Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
tatendawaynesibanda
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Post by tatendawaynesibanda »

no, I won't enjoy immortality because looking at the current situation of people suffering and death, well honestly its too much to take in. its better we live our average age and enjoy the time we have now and not have regrets at old age.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I don't want to live forever. Immortality is an empty promise to me. Instead of really living your life, you would be forced to watch your life slowly move by and evolve without you. That is a tragedy. It would also be impossible to really connect to anyone, unless they too were immortal. I like the following quote from Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. “Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.”
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I think immortality would allow me to be more reckless. If I didn't have to worry about death, I could accomplish a lot of things, I think. I could spend more time on long-term projects and know that I would have time to finish them. It might make me more of a procrastinator, though! I think I would enjoy it for a time, but it would be something terrible after a while, especially if I was the only one who was immortal.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
sri nagasudha
Currently Reading: The Royal Secret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sri nagasudha »

Immortality for my work YES, for my life definitely NO.

I like totality in everything. I like to see a complete picture, like to know a complete story. I don't like to stuck with any one aspect for a prolonged period. I love variety. I can appreciate a thing only when it has a beginning and an end. For me END is a beautiful finish. A life without an END is like a soap opera, I lose interest very quickly after a few episodes.Reason DRAGGING.

Immortality makes one ageless plus emotionless.Emotions are the essence of life for me. For me life is a vacation. I Enjoy every shade of my life.I like to form opinion about different shades of life, want to create my own mark, by expressing them in an impressive way. In that way I desire to make my work IMMORTAL. I like to LIVE through my work, not with my body.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Absolutely. I am the type of person that will do his best to make the best of any situation. If I have been given the opportunity (curse?) to be immortal, I would then I would take advantage of it to the fullest and make the best (consequently enjoying it). It is a similar type of argument for a fully negative occurrence. Someone who has suffered an immense tragedy (loss of a limb, loved one, sever illness, etc) can either choose to fade into depression, or live their lives to the fullest.
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

The biggest thing would be, are my loved ones immortal, too? If so, then I would enjoy every moment with them, and utilize my immortal life towards accomplishing all I could. If not, then nothing I could do or see or smell or taste or accomplish, nothing at all would be worth it.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
EdnaLaDuh
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by EdnaLaDuh »

Since it is immortality, I could never die. Maybe at first I would enjoy it, it'll definitely be fun to be special, being unable to die and all. However, I can honestly say, I'm not very fond of living forever on Earth. It can be such a tiring and stressful place. Unable to die doesn't make me unable to suffer. If I were immortal and got really sick of life, like really tired, full of pain and suffering (physically/ emotionally/ psychologically/ all of the above), wanting to end it, I would get really depressed that I just couldn't die. So I wouldn't be able to enjoy immortality after a long time, but I guess it has its pros and cons. Imagine suffering for so long but never reaching the limit of pain that is death, because there is no limit... Life with no limits might not be that great after all.
Tags
Currently Reading: The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tags.html

Post by Tags »

I would say that it is more of phylosophical question than a real one, as a regular social human being in vivid mind would not be able to survive metaly the burdain of the "forever". As being immortal means being alive when all the people you can possible care about will no longer be there and the idea of having new poeple, connection, attractions and any sort of interactions become useless from immortality perspective....So I guess if one is to survive immortality that person has to have no memory, no heart and no soul in the most genral and human meaning of those words...So I guess I wouldn't want to be immortal.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

With all the miseries in this world around me, my answer is 'no'.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Some wish to exist on Earth forever, but I don't. Doing the same routine everyday, I think, would be so tiring. Moreover, it would he very depressing to witness to see your loved ones pass away. To live longer than the average life span would be great, but to live eternally, I think, is somewhat dreadful.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
vidhya S
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhya-s.html

Post by vidhya S »

If somehow I became immortal, I would be able to enjoy it as long as my family is at my side. I will live as I live now.
geraldmachanja

Post by geraldmachanja »

I can never enjoy being immortal.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think it would depend on those around me. The problem with immortality would be the loneliness. If you haven't got anyone to share that with that would be hard. Also the lives of those around you would seem very short. I think it would make you wary of making a connection with someone as it would feel fleeting.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Sure but the joy wouldn't last. Pretty sure I'll get bored of eventually.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Yes, I would be able to enjoy immortality by traveling around the world. This gives me the chance to see different places and people living around the world.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”