Official Review: The Murder of Meagan McFarlin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: The Murder of Meagan McFarlin

Post by Leese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Murder of Meagan McFarlin" by M. Troy McDaniel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Murder of Meagan McFarlin is a true crime story written by M. Troy McDaniel, a former deputy of the Caddo Parish Police Department in Louisiana, which takes us through the hunt for the dangerous killer of two Texan women.

First of all, I'm a huge fan of true crime stories and documentaries, so this book appealed to me straight away from just the title alone. I'd never heard of Meagan McFarlin, so I knew nothing of her murder and the case that surrounded it, but I was looking forward to it.

The fact that the book is written by a former detective who led the case made it all the more intriguing. McDaniel takes us through the investigations of two murders that, originally, may seem to have nothing in common, but they indeed share a common and deadly link.

Initially a case of mistaken identity when the body of a young woman is found wearing a piece of jewellery belonging to another missing female, McDaniel and his partner believe they have found Meagan McFarlin, only to later discover (after informing Meagan's parents of their findings) that the body is that of a woman named Jennifer. It comes to light that both women have something in common and the police are led to David Ray Wammack.

The book is written in such a way that we are given enough details about the crimes and the manners of the murders without it being too gory or graphic, which is good for readers who may not be able to handle things that are a little too gritty. While still harrowing, we are spared anything that would be too stomach-churning.

We're also taken through the interview and interrogation process and McDaniel sheds a little light on the difference between the two, highlighting the aims of the detectives throughout each procedure. It's not exactly the good-cop/bad-cop routine we're often shown on TV, but the importance of building rapport with the suspect and displaying empathy and understanding to get them to open up is evident, despite any personal feelings of disgust and anger felt towards the person being interrogated.

McDaniel gives great respect to the victims of the crimes and their families throughout; telling their stories and backgrounds to make sure they are recognised as individuals and not just crime statistics. This is further evidenced by the fact that he credits Meagan's family – particularly her mother – as being crucial to the investigation and consequently leading the police to the perpetrator before he could kill again. He speaks of the strength and courage of the family and notes that without their help, they probably would have been a lot slower in closing the case.

It's interesting to note that the crime involved police divisions in two separate states; one of which would have the opportunity to sentence the killer to death if convicted and the other which would impose a life sentence. I found this particularly interesting and enjoyed learning a little about the different jurisdictions and the differences between them.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It really is fascinating to view a case from the other side and gain a little insight into the mind of a detective as he works day and night; sacrificing meals, sleep and time with family, to ensure another murder isn't committed before the killer is apprehended and brought to justice. McDaniel clearly shows the dedication and commitment that it takes to solve a crime and bring closure and justice for the families of the victims.

One thing that really caused me to mark this book down was the amount of editing errors that stood out to me. Misspellings, occasional words missing in sentences and Meagan's name was even incorrectly spelled at one point. If a little more care had been taken in the proof-reading and editing stages then this would have been creeping towards a fourth star. As it stands, I can't award it maximum marks because the errors, at least to me, were incredibly noticeable. With a little polishing and professional editing, this book would improve substantially and would most likely have gotten four stars from me.

The Murder of Meagan McFarlin
View: on Bookshelves

Like Leese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

wow - this does sound like a very compelling book. True stories are generally the best to read, given they are well-written, which it sounds like this is. Too bad about the errors, but that is a minor fix. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Except for the editing errors, this sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wonderful review! This sounds like a very enjoyable book. I hope that the author takes your advice to heart and gets the book professionally edited. If he does, I will definitely read it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also am a fan of true crime. This does sound interesting. I might have to put it on my to read list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

It sounds like a very interesting story and it's nice that it's from the point of view of someone who was there first hand. Thanks for the great review!
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Murder mysteries are my all time interests and your review has raised the curiosity bubble in me to find out all about the story. The review is actually very intriguing and the fact that it is based on a true story with the detective writing about the case himself is all the more fascinating.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”