlfriend. I understand that this was part of his experience, but it does not help his overall point.

I enjoyed reading Godhead, because it really embodies some of my own feelings about religion and the self. One of my favorite parts was when he states that your personal need for approval from others will disappear when you accept yourself. I like that he accounts our unhappiness to the superficial nature of society. Tomlinson has clearly done a lot of research, and that shows in this book. After reading this, I am interested in reading more about this subject. I appreciate how open and personal the author was about his experiences.

While reading, I had question after question and most of them were answered somewhere in the narrative. I feel pretty comfortable with my level of understanding of such an abstract subject, and for that reason, I think that this book was successful. It takes a while to read and fully understand everything he talks about. At some points, you may find that you have to stop reading and think for a while before continuing. I would recommend Godhead to people that are interested in a new way of thinking and are looking for peace and joy in their lives. He beautifully explains the key to happiness and why we tend to feel ‘emptiness’ at our core.

Godhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kitkat3's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow - great review; I am glad you enjoyed this book, although it would not be for me, pretty sure.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

What a great review! I think this will help a lot of readers decide if this is a book they want to read.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like you did a good job reviewing the book, but it definitely isn't one I would enjoy. Thanks though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Wow - great review; I am glad you enjoyed this book, although it would not be for me, pretty sure.
Thank you. :D

-- Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 am --
MsMartha wrote:What a great review! I think this will help a lot of readers decide if this is a book they want to read.
Thank you! :D The book definitely helped me with self-growth. I'm glad that my review is effective!

-- Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am --
kandscreeley wrote:It does sound like you did a good job reviewing the book, but it definitely isn't one I would enjoy. Thanks though!
Thank you for reading my review! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”