Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cancelled" by Michael Pinsky.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Cancelled by Michael Pinsky, a thrilling political novel, the president of the United States is not ready to give up his seat at the White House. So, he hatches a plan to cancel the upcoming election. Unbeknownst to him, his plans are not entirely secret and pretty soon a group of men, consisting of both ex-army men and politicians, decide to take things into their own hands and make sure the election goes on as previously arranged. Various elements of this book draw upon events that have happened in real life and real life personalities. If you follow the news, then you will notice the similarities and that will make it all the more enjoyable to read.

I had a hard time deciding what I would rate this novel. While it is incredibly entertaining, I was conflicted about the underlying notes of racism throughout the book, which I felt could be dangerous, specially in a time like today where we need to bring people together and not drive them further apart. I also felt like this book was very pro-Trump. In the end, I decided to do an unbiased review therefore I did not let this influence my rating.

I gave this novel 3 out of 4 stars. The plot of this book is incredibly entertaining; there was never a dull moment. My favorite thing about this novel was how the author took headlines straight out of the everyday news and added his own twist to them.

It was a little difficult keeping track of all the characters. Many of the characters were introduced around the same time and they also had names that were similar. So, for most of the book I had to keep on going back to the pages where they were introduced for me to understand who the author was talking about. Also, there are only a handful of developed characters who have actual backstories and personalities. The rest of the characters seemed like they were only names.

Other than a few minor editing mistakes, this book was great up until the last few pages. I felt like the ending was rushed, therefore I was left unsatisfied. I wish there was a chapter telling us where certain characters ended up in the next year or so.

To conclude, Cancelled by Michael Pinsky is a great novel to read when you are looking for pure entertainment, but first you need to put aside your own political views and biases to thoroughly enjoy the experience of reading this book.

Cancelled
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This is an interesting and dangerous topic for this day and age. Nevertheless it sounds really interesting. I don't normally read political thrillers, but you have me intrigued. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Yes, it indeed is. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it. :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:
Thank you so much! I figured giving a biased review wouldn't give justice to the author's hard work.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:
This exactly. However I don't think I could remain unbiased and political thrillers aren't my thing so I'll have to pass on this one. But I just had to say congrats on the excellent review!
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

ashley_claire wrote:This exactly. However I don't think I could remain unbiased and political thrillers aren't my thing so I'll have to pass on this one. But I just had to say congrats on the excellent review!
Yeah sometimes it is hard to remain unbiased and aw, thank you! :D
rbhavsar236
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by rbhavsar236 »

it is a a really nice review and also a nice book.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Yikes! I love the plot idea, but I hate the political undertones. Books are a way to put out propaganda for whatever cause, but they usually turn people off if you don't already agree with the ideology.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great review. It is discouraging to read that the characters became confusing. It seems stressful to keep referring to their introduction to maintain who is who. The book does sound interesting, though. Thank you for sharing your honest, unbiased review.
Madison Degraffenreid
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice job in being objective here - it's tough if you don't really agree with the content. Though I must say that a president cancelling elections and current news with a twist sounds exciting. Too bad about the underdevelopment of some of the characters here. Thanks for the great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds intriguing and far too possible. Well done for not letting the content influenced your review. Not sure it is for me, but will check it out. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

When first reading your review, I thought the plot sounded so unique that I had to read it. A story about a president scheming to keep his position? That sounds so intriguing! On the other hand, you mentioned that there is a lot of racism and the author comes off as Pro-Trump. So in that case, I'll have to give this novel a pass.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I admire the reviewer for giving a fair review despite the fact that she is not pro-Trump. Congrats for a good review!
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

This book sounds like it is perfect for the times we live in. I would have to put my views aside to really enjoy it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”